SU!: Question/Problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Nancy Sutton

I was all ready yesterday for my craft sale and I was all geared up to meet people and do well.  I had a great location, setup and display. The problem wasn't that there was another Stampin' Up Demo there selling cards, it was her price!  She was selling her cards for $2.00 each including the envelope.  The cards were simple layers (2) with Christmas stamp, some blending colour and DSP.  They were nice cards.
My cards had more embellishments like the window cups with snow in them, embossing both wet and dry, DSP, anyway, my cards were  nice too but I was charging $4.00.  I know everyone has the right to set their own prices but how can someone devalue themselves and their product so much.  I doubt very much that $2.00 a card covered her materials, $20.00 for the table and gas there and back.  When she tyold me $2.00 I said right away, "you've got to be kidding me"  She just responded "Yes"  
Completely ruined my day!
I did get her business card and I plan on having her over, get to know her and over time try to change her position on pricing :)

Nancy

Nancy Sutton
Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Kingston, On
www.rainbowsandbutterflies.stampinup.net
www.facebook.com/2stamp4you

A good day always includes stamping!!

Nancy Sutton
Kingston, Ontario
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Question/Problem

Deborah Smart

wlEmoticon-sadsmile[1].png (1K) Download Attachment

Nancy, I ran into the same issue at a craft fair I had a table at 2 weekends ago.  There was a young lady there – not a demo, but obviously used Stampin’ Up! products to create her cards – she was selling them from $2 all the way down to 50cents!!!  Hers were also nice; a couple of layers, some had embellishments.... I had mine priced at $3 each, or 4/$10.  

Did I sell any cards?  Nope, not a single one!  Was she busy at her table?  You betcha!!  And she sold nothing but her cards – she had no other craft items, only cards.  Luckily, I had other hand made items using SU! products.

I just don’t get how or why people sell their crafts so cheaply; like you said, she certainly couldn’t be covering the cost to make them – except by selling volumes, I guess.

Oh well – I kept my prices as they were; I just can’t afford to ‘give away’ my products

Deborah Smart
Your Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator
604.298.0472 debsmart@
www.stampandcreate.net
www.facebook.com/stampandcreate
www.pinterest.com/deborahstamps  

Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2013 1:12 PM
To: SUDSOL
Subject: SU!: Question/Problem

I was all ready yesterday for my craft sale and I was all geared up to meet people and do well.  I had a great location, setup and display. The problem wasn't that there was another Stampin' Up Demo there selling cards, it was her price!  She was selling her cards for $2.00 each including the envelope.  The cards were simple layers (2) with Christmas stamp, some blending colour and DSP.  They were nice cards.

My cards had more embellishments like the window cups with snow in them, embossing both wet and dry, DSP, anyway, my cards were  nice too but I was charging $4.00.  I know everyone has the right to set their own prices but how can someone devalue themselves and their product so much.  I doubt very much that $2.00 a card covered her materials, $20.00 for the table and gas there and back.  When she tyold me $2.00 I said right away, "you've got to be kidding me"  She just responded "Yes"  
Completely r uined my day!
I did get her business card and I plan on having her over, get to know her and over time try to change her position on pricing :)

Nancy

Nancy Sutton
Kingston, On

Deborah Smart
Stampin' Discuss Summary Coordinator
Reply | Threaded
|

Maria Pobre
In reply to this post by Nancy Sutton

I have a similar problem... except they are people I know.  Makes it hard for those of us who value our time and talent.  I just know that those who DO buy my cards ALWAYS come back for more!  ☺️

Happy Stampin'~

Maria Pobre (on Guam)
Your Stampin' Up! Demonstrator!

Blog:  http://www.stampingwithmia.com
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Country-Crafts-and-More/163957776947703
PartyLite:  http://www.partylite.biz/sites/miaguam

> On Nov 25, 2013, at 7:12 AM, Nancy Sutton <sergeantmajor0313@> wrote:
>
> I was all ready yesterday for my craft sale and I was all geared up to meet people and do well.  I had a great location, setup and display. The problem wasn't that there was another Stampin' Up Demo there selling cards, it was her price!  She was selling her cards for $2.00 each including the envelope.  The cards were simple layers (2) with Christmas stamp, some blending colour and DSP.  They were nice cards.
>
> My cards had more embellishments like the window cups with snow in them, embossing both wet and dry, DSP, anyway, my cards were  nice too but I was charging $4.00.  I know everyone has the right to set their own prices but how can someone devalue themselves and their product so much.  I doubt very much that $2.00 a card covered her materials, $20.00 for the table and gas there and back.  When she tyold me $2.00 I said right away, "you've got to be kidding me"  She just responded "Yes"  
> Completely ruined my day!
> I did get her business card and I plan on having her over, get to know her and over time try to change her position on pricing :)
>
> Nancy
>
> Nancy Sutton
> Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
> Kingston, On
> www.rainbowsandbutterflies.stampinup.net
> www.facebook.com/2stamp4you
>
> A good day always includes stamping!!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
|

