Scrapbook Samples ~ Scrap 101: What's your scrapping style?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Scrapbook Samples ~ Scrap 101: What's your scrapping style?

NancyKeithley

The Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101 Program is a SUDSOL program which seeks to assist you at incorporating Scrapbooking into your Stampin’ Up! Business by sharing demonstratable scrapbook projects on SUDSOL, plus information, tips, and ideas about scrapbooking. If you have specific questions or articles you would like to see in this program, please let me know!

You probably have figured out that I love searching out the answers to questions about scrapbooking (and really, anything else!) online. That’s also where I get a lot of ideas for my scrapping as well.

Today, though, I’d like to help you answer the very important question:

HOW CAN I FIGURE OUT WHAT MY SCRAPBOOKING STYLE IS?

(Or, to put it in terms of someone who teachers others to stamp and scrap….. How can I help my clients figure out THEIR style???)

So, I read through a variety of sources, and culled out some thoughts for you (and me!):

First, let’s think about what scrapbooking IS:

Scrapbooking is preserving memories by gathering photos, journaling about it, and organizing it all in some way, whether through digital, paper or hybrid means.

I’d like to propose that scrapbooking is way more than that – more than just a collection of pictures and words, it is an art form that should reflect your own very personal style…. AT THAT MOMENT. If you look at my scrapbooks, you’ll see how my style has morphed over the years. That is because Art does that. I’ve been painting since I was about 8 or 9. My painting has grown, my style has changed, my favorite media has changed from oil to acrylics, from canvas to wood… I also love me some fun lettering, folk art style, and collages – whether stamping is involved or not.

Why am I going through all this, you may ask?

Just like we each have our favorite stamping style, when scrapbooking, we also develop our favorite scrapbooking styles…

I like layouts with lots of ephemera, I like layouts based on sketches I find or design myself, I like layouts inspired by cards or other folks’ scrapbook layouts. I can take a digital design, such as from an ad and convert that into a scrapbook layout.
What do YOU like, though? Here is a simple way to help you figure that out!

First – look at different scrapbooking styles to see what speaks to you. Here are some popular styles that come to my mind:

MINIMALIST: In general, minimalism is a huge trend for the 20-30 somethings in my life. Where I am looking for a place to put my dad’s old recliner, my daughters and nieces (as much as they love their memories of Boppy – their name for my daddy) would be finding a place to donate it or a way to recycle it. In scrapbooking terms, minimalism would be a very clean layout, with few if any embellishments, typically a large photo and maybe 1-2 smaller ones. If any DSP is used, it probably would be a simple design and only one print would be used on a layout. Some folks refer to this type layout as “classic” or “clean and simple”. You’d think they would be the fastest to do, but somehow, these can take me even longer as I have to edit myself a lot to create these!

An example of my most favorite minimalist layout I’ve ever done is this one:

I took this photo on a real camera (not my iPhone as we didn’t have them yet in 2000) at my eldest niece’s wedding in Austin TX on Lake Travis. This is probably one of the best, if not THE best photo I’ve ever taken (and I’ve taken tens of thousands of them, based on what’s in my current hard drive). The brads, oval frame and flowery ribbon *nearly* take it out of the minimalist sphere, but for me this is about as minimal as it gets. A minimalist layout (in my opinion) requires two things: a) it really needs a STRONG photo to make it great, and b) it is TOTALLY about the photo.

One more of my favorite layouts that I think fits the minimal idea is this one of my middle granddaughter, Emma (the cream in the middle of the oreo!).

This is simply a cropped 8x10 photo, matted with a thin blue offset frame and simply the name and date of the photo, with the one inch punched squares of shades of blue to play off her amazing blue eyes.

A second style is often referred to as Ephemera because it frequently involves those bits of movie tickets, wedding licenses, brochures, church bulletins, play bills and other bits and pieces of memories from our pockets and purses…). I have some difficulty using ephemera (just being honest) as too often it is not on acid-free, photo safe papers. I do, however, make photocopies of ephemera using SU! cardstock as we know it’s safe. By the way ephemera is pronounced   /eh FEM eh ra/. Some people refer to this style as Vintage, but look further for what I consider that to be.

