Where We Share Our Excess Supplies!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where We Share Our Excess Supplies!

Charlotte Lindmeier
I have to say I was impressed with all the places SU demonstrators share their supplies. I hope everyone gets ideas from our answers this week. Thanks to the demonstrators that shared their answers this week. Sharing is what makes SUDSOL so great. Our winner, Debra Brown, wins a week of FREE SUDSOL this week.

Our question this week is:
When you decide to donate some of your excess supplies where do you take them?

I usually donate mine to my high school classroom! I teach the 7-12 graders I have that a nice handmade, hand written card is never out of style.  It's funny how many of them now come to my room to grab supplies to make a quick card!  This has been especially helpful when we have a tragic occurrence, it helps the students concentrate on creating and expressing their grief by taking all the time they need to create.
Everything is on a bookshelf near my desk and readily available for those who need it.
**I donate mine excess supplies to an organization called HALO.  The money that they get for donated items (in their thrift store) helps pay for food for the needy and fund their homeless shelter.
I’ve donated mine to our Once Again Shoppe. Its a Christian based store that everything is donated. Workers put a price on it and then people shop in their store. Some of the donations are then given to people who have lost their home, their clothing and basically everything in a fire. The store has basically anything you can think of.
When I moved 2 years ago I could not take it all with me.  I donated to my grand daughter's preschool, my other grand daughter's school, and the local Center for Life Enrichment which has art classes each week for adults with disabilities.
I belong to a crafting group that does a periodic "De-stashing" event. All supplies not claimed by attendees are donated to a pre-determined group. We've donated boxes of stamps, paper, punches, storage containers, and embellishments to senior centers, after-school student programs, and teacher classrooms.
I've also offered up supplies and extra Paper Pumpkin kits to moms in my area who at home with their kids right now and need indoor activities.
I donate stuff to an organization called Crayons to Computers.  It's a supply resource for all public school teachers in Hamilton County.  They go to the place and "shop" for what they need or want for their classrooms and students.  Everything is free to the teachers, but they do have to show credentials to shop there.
I have already given all of my Spanish sets to a parochial school that has several Hispanic families/students.  I do have a rummage sale periodically for my customers/class participants.  The money we raise goes to our local cancer walk.  (We have a great team and have had other fund-raisers during the year.  In the last 16 years we have raised $102,000 plus change.)

Since one of our newer stampers is having a granddaughter from out of state for the next few weeks, I'm sorting stamps to donate to them to help pass the time.  
I use my extra supplies and retired products to create cards for Seniors. I volunteer to make and write cards for a non-profit organization called Bring Smiles to Seniors. You can find them on Facebook. They accept blank cards and donations of supplies to make cards, donations of $ for postage. There are multiple ways to volunteer. They are a wonderful organization - now more than ever they are getting request from Nursing homes and assisted living facilities for cards for their residents. Wonderful way to use cards…
I have donated to a local teacher.  She greatly appreciated the items.
I give supplies to a local special Ed. Teacher. She uses them with her students to make cards, etc. that the students sell to fund various activities in their building.
What I don’t sell at a yard sale has been given to any art teacher who wants them.
I have been donating bits and pieces of left overs to kids at Church most of whom have been in the free classes and I  have offered to them.  It’s amazing how creative they are!
Card stock is donated to schools in the area who are always glad to get!
I have a friend who has a pre school.  They will take paper.  The mental health ward of the hospital has taken stamp pads with refills, makers, paper and stamp sets. I have donated a lot there.  Some nursing homes will take them and I will sometimes give to stampers for their kids to use the retired paper.
I donate to a friend who leads a Girl Scout Brownie troop.
Charlotte Lindmeier
Question of the Week