Krista Pomeroy

That is the problem when there are more than one seller from the same company. I try to only do fairs that limit it to one seller per company.
Having said that I did a vendor/craft fair yesterday and my cards are priced at $4. I walked around the room and saw another vendor (not a SU! Vendor) and she had a rack of cards and the sign said $1 per card. What??? I didn't look too close at them so can't say if they should have been priced higher or not. I also don't know how many she sold and her other products weren't paper products.
But I sold out of almost everything else I had, so it was a good day.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Reply | Threaded
|

Robin Messenheimer

I went to a craft fair yesterday - biggest one in our area that's really a craft fair. Cards and many of the type of crafts that we as demos sell we're priced very, very low. But it's what the market in our area demands. That's why I don't waste my time with the shows. People I know pay me well for my cards, so those are the people to whom I sell.

Robin

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 24, 2013, at 1:13 PM, Krista Pomeroy <purplewine1953@> wrote:
>
>
>
> That is the problem when there are more than one seller from the same company. I try to only do fairs that limit it to one seller per company.
> Having said that I did a vendor/craft fair yesterday and my cards are priced at $4. I walked around the room and saw another vendor (not a SU! Vendor) and she had a rack of cards and the sign said $1 per card. What??? I didn't look too close at them so can't say if they should have been priced higher or not. I also don't know how many she sold and her other products weren't paper products.
> But I sold out of almost everything else I had, so it was a good day.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
>
> From: Nancy Sutton <sergeantmajor0313@>;
> To: SUDSOL <sudsol@>;
> Subject: SU!: Question/Problem
> Sent: Sun, Nov 24, 2013 9:12:59 PM
>
> I was all ready yesterday for my craft sale and I was all geared up to meet people and do well.  I had a great location, setup and display. The problem wasn't that there was another Stampin' Up Demo there selling cards, it was her price!  She was selling her cards for $2.00 each including the envelope.  The cards were simple layers (2) with Christmas stamp, some blending colour and DSP.  They were nice cards.
>
> My cards had more embellishments like the window cups with snow in them, embossing both wet and dry, DSP, anyway, my cards were  nice too but I was charging $4.00.  I know everyone has the right to set their own prices but how can someone devalue themselves and their product so much.  I doubt very much that $2.00 a card covered her materials, $20.00 for the table and gas there and back.  When she tyold me $2.00 I said right away, "you've got to be kidding me"  She just responded "Yes"  
> Completely ruined my day!
> I did get her business card and I plan on having her over, get to know her and over time try to change her position on pricing :)
>
> Nancy
>
> Nancy Sutton
> Kingston, On
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Robin Messenheimer Hilo, Hawaii https://robinscraftroom.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Nancy Sutton

Yes, I believe you are correct.  Craft Sales are alot of work for the return.  I won't be doing any more any time soon  Thanks for your input

Nancy

Nancy Sutton
Kingston, On

On 2013-11-24, at 9:38 PM, Robin Messenheimer wrote:

>
> I went to a craft fair yesterday - biggest one in our area that's really a craft fair. Cards and many of the type of crafts that we as demos sell we're priced very, very low. But it's what the market in our area demands. That's why I don't waste my time with the shows. People I know pay me well for my cards, so those are the people to whom I sell.
>
> Robin
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 24, 2013, at 1:13 PM, Krista Pomeroy <purplewine1953@> wrote:
>
>> That is the problem when there are more than one seller from the same company. I try to only do fairs that limit it to one seller per company.
>> Having said that I did a vendor/craft fair yesterday and my cards are priced at $4. I walked around the room and saw another vendor (not a SU! Vendor) and she had a rack of cards and the sign said $1 per card. What??? I didn't look too close at them so can't say if they should have been priced higher or not. I also don't know how many she sold and her other products weren't paper products.
>> But I sold out of almost everything else I had, so it was a good day.
>>
>> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>>
>>
>> From: Nancy Sutton <sergeantmajor0313@>;
>> To: SUDSOL <sudsol@>;
>> Subject: SU!: Question/Problem
>> Sent: Sun, Nov 24, 2013 9:12:59 PM
>>
>>  
>> I was all ready yesterday for my craft sale and I was all geared up to meet people and do well.  I had a great location, setup and display. The problem wasn't that there was another Stampin' Up Demo there selling cards, it was her price!  She was selling her cards for $2.00 each including the envelope.  The cards were simple layers (2) with Christmas stamp, some blending colour and DSP.  They were nice cards.
>>
>> My cards had more embellishments like the window cups with snow in them, embossing both wet and dry, DSP, anyway, my cards were  nice too but I was charging $4.00.  I know everyone has the right to set their own prices but how can someone devalue themselves and their product so much.  I doubt very much that $2.00 a card covered her materials, $20.00 for the table and gas there and back.  When she tyold me $2.00 I said right away, "you've got to be kidding me"  She just responded "Yes"  
>> Completely ruined my day!
>> I did get her business card and I plan on having her over, get to know her and over time try to change her position on pricing :)
>>
>> Nancy
>>
>> Nancy Sutton
>> Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
>> Kingston, On
>> www.rainbowsandbutterflies.stampinup.net
>> www.facebook.com/2stamp4you
>>
>> A good day always includes stamping!!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>

