Stamping on Candles - Best way to attaching gems? (reposting to correct forum)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stamping on Candles - Best way to attaching gems? (reposting to correct forum)

Phyllis Strickland
I posted this in the wrong forum, I think it belongs in Q&A:
I  stamped candles in a class a few weeks ago and the SU self-adhesive gems are not staying "stuck."  I have candles left so making them for gifts, but need to find a better way for the gems.  I am using snowflakes from Flurry of Wishes so they can be used during Winter as well, and want to add them to the centers.

Any recommendations that have been successful?   I don't really have time to experiment to find out what works, so hope someone has a tried and true method.

Internet search came up with modge podge, but it seems like that would be visible and would reduce the sparkle.  Another site says put dots of tacky glue on the candle and then add the rhinestones using a tweezers but seems like I would need to remove the adhesive dot for that to work.  

Thanks so much for your help.

Phyllis Strickland
Goodville  PA
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Stamping on Candles - Best way to attaching gems? (reposting to correct forum)

davism

Did you try our Crystal Effects. I fixed a pair of glasses with it years ago. Mary 

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 12:08 PM SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Product Q&As <ml%2Bs1100894n39321h31@n7.nabble.com> wrote:
pstrickland@me.com?subject=Stamping+on+Candles+-+Best+way+to+attaching+gems?+(reposting+to+correct+forum)
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: pstrickland@me.com

I  stamped candles in a class a few weeks ago and the SU self-adhesive gems are not staying "stuck."  I have candles left so making them for gifts, but need to find a better way for the gems.  I am using snowflakes from Flurry of Wishes so they can be used during Winter as well, and want to add them to the centers.

Any recommendations that have been successful?   I don't really have time to experiment to find out what works, so hope someone has a tried and true method.

Internet search came up with modge podge, but it seems like that would be visible and would reduce the sparkle.  Another site says put dots of tacky glue on the candle and then add the rhinestones using a tweezers but seems like I would need to remove the adhesive dot for that to work.  

Phyllis Strickland
Goodville  PA

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Phyllis Strickland, please change the email address to: pstrickland@me.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Stamping-on-Candles-Best-way-to-attaching-gems-reposting-to-correct-forum-tp39321.html
To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml%2Bs1100894n1954h54@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Product Q&As, click here.
Mary Davis, senior supervisor
Stampin' in the Finger Lakes
2011 featured sewer at Convention
mdavis74@rochester.rr.com
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: SU!: Stamping on Candles - Best way to attaching gems to candle wax? (reposting to correct forum)

Phyllis Strickland

I will give that a try.  

I should have explained that I used the tissue paper method – stamp on tissue paper, lay on candle, cover with wax paper, heat with heat gun to melt the tissue paper to the surface of the candle.  This means the gem is being attached to a waxy layer.

Phyllis

From: ml+s1100894n39322h16@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n39322h16@.nabble]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:13 PM
To: SUDSOL Group
Subject: Re: SU!: Stamping on Candles - Best way to attaching gems? (reposting to correct forum)

marycovertdavis73@gmail.com?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20Stamping%20on%20Candles%20-%20Best%20way%20to%20attaching%20gems?%20(reposting%20to%20correct%20forum)

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: marycovertdavis73@gmail.com

Did you try our Crystal Effects. I fixed a pair of glasses with it years ago. Mary

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 12:08 PM SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Product Q&As <ml%2Bs1100894n39321h31@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

pstrickland@me.com?subject=Stamping+on+Candles+-+Best+way+to+attaching+gems?+(reposting+to+correct+forum)

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: pstrickland@me.com

I stamped candles in a class a few weeks ago and the SU self-adhesive gems are not staying "stuck." I have candles left so making them for gifts, but need to find a better way for the gems. I am using snowflakes from Flurry of Wishes so they can be used during Winter as well, and want to add them to the centers.

Any recommendations that have been successful? I don't really have time to experiment to find out what works, so hope someone has a tried and true method.

Internet search came up with modge podge, but it seems like that would be visible and would reduce the sparkle. Another site says put dots of tacky glue on the candle and then add the rhinestones using a tweezers but seems like I would need to remove the adhesive dot for that to work.

