Scrapbook Samples ~ Scrap 101: Punchart and Paperpiecing Embellishments for Fall Layouts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Scrapbook Samples ~ Scrap 101: Punchart and Paperpiecing Embellishments for Fall Layouts

NancyKeithley

The Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101 Program is a SUDSOL program which seeks to assist you at incorporating Scrapbooking into your Stampin’ Up! Business by sharing demonstratable scrapbook projects on SUDSOL, plus information, tips, and ideas about scrapbooking. If you have specific questions or articles you would like to see in this program, please let me know!

I was asked a couple of months ago to keep my eyes peeled for ways of using Stampin’ Up! goodies as scrapbooking embellishments. I’ve been trolling my sources for ideas, and BOY, have I come up with some goodies! DISCLAIMER: none of these were created by me, but I plan to incorporate some of them into my scrapbooking!

First – once I upload this article, these items will become part of SUDSOL and I plan to pin them on my board so I can find them again. Credit to the original creator of these items will be supplied with any that have credit provided. Some of these are from a Punchart collection that I have been collecting in a folder since I first signed up as a demo (14 years ago this month!).

So, here we go – I hope you find these as fun and creative as I do.

(KEY: AC refers to the Annual Catalog and HC to the Holiday Catalog)

I do not know Mary Anderson, but I love her work. Here she has created a sampler of fall goodies. Clockwise from top, they use: Seasonal Layers Thinlits (p. 216 AC) and Colorful Seasons stamp set (p. 147); Painted Harvest stamp set (HC p. 49) and some fussy cutting; Pick a Pumpkin bundle (HC p. 51); ROW 2: Patterned Pumpkin Thinlits (p. 51 HC) [this one also uses the retired scattered star punch – although it wouldn’t be stars you could use a patterned pumpkin from this thinlits set OR the stars from the Detailed Santa Thinlits on p. 216 AC; next, fall colored leaves from Tree Builder punch (p. 208 AC), Seasonal Layers (p. 216 AC), Painted Harvest Bundle (p. 49 HC) to name a few; and Patterned Pumpkin Thinlits again (p. 51 HC); ROW 3: Patterned Pumpkin Thinlits/bundle again; Retired Acorn Builder bunch (?not sure about this as I never got that punch – I know… ME, missing a punch!!?!?!??!) – BUT you could make a pretty cool acorn if you used the Blossom Builder and Bell punches (p. 207 AC) – I do not have the Blossom Builder (yet) so I can’t show you that one (yet)… I’m thinking the largest blossom piece with the rounded side down and the bottom of the bell, trimmed where the clanger is, and little rectangle of the dark brown for the acorn stem…; and, the last square would use the Tree Builder or Seasonal Layers’ leaves on page 208 and 216 AC.

The next sample gets kudos for brilliant use of the Swirly Scribbles Thinlits (p. 216 AC):

I LOVE how Sandy Hancock used two of the same framelit overlapping to make the pumpkin on the left. She grounded her pumpkin with Garden Green swooshie shape from the the same thinlits set, and the stem, well, that one eludes me… but the bunch of leaves on the Eclectic Layers Framelit cut be used (upside down) with a little judicial snip (p. 213 AC).

The Large Letters Framelits (p. 215 AC) were also used for the B in “BOO”. It looks like the Rose Garden Thinlits (p. 216 AC) may have been used for the little leaves on the swirlys in BOO….The original card I found was cut off on the sides, alas…

Next, we have the Christmas Quilt (p. 5 HC). Evidently, one needs quilts for fall, too (I know I do, as I sit here under a fleece blanket in early October in SE Texas!). I love the colors used for this! I think the eaves are from Merry Café (HC p 46) but there are so many options in the catalogs to choose from for leafy embellies!

My next crush involves oval pumpkins and the Woodland Embossing Folder (AC, p 211).

