SU!: PROG: Stampin’ Discuss Summary - Stamping Topics – Cleaning Polymer Sets, Adhering Expression Thinlets, Wood Mount Background Stamp (Ex Libris)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SU!: PROG: Stampin’ Discuss Summary - Stamping Topics – Cleaning Polymer Sets, Adhering Expression Thinlets, Wood Mount Background Stamp (Ex Libris)

Kelly Skidmore

This is a regularly scheduled SUDSOL program. The purpose is to provide a summary from Stampin' Discuss for your convenience. The topics covered are Workshops: A Recipe for Success, Product and General Suggestions. I hope you will find this information helpful to you.

FEATURED THIS WEEK:
- Cleaning Polymer Sets
- Adhering Expression Thinlets
- Wood Mount Background Stamp (Ex Libris)

SUDSOL SD Stamping Topics coordinator
Kelly Skidmore
Waynesville, Ohio
sdstamp@

******** Cleaning Polymer Sets ********

- I'm having a very difficult time getting these clean.  Is this normal for polymer to stain so bad? I'm such a neat freak and hate when my stamps aren't clean.... :( bothering anyone else?  What are you using to clean?  I've used the SU cleaner and the stazon cleaner...

Replies:
- I've never had trouble with cleaning them, but I'm wondering if dish soap or baby wipes would help.

- I use Stazon first, using a scrub just for Stazon cleaner only, then use another scrub with Stampin' Mist, this scrub is to use only with Stampin' Mist.  Yes, I have two different scrubs, a cheap one from M's for the Stazon.  My polymer ones look almost new too.  I clean them right after each use too.

- I used the medium sized "Thank You" from the set "Another Thank You" to make 20 swaps. I cleaned it immediately afterwards and it would NOT come clean at all. I now have a nice Early Espresso colored stamp! lol

- I actually tried the dish soap (dawn) and I'm only having this issue with the polymer... I cleaned them immediately too - I used basic black, so I'm sure that's the issue..but one other stamp from the set with all of the arrows is stained pink. oh well... thanks you ladies!

******** Adhering Expression Thinlets ********

- How has everyone been attaching the words to their projects? It is so thin, I wondered if anyone had come up with different ways to do this. Thank you!

Replies:
- I use our Adhesive Sheets.  You place them onto your card stock or whatever type of paper you are using before you run it through your Big Shot.    This way when you are done cutting you just peel off the back layer and your Thinlit has the adhesive right on it.  I also use a sheet of Wax Paper between my Thinlit and my paper to make it easier to get off of the Framelit.

- Thanks Eileen, I appreciate it!

- A very thin line of Tombow Multi-purpose liquid glue.

- Mary, will that take time to dry?

- No, but it does give you time to move, very gently, if needed.  I would guessimate that after two or three minutes, it's dry.  I used some the other day to adhere the expression thinlit to some burlap ribbon and it is still holding tight.  I place the expression piece on a small piece of waxpaper, so I don't get glue on my work surface.  I also use a piece of waxpaper like Eileen does when cutting out the expression thinlit, just go slow and use a paper piercer tool and poke out all the little holes too.

- On the holiday catalog webinar, they suggest the 2-way glue pen.

- Yes, I use a 2-way glue pen and it works just fine.

- I use my Xyron "X" sticker maker....

- Thank you all for your input! I'm having a class and wanted to make it as easy as possible for my customers to use. Happy stamping!

******** Wood Mount Background Stamp (Ex Libris) ********

- I purchased my first wood mount background stamp and I'm sorry already.  I got ink all over the wood just trying it out but the Ex Libris stamp is absolutely gorgeous.  I'm a librarian so I am really drawn to this stamp.  For my in home class next weekend, I want to use this stamp to make an old antique-looking Christmas card with Cherry Cobbler and the Encore gold pad.  I cannot for the life of me center this stamp no matter how hard I try. It either stamps off of the page and I end up with a crooked paper border or when I stamp it on a larger size of paper and cut it down to 4 X 5 1/4 to mount on the front of a card, the edges are crooked.  Was I supposed to cut around the background stamp before I mounted it to the wood block?  It seems like maybe I should have trimmed it but I've never used a background stamp that matters where you stamp it in order for it to be centered.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks much.

Replies:
- I always trim my background stamp.  Well, I trim all of my stamps really closely.  When I stamp the image, I always lay the stamp down with the rubber facing up, ink it well and then lay my paper down on top of the rubber. Usually I just use my fingers to rub/press on the paper to make sure the image is fully transferred, but sometimes a brayer helps too.  I adore this stamp, too.  And librarians, I adore librarians...

- Thanks for your kind words and prompt response. I love being a librarian!  My husband trimmed off the rubber around the stamp and it made a huge difference. Now if I can just get everyone at my class to use their fingers without getting ink everywhere, I will be happy.

- Betsy's method works really well. If you don't want ink all over (but why not :D) you can put a larger piece of scrap over top. However I find using a brayer eliminates that difficulty.

SUDSOL SD Stamping Topics coordinator
Kelly Skidmore
Waynesville, Ohio
sdstamp@