Scrapbook Samples/Scrap 101: Thowback Thursday...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Scrapbook Samples/Scrap 101: Thowback Thursday...

NancyKeithley

The Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101 Program is a SUDSOL program which seeks to assist you at incorporating Scrapbooking into your Stampin’ Up! Business by sharing demonstratable scrapbook projects on SUDSOL, plus information, tips, and ideas about scrapbooking. If you have specific questions or articles you would like to see in this program, please let me know!

Hey, ladies – I’ve been AWOL for a bit – I’ve been sick now twice since the middle of January. Because I have no stamina and I’m as dizzy as a whirling dervish, I’m choosing to recycle an older post (because I am laying down typing because of the vertigo…. So, here it is, with a couple of side notes to bring it up to date…

Running a small business such as being an Independent Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator makes me solely responsible for the bottom line. That’s a really big deal, don’t you think? Especially as we begin a new catalog year, one Scrap 101 task that we each need to tend to is taking inventory of what we have, what we used, what we didn’t use, and what we really may *need* from the new catalog. This, my friends, is Stash Awareness!

As part of the changeover, I take the time (especially since it coincides with SUMMER and I have more back-up with my mother) to take stock of what I have. I actually keep my Stampin’ Up! supplies fairly well organized in general (it’s all those unpacked boxes of craft stash in the barn from moving out here five years ago that I have no idea what is!). But before prices go up with the new catalog (which is the case this year, 2015), I want to check and see what cardstock is low, fine or overstocked. The overstocked is placed on a list to use to plan upcoming classes to take advantage of that. The low stock is analyzed – *do I really need more of this now* is what I ask myself. If it is colors that I really will not use in the current season, I just put it on a sticky note in my catalog for future reference. {Man, I <3 sticky notes!!!}.

(REMEMBER – THIS IS A THROWBACK POST – but as it is January, we had a color revamp this calendar year…. There is not a BETTER TIME to engage in Stash Awareness, now, is there??? Also – the new Annual Catalog is not THAT far away [SQUEEEEE!!!!])

Once my cardstock is organized and I know what I need to order, and what needs to be rotated into a class, I move on to my stamps. I pull out the retired stamp sets, determine if I need to keep it and will really use it (!), or if I can put it in the DONATE or SELL bins. After cardstock and stamps, I take stock of embellishments: ribbon, buttons, brads, rhinestones, pearls, etc. The same process follows – if it is not in the new catalog – it goes in DONATE, SELL or if I will use it in my craft business or personal scrapbooking, I put it away in the appropriate spot for that.

Let’s be real here… many of us really have just too much stuff! Having too much of a good thing is not necessarily a GOOD thing! If, like me, you tend to have too much, you most likely are wasting money. Strong words, I know! In order to not waste money – you need to consider some of the following ideas:

- Make an inventory of your stash – there are apps out there to help with that – and if you know of a good app to help keep track of your stash, PLEASE SHARE! However you do it, though, the important thing is to keep a good handle on what you already have!

- When you buy something for a specific project, keep track of it! I usually email a picture of the project to myself so I have a hope of remembering what it was for when it arrives

- Resist impulse buying – particularly of things that are NOT Stampin’ Up! products! If you are in this business to make money (and I am – also to enjoy my craft, but let’s face it, I want my craft sales to pay for my craft fun!), you need to have a method for determining if it is worth it or not. I have a rule I refer to as 1/$1. What that means to me is that for every buck I spend on it, I have to get at least one use or make a dollar off of the end product. Easier said than done, but putting the thought into your business can help keep you in business!

ADDED – on another list I’m on, there was recently a discussion about organizing and **inventorying*** DSP, and marking the colors in all the sets, because I think a lot of us hang on to retired DSP to use for other purposes. Knowing what colors they have in them is HUGE. We have some lists on SUDSOL that give the colors in the DSP. I have consolidated some of those into a spreadsheet that I will share with y’all. (This file is NOT a finished product, but it has some DSP listed in it, and the colors in each of those...)

These are just some thoughts that can help you keep a grip on your stash and your budget as we go into a new year. If you have other ideas along this line, please do share!

Do you have another idea for a Scrap 101 article? Something you want me to research a bit and write up? I'd love to - please send me your ideas for articles to nancykayk@aol.com! Also, if you upload scrapbook layouts to the gallery, please drop me an email so I can feature some of your pages in a future Scrapbook Samples article!

Thanks for reading this edition of Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101. Would you like to be featured in one of my SS posts? Upload those layouts, ladies and gents! Yours may be the next one to catch my eye!!! As always, if you have any requests for a specific topic to be covered in a Scrap 101 (or Scrapbook Samples) post, additional suggestions, advice or thoughts, please let me know - the suggestion box is always open for those requests!

*Ü* Nanc ><>
Scrapbook Samples /Scrap 101 Coordinator

DSP_coordinating_colors_UPDATED_2_2_19_nkk.xlsx
Nancy Keithley
Waller, Texas
Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101 Coordinator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SU!: Scrapbook Samples/Scrap 101: Thowback Thursday...

Linda Pastva-Callahan

I love this throwback article. How true everything is, even in today's crafting scene. Keep them coming!

