Scrapbook Samples/Scrap 101

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Scrapbook Samples/Scrap 101

NancyKeithley

The Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101 Program is a SUDSOL program which seeks to assist you at incorporating Scrapbooking into your Stampin’ Up! Business by sharing demonstratable scrapbook projects on SUDSOL, plus information, tips, and ideas about scrapbooking. If you have specific questions or articles you would like to see in this program, please let me know!

Have you missed me??? My laptop DIED… deader than dirt.

I followed all the troubleshooting prompts, stood on my head, clucked like a chicken and pretty much anything else I could think of, but the hard drive is dead. It’s not a fun thing when a laptop hard drive you’ve had less than 6 months fails. I finally managed to get one of my older laptops to cooperate, although it is a bit cranky (but I'm glad that I keep at least the most recent previous laptop "just in case"!!

The newer laptop is still in the process of us trying to get it fixed. The word "rigmarole" comes to mind! (...update! Hubby just came in from work and tells me he's taking it back to the tech that said said he couldn't fix it because our warranty people said to [nodding wisely]).  

Of course, this is the second big tech issue we’ve had since the advent of Covid-19… the first two weeks after the shutdown saw 2 of our televisions (living room and one of the bedrooms) dying within a few days of one another. Crazy!

Thankfully, I have an external drive that I use to back up everything! Do you?

That external drive saved my sanity… and the files I use the most! My templates for my special education evaluation reports, the templates and ideas I use for my articles here, my family history information… it’s all there, but some of the updated things I’ve done may not have been backed up recently enough...

SO… in the spirit of hoping you don’t get caught with your hard disc down and no backups or out of date backups, here are a few things to consider:

•Be very careful what you download and what you do and share online.While this didn't impact my issue this time, long, long ago, when I was very naive, I did manage to get a virus. If you've never had one, DON'T, lol! No fun at all!

•Invest in an external drive – I use an SSD on the recommendation of my techy son-in-laws (one is a tech guy at a data company, the other works for Wayfair – so one has great computer savvy and the other one gets me discounts at WF!

I’d love them both regardless, though… they are good guys!) I know, I know… I digress.

• Back up anything you consider important – if you use floppy discs (do they even make those any more?), just know that they can and do go bad eventually. In fact, I have my stuff backed up in at least 3 places: on this older laptop, and on the one even older than this one, plus an external drive.I also have an online backup service that I pay for. It's pricey, but nice to have.

• Invest in a good antivirus and USE IT REGULARLY.

• Invest in a good computer clean up program. I use Avast clean up and Antivirus, but there are others out there that are, I’m sure, equally good.

• Change your password occasionally and keep it secure! Do not use your birthday, address, or any other common things as your PW!

• And, yes, I know, I know… this isn’t a scrapbook layout or sketch… but if you scrapbook digitally, save photos or your layouts… you may be glad one day you read this article ;).
What other tips do YOU have for keeping your data safe? Please feel free to share!

And... since this IS about scrapbooking... here's a layout for you from my most recent stampin' class (check the comments...)

Do you have another idea for a Scrap 101 article? Something you want me to research a bit and write up? I'd love to - please send me your ideas for articles to nancykayk@aol.com!
Also, if you upload scrapbook layouts to the gallery, please drop me an email so I can feature some of your pages in a future Scrapbook Samples article!

Thanks for reading this edition of Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101. Would you like to be featured in one of my SS posts? Upload those layouts, ladies and gents! Yours may be the next one to catch my eye!!! As always, if you have any requests for a specific topic to be covered in a Scrap 101 (or Scrapbook Samples) post, additional suggestions, advice or thoughts, please let me know - the suggestion box is always open for those requests!

*Ü* Nanc ><>
Scrapbook Samples /Scrap 101 Coordinator

Nancy Keithley
Waller, Texas
Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101 Coordinator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scrapbook Samples/Scrap 101

NancyKeithley
<quote author="NancyKeithley">

The Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101 Program is a SUDSOL program which seeks to assist you at incorporating Scrapbooking into your Stampin’ Up! Business by sharing demonstratable scrapbook projects on SUDSOL, plus information, tips, and ideas about scrapbooking. If you have specific questions or articles you would like to see in this program, please let me know!

I followed all the troubleshooting prompts, stood on my head, clucked like a chicken and pretty much anything else I could think of, but the hard drive is dead. It’s not a fun thing when a laptop hard drive you’ve had less than 6 months fails. I finally managed to get one of my older laptops to cooperate, although it is a bit cranky (but I'm glad that I keep at least the most recent previous laptop "just in case"!!

The newer laptop is still in the process of us trying to get it fixed. The word "rigmarole" comes to mind! (...update! Hubby just came in from work and tells me he's taking it back to the tech that said said he couldn't fix it because our warranty people said to [nodding wisely]).  

Of course, this is the second big tech issue we’ve had since the advent of Covid-19… the first two weeks after the shutdown saw 2 of our televisions (living room and one of the bedrooms) dying within a few days of one another. Crazy!

That external drive saved my sanity… and the files I use the most! My templates for my special education evaluation reports, the templates and ideas I use for my articles here, my family history information… it’s all there, but some of the updated things I’ve done may not have been backed up recently enough...

SO… in the spirit of hoping you don’t get caught with your hard disc down and no backups or out of date backups, here are a few things to consider:

•Be very careful what you download and what you do and share online.While this didn't impact my issue this time, long, long ago, when I was very naive, I did manage to get a virus. If you've never had one, DON'T, lol! No fun at all!

•Invest in an external drive – I use an SSD on the recommendation of my techy son-in-laws (one is a tech guy at a data company, the other works for Wayfair – so one has great computer savvy and the other one gets me discounts at WF!

I’d love them both regardless, though… they are good guys!) I know, I know… I digress.

• Back up anything you consider important – if you use floppy discs (do they even make those any more?), just know that they can and do go bad eventually. In fact, I have my stuff backed up in at least 3 places: on this older laptop, and on the one even older than this one, plus an external drive.I also have an online backup service that I pay for. It's pricey, but nice to have.

• Invest in a good computer clean up program. I use Avast clean up and Antivirus, but there are others out there that are, I’m sure, equally good.

• Change your password occasionally and keep it secure! Do not use your birthday, address, or any other common things as your PW!

• And, yes, I know, I know… this isn’t a scrapbook layout or sketch… but if you scrapbook digitally, save photos or your layouts… you may be glad one day you read this article ;).
What other tips do YOU have for keeping your data safe? Please feel free to share!

And... since this IS about scrapbooking... here's a layout for you from my most recent stampin' class (check the comments...)

Do you have another idea for a Scrap 101 article? Something you want me to research a bit and write up? I'd love to - please send me your ideas for articles to nancykayk@aol.com!
Also, if you upload scrapbook layouts to the gallery, please drop me an email so I can feature some of your pages in a future Scrapbook Samples article!

Thanks for reading this edition of Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101. Would you like to be featured in one of my SS posts? Upload those layouts, ladies and gents! Yours may be the next one to catch my eye!!! As always, if you have any requests for a specific topic to be covered in a Scrap 101 (or Scrapbook Samples) post, additional suggestions, advice or thoughts, please let me know - the suggestion box is always open for those requests!

*Ü* Nanc ><>

NancyKeithley wrote

*Ü* Nanc ><>
Nancy Keithley
Waller, Texas
Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101 Coordinator