Here is another layout that is special to me. It is, again, about Katie, my youngest child. In this one I used a photo of the ultrasound confirming that she was doing well (I’ve miscarried twice, and Katie was a surprise!). While I wouldn’t consider 1987 “vintage”, this layout does have ephemera on it as this is the original photo of her first ultrasound.  She is now 30 and she and her hubby have a two-year-old son (but I’m not allowed to share his photo in public – his mommy and daddy don’t want to paste his picture out on the ‘net, and I respect that!).

Another one that is in a style reminiscent of Ephemera would be this totally SU! layout from a few Halloweens ago:

Ephemera is pretty much the opposite of a Minimalist look. There are usually a number of eclectic elements that may or may not traditionally be used together. While not a messy style, it can be more random looking, and interesting visually with elements placed at an angle, often including brads, clips and more. Fonts are frequently mixed as in the sample above, as are patterns of DSP. It is often used for Vintage and other layouts – heritage, travel, masculine, for example.

One of my personal favorite styles is Vintage/Shabby Chic. It can be similar in some ways to the Ephemera style. Often it uses various pattern papers, lots of embellishments such as lace, ribbon, buttons, thread, metal accents, torn paper, inked or chalked edges, for example. Before I became a demonstrator, I made and sold a lot of this style layouts on eBay.

Subject matter on this one is from 1976 (telling my age as that’s me and my hubby – we were high school sweethearts). The subject matter may not truly be vintage, but my dress was vintage style, as is the paper I used.

This layout was done in 2008, and while that also isn’t vintage, the style, again, is. The pinks and beiges, the font I used, the soft flowers with button/brad centers – it says VINTAGE.

But this layout? This is the most vintage style of these three. The faded DSP, the font, the photos – all are pictures of my family – only two of the persons depicted in these photos remain alive, the brads, flowers, sewing, shading and all – screams Vintage to me.

Another style oft mentioned in my research is RETRO. Retro is still hot! Think poodle skirts, lots of pink and black, hot colors from the 70s orange, lime green and hot pink together ( wish I have a photo of my bedroom curtain from high school!!!!), and blue/brown combos with sparkle shapes, retro Vegas signs (remind you of a stamp set?) and such…

I know, I know – to some of you, the 80s are really retro, but I imagine that to most of us here, we think of the 40s – 60s when we think of Retro style.

Here are some of my layouts with retro influences:

Kari’s 21st birthday (my oldest daughter, mommy to my three granddaughters). Those flowers with the chopped off petals? That says “RETRO” to me…

So does this!

The colors of the flowers remind me of my bedroom curtain I mentioned above.

And the bright blue and orange (my friends literally fought over this DSP when I made the mistake of saying I had ONE more package of it – they started a bidding war over it! I took the high road and showed them how they could order it instead of fighting over mine!) – this also reminds me of high school!

Ephemera, Vintage, Retro, Minimalist…. Do any of these ring a bell with your scrapbooking heart? Have you found your style? If so – please share what your style(s) is/are!!!!

Watch for more about scrapbooking style in a future Scrap 101. In the meantime, please be sure you share YOUR layouts on SUDSOL’s pin board!

Do you have another idea for a Scrap 101 article? Something you want me to research a bit and write up? I'd love to - please send me your ideas for articles to nancykayk@aol.com! Also, if you upload scrapbook layouts to the gallery, please drop me an email so I can feature some of your pages in a future Scrapbook Samples article!

Thanks for reading this edition of Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101. Would you like to be featured in one of my SS posts? Upload those layouts, ladies and gents! Yours may be the next one to catch my eye!!! As always, if you have any requests for a specific topic to be covered in a Scrap 101 (or Scrapbook Samples) post, additional suggestions, advice or thoughts, please let me know - the suggestion box is always open for those requests!

*Ü* Nanc ><>
Scrapbook Samples /Scrap 101 Coordinator

Nancy Keithley
Waller, Texas
Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101 Coordinator
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Scrapbook Samples ~ Scrap 101: What's your scrapping style?

Sue Erickson

And the same styles can be applied somewhat to scrapbooking with Memories and more. While I love embellishments, my style seems to be “just get it done”! LOL I love to look at pages with just one photo and lots of decorative detail but can’t bring myself to ‘waste’ all that real estate with just one picture. Do you do any Memories and More type scrapbooking, Nancy?

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 21, 2018, at 9:43 PM, SUDSOL [NancyKeithley] via Creative Idea Shares <ml+s1100894n40911h19@.nabble> wrote:
>
> school!
>

Reply | Threaded
|

NancyKeithley
Hi, Sue!