Nancy Sutton
Kingston, Ontario
Reply | Threaded
|

Judy Di Scipio

We have a Craft Bazaar once or twice a year.  We have a group in Denver called Mile High Stampers who can participate if we want.  We invite the ladies and gentlemen who are our customers as well as  who all come to our monthly Stamp Camps.  By doing this, we get people who appreciate our hand made cards and miscellaneous items and we have some M&T's they can pay to make.  You get out of it what you put into it.  I consistently make over $500 each time.  We hold them at a church so cost is reasonable.  We used to have a booth at The Grandmother's House Boutique Show and it would cost us over $600.00 just for the floor space.  We quit doing that.  I think the people who shop that event don't appreciate the time, materials, and talent put into our "works of art".    Judy in Littleton, CO.  :)
Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 24, 2013, at 10:18 PM, "Nancy Sutton" <sergeantmajor0313@> wrote:
>
> Yes, I believe you are correct.  Craft Sales are alot of work for the return.  I won't be doing any more any time soon  Thanks for your input
>
>
> Nancy
>
> Nancy Sutton
> Kingston, On
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>> On 2013-11-24, at 9:38 PM, Robin Messenheimer wrote:
>>
>>  
>>
>> I went to a craft fair yesterday - biggest one in our area that's really a craft fair. Cards and many of the type of crafts that we as demos sell we're priced very, very low. But it's what the market in our area demands. That's why I don't waste my time with the shows. People I know pay me well for my cards, so those are the people to whom I sell.
>>
>> Robin
>>
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Nov 24, 2013, at 1:13 PM, Krista Pomeroy <purplewine1953@> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> That is the problem when there are more than one seller from the same company. I try to only do fairs that limit it to one seller per company.
>>> Having said that I did a vendor/craft fair yesterday and my cards are priced at $4. I walked around the room and saw another vendor (not a SU! Vendor) and she had a rack of cards and the sign said $1 per card. What??? I didn't look too close at them so can't say if they should have been priced higher or not. I also don't know how many she sold and her other products weren't paper products.
>>> But I sold out of almost everything else I had, so it was a good day.
>>>
>>> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>>>
>>>
>>> From: Nancy Sutton <sergeantmajor0313@>;
>>> To: SUDSOL <sudsol@>;
>>> Subject: SU!: Question/Problem
>>> Sent: Sun, Nov 24, 2013 9:12:59 PM
>>>
>>>  
>>> I was all ready yesterday for my craft sale and I was all geared up to meet people and do well.  I had a great location, setup and display. The problem wasn't that there was another Stampin' Up Demo there selling cards, it was her price!  She was selling her cards for $2.00 each including the envelope.  The cards were simple layers (2) with Christmas stamp, some blending colour and DSP.  They were nice cards.
>>>
>>> My cards had more embellishments like the window cups with snow in them, embossing both wet and dry, DSP, anyway, my cards were  nice too but I was charging $4.00.  I know everyone has the right to set their own prices but how can someone devalue themselves and their product so much.  I doubt very much that $2.00 a card covered her materials, $20.00 for the table and gas there and back.  When she tyold me $2.00 I said right away, "you've got to be kidding me"  She just responded "Yes"  
>>> Completely ruined my day!
>>> I did get her business card and I plan on having her over, get to know her and over time try to change her position on pricing :)
>>>
>>> Nancy
>>>
>>> Nancy Sutton
>>> Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
>>> Kingston, On
>>> www.rainbowsandbutterflies.stampinup.net
>>> www.facebook.com/2stamp4you
>>>
>>> A good day always includes stamping!!
>
>
Reply | Threaded
|

Maria Pobre

I consider any sales I get from things I have made to be a bonus.  What doesn't sell... becomes gifts.  My goal is more about finding new customers... either for supplies or classes!

Happy Stampin'~

Maria Pobre (on Guam)
Your Stampin' Up! Demonstrator!