The pumpkins in three of these cards were created by oval and circle punching. We also have oval and circle framelits now (AC p 214). Top left – I LOVE that she embossed the Woodland EF in white! The pumpkins appear to be made of circles, with punched leaves. The next sample has the Woodland EF again, but with multicolored leaves this time. Just grab some Crumb Cake CS, leaf framelits or punches and sponge daubers with ink in browns, oranges and greens (I’m thinking Soft Suede, Early Espresso, Pumpkin Pie, Cajun Craze, Garden Green…). Bottom left, we have a punch art dog made with a 1 – 1.5 inch circle, two little leaf punches (Tree Builder or Blossom Builder AC p 207-8, depending on the size circle you use) and ovals for the pumpkin. The last one is also oval punches or framelits, and the hat from Spooky Cat (HC p 53) fussy cut would be awesome to top a pumpkin.

Speaking of SPOOKY CAT – the next sample is so easy and cute! A large circle of Very Vanilla sponged to look like a glowing moon, with the cat punch of black  (HC p 53) superimposed on it.  One could also get a spookier look by punching the cat from a window sheet or cardstock and using it as a stencil to sponge the cat into place…

Check out this beautiful arrangement of sponged daisies, and assorted leaves from the Seasonal Layers thinlits. A cluster like this would be beautiful on a scrapbook layout any time during the Fall season!

Here is another Christmassy set turned fall… grab your Christmas Pines bundle from last year (AC p 120, 216) and do them in browns. BEAUTIFUL and very fallish! The second sample uses the Everyday Jar framelits (AC p 213) as well.

Speaking of the Everyday Jar – how about this Frankenstein? It is an old piece of paper piecing I found but the Jar used above would work great for this!

In addition to the jar for the whole head, the bow tie from the Cookie Builder punch (AC p 208) cut in half would work for the pins on the side of his neck. The Ticket Tear border punch (AC p 206) would make a great hairline for Frankie. Circle punches (or framelits) for the eyes, and the Blossom Builder (yes, again) largest one upside down would be an awesome nose! Personally, I’d skip the purple pieces as I’m not sure what they represent on it.

This is another really old one – the pirate and spider (shades of Mike Wazowski, lol) would be so easy to recreate! Black punched circle, with some sponged white around it, smaller circles for the eye, and ovals punched in overlaps to create the legs, and a circle punched overlapped for the smile. The Skull & Crossbones (pirate symbol) would be an oval, small heart nose, circle eyes, oval for RIP at the top and a square at the bottom (the white oval of the skull and crossbones would hide the empty space between RIP and the bottom of the tombstone), and the bones could be done with trimmed pieces from the Tree Builder punch. The teeth are cut from a long retired punch, but the row of shingles from the Home Sweet Home thinlets (AC p 212) might work, or just a piece of white cut with the fringe scissors (I know, they’re retired, but you could use your snips to make it toothy, OR your black marker to do so). All of the white pieces in this are sponged on the edge in black and the black pieces are sponged in white – makes a cool and easy-to-do POP!

I was done with this article…. Really, I was! I was on SUDSOL Discussion Forum, prepping to upload it, and then I saw this and HAD to comment on it before I submitted this article:

Posted by Robbie Rubala, I’m just doing to leave this hear. This (minus the candy, of course) would be a fantastic journaling holder on your page. Create this just like Robbie suggested, but instead of candy, trace the outline of the pocket and cut a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock a bit smaller than the outline. Do your journaling on that piece and tuck it in the pocket. Yes, it’s that easy!
OK. NOW I’m done!

I hope you find these punch and die cut motifs inspiring for your scrapbooking (and card-making, too!). Do you have some cool Fall samples to share that would look great on a layout? PLEASE, *do* share!!!!!
Do you have another idea for a Scrap 101 article? A topic you want me to research a bit and write up? I'd love to - please send me your ideas for articles to nancykayk@aol.com! Also, if you upload scrapbook layouts to the gallery, please drop me an email so I can feature some of your pages in a future Scrapbook Samples article!

Thanks for reading this edition of Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101. Would you like to be featured in one of my SS posts? Upload those layouts, ladies and gents! Yours may be the next one to catch my eye!!! As always, if you have any requests for a specific topic to be covered in a Scrap 101 (or Scrapbook Samples) post, additional suggestions, advice or thoughts, please let me know - the suggestion box is always open for those requests!

*Ü* Nanc ><>
Scrapbook Samples /Scrap 101 Coordinator

Nancy Keithley
Waller, Texas
Scrapbook Samples/Scrap101 Coordinator