I do some Memories & More, but not as often as I do traditional and digital scrapping. I did purchase a Memories & More set recently, so I'll see what I can do about getting some layouts done to share using it. (And maybe for showing some sketches that lend themselves to the Memories & More style!).

Part of my problem as a demonstrator is that I would have to purchase multiple packages of the M&M sets because I do THO (Totally Hands On) classes where everyone makes their version of the same card(s)/layout(s), and, of course, I can't print them for my customers' use. I think I am going to go to the Sandbox and recommend that they create "demonstrator packs" for these, selecting maybe 6 of the cards and having multiples - more than the 2 that are in the sets now - in a set just for demos.

Regarding "wasting" the real estate... I totally get what you are saying, but some of my most loved layouts (by the subjects of them, by me, and by other scrapbooking friends who have seen them) are those with that one big spotlight photo. When I do that, it is because that moment was so important to me (like the one of my Katie sitting against the gazebo on Lake Travis at my niece's wedding rehearsal), or the one of my granddaughter... sometimes I balance that with a facing page with more photos (because like you - I loathe waste), but not always, because for me, I want my layouts to be about the photo.... even if it is just ONE photo.

Thanks for your reply and for reading my article! My country internet is driving me nuts this week - more off than on... but I still say living out in the country is worth it, lol!!!!

Have a great week!

Nancy

Sue Erickson wrote
And the same styles can be applied somewhat to scrapbooking with Memories and more. While I love embellishments, my style seems to be “just get it done”! LOL I love to look at pages with just one photo and lots of decorative detail but can’t bring myself to ‘waste’ all that real estate with just one picture. Do you do any Memories and More type scrapbooking, Nancy?

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 21, 2018, at 9:43 PM, SUDSOL [NancyKeithley] via Creative Idea Shares <ml+s1100894n40911h19@.nabble> wrote:
>
> school!
>
Nancy Keithley
Waller, Texas
Reply | Threaded
|

Jeanne Moss

That is a great idea, Nancy!  I will suggest that in the Sandbox also.  I would love to do a class with M&M, but I also would like to be able to create one layout for everyone.  My customers always want their projects to look EXACTLY like my sample.  When I have different DSPs or embellishments, some of them fuss if they get something different from my sample.  So, I’ve been hesitant to do a class with M&M.

Jeanne Moss
jeanne.moss@live.com

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 6, 2018, at 1:55 PM, SUDSOL [NancyKeithley] via Creative Idea Shares <ml+s1100894n41120h61@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

fancynancykay@gmail.com?subject=Re: SU!: Scrapbook Samples ~ Scrap 101: What's your scrapping style?
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: fancynancykay@gmail.com

Hi, Sue!

I do some Memories & More, but not as often as I do traditional and digital scrapping. I did purchase a Memories & More set recently, so I'll see what I can do about getting some layouts done to share using it. (And maybe for showing some sketches that lend themselves to the Memories & More style!).

Part of my problem as a demonstrator is that I would have to purchase multiple packages of the M&M sets because I do THO (Totally Hands On) classes where everyone makes their version of the same card(s)/layout(s), and, of course, I can't print them for my customers' use. I think I am going to go to the Sandbox and recommend that they create "demonstrator packs" for these, selecting maybe 6 of the cards and having multiples - more than the 2 that are in the sets now - in a set just for demos.

Regarding "wasting" the real estate... I totally get what you are saying, but some of my most loved layouts (by the subjects of them, by me, and by other scrapbooking friends who have seen them) are those with that one big spotlight photo. When I do that, it is because that moment was so important to me (like the one of my Katie sitting against the gazebo on Lake Travis at my niece's wedding rehearsal), or the one of my granddaughter... sometimes I balance that with a facing page with more photos (because like you - I loathe waste), but not always, because for me, I want my layouts to be about the photo.... even if it is just ONE photo.

Thanks for your reply and for reading my article! My country internet is driving me nuts this week - more off than on... but I still say living out in the country is worth it, lol!!!!

Have a great week!

Nancy

Sue Erickson wrote

Sent from my iPad

>
> school!
>
Nancy Keithley
Waller, Texas

If you want the reply to go ONLY to NancyKeithley, please change the email address to: fancynancykay@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Scrapbook-Samples-Scrap-101-What-s-your-scrapping-style-tp40911p41120.html
To start a new topic under Creative Idea Shares, email ml+s1100894n2h3@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Creative Idea Shares, click here.