On February 7, 2019 at 10:36 PM "SUDSOL [NancyKeithley] via Creative Idea Shares" <ml+s1100894n46484h40@.nabble> wrote:

fancynancykay@gmail.com?subject=Scrapbook Samples/Scrap 101: Thowback Thursday...
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: fancynancykay@

The Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101 Program is a SUDSOL program which seeks to assist you at incorporating Scrapbooking into your Stampin’ Up! Business by sharing demonstratable scrapbook projects on SUDSOL, plus information, tips, and ideas about scrapbooking. If you have specific questions or articles you would like to see in this program, please let me know!

Hey, ladies – I’ve been AWOL for a bit – I’ve been sick now twice since the middle of January. Because I have no stamina and I’m as dizzy as a whirling dervish, I’m choosing to recycle an older post (because I am laying down typing because of the vertigo…. So, here it is, with a couple of side notes to bring it up to date…

Running a small business such as being an Independent Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator makes me solely responsible for the bottom line. That’s a really big deal, don’t you think? Especially as we begin a new catalog year, one Scrap 101 task that we each need to tend to is taking inventory of what we have, what we used, what we didn’t use, and what we really may *need* from the new catalog. This, my friends, is Stash Awareness!

As part of the changeover, I take the time (especially since it coincides with SUMMER and I have more back-up with my mother) to take stock of what I have. I actually keep my Stampin’ Up! supplies fairly well organized in general (it’s all those unpacked boxes of craft stash in the barn from moving out here five years ago that I have no idea what is!). But before prices go up with the new catalog (which is the case this year, 2015), I want to check and see what cardstock is low, fine or overstocked. The overstocked is placed on a list to use to plan upcoming classes to take advantage of that. The low stock is analyzed – *do I really need more of this now* is what I ask myself. If it is colors that I really will not use in the current season, I just put it on a sticky note in my catalog for future reference. {Man, I <3 sticky notes!!!}.

(REMEMBER – THIS IS A THROWBACK POST – but as it is January, we had a color revamp this calendar year…. There is not a BETTER TIME to engage in Stash Awareness, now, is there??? Also – the new Annual Catalog is not THAT far away [SQUEEEEE!!!!])

Once my cardstock is organized and I know what I need to order, and what needs to be rotated into a class, I move on to my stamps. I pull out the retired stamp sets, determine if I need to keep it and will really use it (!), or if I can put it in the DONATE or SELL bins. After cardstock and stamps, I take stock of embellishments: ribbon, buttons, brads, rhinestones, pearls, etc. The same process follows – if it is not in the new catalog – it goes in DONATE, SELL or if I will use it in my craft business or personal scrapbooking, I put it away in the appropriate spot for that.

Let’s be real here… many of us really have just too much stuff! Having too much of a good thing is not necessarily a GOOD thing! If, like me, you tend to have too much, you most likely are wasting money. Strong words, I know! In order to not waste money – you need to consider some of the following ideas:

- Make an inventory of your stash – there are apps out there to help with that – and if you know of a good app to help keep track of your stash, PLEASE SHARE! However you do it, though, the important thing is to keep a good handle on what you already have!

- When you buy something for a specific project, keep track of it! I usually email a picture of the project to myself so I have a hope of remembering what it was for when it arrives

- Resist impulse buying – particularly of things that are NOT Stampin’ Up! products! If you are in this business to make money (and I am – also to enjoy my craft, but let’s face it, I want my craft sales to pay for my craft fun!), you need to have a method for determining if it is worth it or not. I have a rule I refer to as 1/$1. What that means to me is that for every buck I spend on it, I have to get at least one use or make a dollar off of the end product. Easier said than done, but putting the thought into your business can help keep you in business!

ADDED – on another list I’m on, there was recently a discussion about organizing and **inventorying*** DSP, and marking the colors in all the sets, because I think a lot of us hang on to retired DSP to use for other purposes. Knowing what colors they have in them is HUGE. We have some lists on SUDSOL that give the colors in the DSP. I have consolidated some of those into a spreadsheet that I will share with y’all. (This file is NOT a finished product, but it has some DSP listed in it, and the colors in each of those...)

These are just some thoughts that can help you keep a grip on your stash and your budget as we go into a new year. If you have other ideas along this line, please do share!

Do you have another idea for a Scrap 101 article? Something you want me to research a bit and write up? I'd love to - please send me your ideas for articles to nancykayk@! Also, if you upload scrapbook layouts to the gallery, please drop me an email so I can feature some of your pages in a future Scrapbook Samples article!

Thanks for reading this edition of Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101. Would you like to be featured in one of my SS posts? Upload those layouts, ladies and gents! Yours may be the next one to catch my eye!!! As always, if you have any requests for a specific topic to be covered in a Scrap 101 (or Scrapbook Samples) post, additional suggestions, advice or thoughts, please let me know - the suggestion box is always open for those requests!

*Ü* Nanc ><>
Scrapbook Samples /Scrap 101 Coordinator

DSP_coordinating_colors_UPDATED_2_2_19_nkk.xlsx
Nancy Keithley
Waller, Texas
Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101 Coordinator

If you want the reply to go ONLY to NancyKeithley, please change the email address to: fancynancykay@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Scrapbook-Samples-Scrap-101-Thowback-Thursday-tp46484.html
To start a new topic under Creative Idea Shares, email ml+s1100894n2h98@.nabble
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.