Phyllis Strickland
Goodville PA

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Phyllis Strickland, please change the email address to: pstrickland@me.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Stamping-on-Candles-Best-way-to-attaching-gems-reposting-to-correct-forum-tp39321.html

To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml%2Bs1100894n1954h54@n7.nabble.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to davism, please change the email address to: marycovertdavis73@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Stamping-on-Candles-Best-way-to-attaching-gems-reposting-to-correct-forum-tp39321p39322.html

To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml+s1100894n1954h8@n7.nabble.com

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: SU!: Stamping on Candles - Best way to attaching gems to candle wax? (reposting to correct forum)

Coleen Astalos
Administrator

What about inserting it into the wax while it is still warm, basically embedding it.

Coleen

Coleen Astalos
Alamosa, CO, coleen@sudsol.com

See my jewelry for sale at www.flexibleaccessories.com

From: ml+s1100894n39325h20@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n39325h20@.nabble]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: SU!: Stamping on Candles - Best way to attaching gems to candle wax? (reposting to correct forum)

pstrickland@me.com?subject=RE:%20SU!:%20Stamping%20on%20Candles%20-%20Best%20way%20to%20attaching%20gems%20to%20candle%20wax?%20(reposting%20to%20correct%20forum)

I will give that a try.  

I should have explained that I used the tissue paper method – stamp on tissue paper, lay on candle, cover with wax paper, heat with heat gun to melt the tissue paper to the surface of the candle.  This means the gem is being attached to a waxy layer.

Phyllis

From: ml+s1100894n39322h16@.nabble [ml+s1100894n39322h16@.nabble]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: SU!: Stamping on Candles - Best way to attaching gems? (reposting to correct forum)

marycovertdavis73@gmail.com?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20Stamping%20on%20Candles%20-%20Best%20way%20to%20attaching%20gems?%20(reposting%20to%20correct%20forum)

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: marycovertdavis73@gmail.com

I stamped candles in a class a few weeks ago and the SU self-adhesive gems are not staying "stuck." I have candles left so making them for gifts, but need to find a better way for the gems. I am using snowflakes from Flurry of Wishes so they can be used during Winter as well, and want to add them to the centers.

Any recommendations that have been successful? I don't really have time to experiment to find out what works, so hope someone has a tried and true method.

Internet search came up with modge podge, but it seems like that would be visible and would reduce the sparkle. Another site says put dots of tacky glue on the candle and then add the rhinestones using a tweezers but seems like I would need to remove the adhesive dot for that to work.

Phyllis Strickland
Goodville PA

If you want the reply to go ONLY to davism, please change the email address to: marycovertdavis73@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Stamping-on-Candles-Best-way-to-attaching-gems-reposting-to-correct-forum-tp39321p39322.html

To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml+s1100894n1954h8@n7.nabble.com

This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Stamping-on-Candles-Best-way-to-attaching-gems-reposting-to-correct-forum-tp39321p39325.html

To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml+s1100894n1954h19@n7.nabble.com

Coleen Astalos
SLB Member

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Stamping on Candles - Best way to attaching gems? (reposting to correct forum)

Libby Dyson
In reply to this post by davism

Have you tried the Fine Tip Glue Pen - put some on the back of the gem and some where you want it to go on the candle. Wait about 10 seconds and stick the 2 together. That way it works similar to some super fast drying glues

On 17 November 2017 at 04:12, SUDSOL [davism] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n39322h59@n7.nabble.com> wrote:
marycovertdavis73@gmail.com?subject=Re:+SU!:+Stamping+on+Candles+-+Best+way+to+attaching+gems?+(reposting+to+correct+forum)

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 12:08 PM SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Product Q&As <ml%252Bs1100894n39321h31@n7.nabble.com> wrote:
pstrickland@...?subject=Stamping+on+Candles+-+Best+way+to+attaching+gems?+(reposting+to+correct+forum)

Phyllis Strickland
Goodville PA

To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml%252Bs1100894n1954h54@n7.nabble.com

To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml%2Bs1100894n1954h51@n7.nabble.com

--