Suggestions for selling retired stuff

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suggestions for selling retired stuff

jennturoff

I have a lot of stuff - I mean a LOT - that I need to sell. Stamps, DSP, accessories, etc. What has been most successful for you to sell your retired items? Ebay, Craig's List, etsy, SUDSOL, other stamping sites, Facebook, an in-person sale? Other options?  I need to SELL not donate at this time.

For those who sell online, will a listing suffice or are pictures necessary (probably depends on the site)?
How do you handle shipping?

Any advice is appreciated!

Looking to downsize,
Jenn

Jennifer Turoff
near Poughkeepsie NY
jennturoff@
(845) 797-8791

Jennifer Turoff
jennturoff@me.com
(845) 797-8791

Stamping in Lagrangeville, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Suggestions for selling retired stuff

Jeanne Moss
I would also be interested in this information.  It breaks my heart to part with anything, but I am out of room for my new things!

Jeanne Moss
526 Langley Trace
Elizabethtown, KY  42701
jeanne.moss@live.com
http://jeannemoss.stampinup.net

Sent from my iPad
Reply | Threaded
|

Tanya Stottlemire
In reply to this post by jennturoff
I think pictures are definitely necessary and not really that much more time to add. I have had the best luck on facebook groups. I usually list on local groups first so I don't have to mess with mailing and if they don't sell in a week then I post to other groups.  Ebay has been nice for  some stuff but I find it takes longer to wait for the auction to end and I really don't end up making any more money

Reply | Threaded
|

Wilkinsonb
If you have any retired punches I may be interested in them.
Brenda

Brenda Wilkinson
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: SU!: Suggestions for selling retired stuff

nshopis
eBay. Include many photos and full description and if possible item number. I never have a problem selling on EbY. Good luck.

Nicki Shopis Independent
Stampin' Up Demonstrator
http://www.inkpaperstamp.com 
http://www.inkpaperstamp.stampinup.net 

Reply | Threaded
|

Marti Crapo
When selling, I try to include the shipping in the price - it seems simpler
that way. I use USPS flat rate shipping. Create an account at the USPS site
and order some boxes (they are delivered free to your door) so you will
know what fits each box and then you can add your shipping to the cost. Be
sure to state "free shipping" or "shipping included in the cost".

Also, be sure to limit sales to the US.

Pictures are always good. Top and Bottom for Wood stamps is best. For
photopolymer, the picture of the stamp is good but also include a copy of
the box so people can easily see what stamps are included.  If you have
altered the stamp in any way be sure to tell that so you don't have
disgruntled customers.

I look on ebay to see what prices a particular stamp has sold for in the
past to help me price it regardless of whether I am selling on e-bay or
through another type of sale (craigs list, in home sale, facebook sale
groups etc)

You will find it goes pretty easy.
Marti Crapo
Reply | Threaded
|

Antinonem
In reply to this post by Tanya Stottlemire
I have the best luck with a home sale.I post time and date on Craigs list send info to all my customers and post in the local news paper. hat I don't sell I use as prizes( with acard,tag or box) at my classes or workshops.
Micki

Reply | Threaded
|

jennturoff
Thank you for your suggestions!  A few asked for the replies so here's the compiled list of answers I received.

I think pictures are definitely necessary and not really that much more time to add. I have had the best luck on facebook groups. I usually list on local groups first so I don't have to mess with mailing and if they don't sell in a week then I post to other groups.  Ebay has been nice for some stuff but I find it takes longer to wait for the auction to end and I really don't end up making any more money

-----------------

eBay. Include many photos and full description and if possible item number. I never have a problem selling on Ebay.

-----------------

When selling, I try to include the shipping in the price - it seems simpler that way. I use USPS flat rate shipping. Create an account at the USPS site and order some boxes (they are delivered free to your door) so you will know what fits each box and then you can add your shipping to the cost. Be sure to state "free shipping" or "shipping included in the cost".

Also, be sure to limit sales to the US.

Pictures are always good. Top and Bottom for Wood stamps is best. For photopolymer, the picture of the stamp is good but also include a copy of the box so people can easily see what stamps are included. If you have altered the stamp in any way be sure to tell that so you don't have disgruntled customers.

I look on ebay to see what prices a particular stamp has sold for in the past to help me price it regardless of whether I am selling on e-bay or through another type of sale (craigs list, in home sale, facebook sale groups etc)

You will find it goes pretty easy.

-----------------

I have the best luck with a home sale. I post time and date on Craigs list send info to all my customers and post in the local news paper. What I don't sell I use as prizes (with a card, tag or box) at my classes or workshops.

-----------------

Hi Jenn,  I held a sale at a local Holiday Inn Express.  It cost me $75 to rent the conference room and I had them set the room up with some tables along the walls and then others formed an open square and I stood in the inside of the square.  I had 2 helpers, one helped bag items and the other helped me add up the sales and take money.

I advertised in the newspaper, Craigs list and Facebook and also sent notice to all of my customers and downline.  I sold almost all of my stuff.  I priced to sell because I did not want to take anything home with me.  I packaged DSP together mixing packages that I only had a few sheets left and charged something like $1 package.  I sold stamp sets for $4, $6, $8 and $10 depending on how many stamps were in each set and no sets were over $10.   I sold buttons, markers, stamp pads w/reinkers, everything I had, including totes, organizers, etc.

Whatever didn't sell I donated after the sale.  

I made about $500 and made room for a ton of new stuff, LOL

-----------------

First know that some stamps are really sought after so you want top dollar.  The others, you’ll loose your shirt on.  I’m on FB with a group called Stampin Addicts.

-----------------

Last summer I had a stamping rummage for all of my customers.  Then before Thanksgiving I had a big sale on ebay when it was free listings.  I hope you can get rid of your stuff.

-----------------

The least amount of work is a list on Craig ' s list or even the Buy /Sell on this board. Normally, you can only sell on these for a lesser amount of money.

Ebay...if you know how to list and sell is a place where you can command more money. BUT...it requires more work and takes more time. I have used the amounts of things sold on Ebay to price stuff I have sold on Splitcoast....with some success.

And I have listed things on this board with some success. If I am willing to sell cheaper, I do a garage sale type of thing on a day when my town has a full day of garage sales. That is where I have sold the most. I do my own advertising (email and our county shopper 
Advertising newspaper) and do not rely on the town 's advertising.

-----------------

Jennifer Turoff
jennturoff@me.com
(845) 797-8791
Jennifer Turoff
jennturoff@me.com
(845) 797-8791

Stamping in Lagrangeville, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

Jeanne Moss
Thanks for combining your responses and sharing them!

Jeanne Moss
526 Langley Trace
Elizabethtown, KY  42701
jeanne.moss@live.com
http://jeannemoss.stampinup.net