Blog:  http://www.stampingwithmia.com
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Country-Crafts-and-More/163957776947703
PartyLite:  http://www.partylite.biz/sites/miaguam

> On Nov 25, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Nancy Sutton <sergeantmajor0313@> wrote:
>
> Yes, I believe you are correct.  Craft Sales are alot of work for the retur=
> n.  I won't be doing any more any time soon  Thanks for your input
>
> Nancy
>
> Nancy Sutton
> Kingston, On
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On 2013-11-24, at 9:38 PM, Robin M
Reply | Threaded
|

Liz Holloway

Hi all

Sorry I've been out of the loop. I wish to add my views of my craft
fairs. Yes it is a lot work when you are doing a craft fair but it is also
rewarding when people see your work and purchase them. Many
have followed me for years and keep buying.

I have some people asking where I teach and it is a way of getting new
customers. I have been at 3 craft fairs this year and my customer base list
keeps growing. Craft fair is more of a supplement income.

Whenever you do something like this you need to ask yourself whether you
want to make money or get new customers. You can have both but pending on
region and advertisement s done by the organizers you may not get your
sales but have a lot of potential customers.

I hope this helps.
Liz

On Sunday, November 24, 2013, Maria wrote:

>
>
> I consider any sales I get from things I have made to be a bonus.  What
> doesn't sell... becomes gifts.  My goal is more about finding new
> customers... either for supplies or classes!
>
> Happy Stampin'~
>
> Maria Pobre (on Guam)
> Your Stampin' Up! Demonstrator!
>
> Blog:  http://www.stampingwithmia.com
> Website:  http://miaguam.stampinup.net
> Facebook:
> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Country-Crafts-and-More/163957776947703
> PartyLite:  http://www.partylite.biz/sites/miaguam
>
> On Nov 25, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Nancy Sutton <sergeantmajor0313@>
> wrote:
>
> Yes, I believe you are correct.  Craft Sales are alot of work for the
> retur=
> n.  I won't be doing any more any time soon  Thanks for your input
>
> Nancy
>
> Nancy Sutton
> Kingston, On
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On 2013-11-24, at 9:38 PM, Robin M
>
>  
>

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile
Reply | Threaded
|

Ellen

I used to do craft shows when I did needle work. BUT, what was hard,
was the person who always wanted to cut the price. I would rather give
my things away to the shelter for battered women than to sell it cheap
to someone who has money!!!  Just me. A lot of craft shows are also
expensive in this area. So I will not be doing any more.

I will do Vender shows. There are several in the area and I hope to
hook up with a couple this year. I see that as a more win, win. Just
people who want to see these type of home based products. I am getting
my stuff together to do that with classes, mini make and takes,
business cards, free classes, door prizes, etc.  Anything to get this
going more.

Ellen Williams
Stamping in North Dakota

On 11/25/13, Liz Holloway <liz.holloway@> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Sorry I've been out of the loop. I wish to add my views of my craft
> fairs. Yes it is a lot work when you are doing a craft fair but it is also
> rewarding when people see your work and purchase them. Many
> have followed me for years and keep buying.
>
> I have some people asking where I teach and it is a way of getting new
> customers. I have been at 3 craft fairs this year and my customer base list
> keeps growing. Craft fair is more of a supplement income.
>
> Whenever you do something like this you need to ask yourself whether you
> want to make money or get new customers. You can have both but pending on
> region and advertisement s done by the organizers you may not get your
> sales but have a lot of potential customers.
>
> I hope this helps.
> Liz
>
>
> On Sunday, November 24, 2013, Maria wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> I consider any sales I get from things I have made to be a bonus.  What
>> doesn't sell... becomes gifts.  My goal is more about finding new
>> customers... either for supplies or classes!
>>
>> Happy Stampin'~
>>
>> Maria Pobre (on Guam)
>> Your Stampin' Up! Demonstrator!
>>
>> Blog:  http://www.stampingwithmia.com
>> Website:  http://miaguam.stampinup.net
>> Facebook:
>> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Country-Crafts-and-More/163957776947703
>> PartyLite:  http://www.partylite.biz/sites/miaguam
>>
>> On Nov 25, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Nancy Sutton <sergeantmajor0313@>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I believe you are correct.  Craft Sales are alot of work for the
>> retur=
>> n.  I won't be doing any more any time soon  Thanks for your input
>>
>> Nancy
>>
>> Nancy Sutton
>> Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
>> Kingston, On
>> www.rainbowsandbutterflies.stampinup.net
>> www.facebook.com/2stamp4you
>>
>> A good day always includes stamping!!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 2013-11-24, at 9:38 PM, Robin M
>>