Retired SU FABRIC

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Retired SU FABRIC

Phyllis Strickland
 Remember that fabric that retired around 2011? Yes I have a box of it that intended to use but never got around to it.   now I have a requests from family and friends to make face masks because Pennsylvania just announced that they want us to wear a face mask in most situations. I have some fabric but not enough

It does not seem like it would be colorfast or hold up well to repeated washing. all the ideas I saved for it are crafty not wearables so that also makes me think it’s a craft fabric. I hope someone remembers if they made washable items with it back then and can tell me how it held up

Otherwise I’ll just wash some of it with a load of wash and hope my wash doesn’t come out  multicolored

Thanks for any feedback.

Phyllis Strickland
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Retired SU FABRIC

Cathy Hansen

Hi, Phyllis!  The fabric SU had was a loose weave — not like the smooth quilting fabric that’s a much tighter weave.  So you would probably need a few layers for it to do any good.

Re washing ... I ALWAYS prewash my cotton fabrics before making anything with them.  Mostly because I don’t want anything to shrink after I’ve made it.  I actually never tried the SU fabric — but maybe it would shrink up a little and tighten the weave?

Just my random thoughts.

Cathy Hansen 

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2020, at 4:49 PM, SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n52439h12@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

pstrickland@me.com?subject=Retired SU FABRIC
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: pstrickland@me.com

Remember that fabric that retired around 2011? Yes I have a box of it that intended to use but never got around to it.   now I have a requests from family and friends to make face masks because Pennsylvania just announced that they want us to wear a face mask in most situations. I have some fabric but not enough

It does not seem like it would be colorfast or hold up well to repeated washing. all the ideas I saved for it are crafty not wearables so that also makes me think it’s a craft fabric. I hope someone remembers if they made washable items with it back then and can tell me how it held up

Otherwise I’ll just wash some of it with a load of wash and hope my wash doesn’t come out  multicolored

Thanks for any feedback.

Phyllis Strickland

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Phyllis Strickland, please change the email address to: pstrickland@me.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Retired-SU-FABRIC-tp52439.html
To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml+s1100894n1954h77@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Product Q&As, click here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Maria Pobre

My thoughts are the same as Cathy’s with the main one being the fabric is not a tight enough weave, even after pre-washing in hot water and drying in the dryer.

P.S. I still have some of those fabrics, too!

Happy Stampin’~

Maria Pobre
Guam, USA

On Apr 5, 2020, at 9:26 AM, SUDSOL [Cathy Hansen] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n52441h3@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

cihansen04@hotmail.com?subject=Re: SU!: Retired SU FABRIC
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: cihansen04@hotmail.com

Hi, Phyllis!  The fabric SU had was a loose weave — not like the smooth quilting fabric that’s a much tighter weave.  So you would probably need a few layers for it to do any good.

Re washing ... I ALWAYS prewash my cotton fabrics before making anything with them.  Mostly because I don’t want anything to shrink after I’ve made it.  I actually never tried the SU fabric — but maybe it would shrink up a little and tighten the weave?

Just my random thoughts.

Cathy Hansen 

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2020, at 4:49 PM, SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n52439h12@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: pstrickland@me.com

Thanks for any feedback.

Phyllis Strickland

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Phyllis Strickland, please change the email address to: pstrickland@me.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Retired-SU-FABRIC-tp52439.html
To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml+s1100894n1954h77@n7.nabble.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Cathy Hansen, please change the email address to: cihansen04@hotmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Retired-SU-FABRIC-tp52439p52441.html
To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml+s1100894n1954h6@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Catherine Harwood
In reply to this post by Phyllis Strickland

I’ve made many things from it that have held up fine. Zippered bags that get used all the time and washed. I've found it to be a high quality fabric — as tightly woven as other fabric quilt quarters that I bought elsewhere. Most masks are made in a way that they are more than one layer (at least one I got from a friend).

Hope that helps in addition to other feedback you receive.

Catherine Harwood
charwood@earthlink.net

On Apr 4, 2020, at 6:49 PM, SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n52439h10@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

pstrickland@me.com?subject=Retired%20SU%20FABRIC

Thanks for any feedback.

Phyllis Strickland

To start a new topic under Product Q&As, ml+s1100894n1954h75@n7.nabble.com

Reply | Threaded
|

Barbara Rathmell
In reply to this post by Phyllis Strickland

Phyllis,
I’m using my SU fabric to make masks as we speak.  It is fine for masks as it’s 100% cotton.  I washed it all before I started sewing and it held up fine and no fading.  I’m sure after many washings it will fade but let’s hope we don’t have to do this many more weeks.

The homemade masks don’t have to be fashionable just functional is the way I look at it.  I hope this helps.

Stay home and stay safe.

Barbara Rathmell

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2020, at 6:49 PM, SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n52439h21@.nabble> wrote:

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: pstrickland@

Thanks for any feedback.

Phyllis Strickland

To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml+s1100894n1954h86@.nabble
Reply | Threaded
|

Barbara Rathmell
In reply to this post by Catherine Harwood

Forgot to mention that I am adding a layer of non-woven interfacing in between the cotton layers, as recommended by many of the patterns I saw. 

I have one mask that was washed before sewing and washed twice since then after wearing.  It’s softer now but with the interfacing, seems just as sturdy.

Barbara Rathmell

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2020, at 7:48 PM, SUDSOL [Catherine Harwood] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n52443h45@.nabble> wrote:

charwood@earthlink.net?subject=Re: SU!: Retired SU FABRIC
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: charwood@

I’ve made many things from it that have held up fine. Zippered bags that get used all the time and washed. I've found it to be a high quality fabric — as tightly woven as other fabric quilt quarters that I bought elsewhere. Most masks are made in a way that they are more than one layer (at least one I got from a friend).

Catherine Harwood
charwood@earthlink.net

On Apr 4, 2020, at 6:49 PM, SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n52439h10@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

Thanks for any feedback.

Phyllis Strickland

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Catherine Harwood, please change the email address to: charwood@earthlink.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Retired-SU-FABRIC-tp52439p52443.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Phyllis Strickland
In reply to this post by Cathy Hansen

Thanks. This is good information.  I only ever did fashion sewing so did not know that difference in the fabric.  Very helpful information!
Phyllis

> On Apr 4, 2020, at 7:26 PM, SUDSOL [Cathy Hansen] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n52441h5@.nabble> wrote:
>

Just my random thoughts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Phyllis Strickland
In reply to this post by Maria Pobre

Ok then, that fits in with my thought that it is a crafting fabric... and not really suitable for thIs :-(. 

I do have medium weight non-fusible Pellon to use in the middle layer - do you think that would make up for the loose weave?

Phyllis Strickland

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 4, 2020, at 7:44 PM, SUDSOL [Maria Pobre] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n52442h36@.nabble> wrote:

Stampinmia@gmail.com?subject=Re: SU!: Retired SU FABRIC
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: Stampinmia@

My thoughts are the same as Cathy’s with the main one being the fabric is not a tight enough weave, even after pre-washing in hot water and drying in the dryer.

P.S. I still have some of those fabrics, too!

Happy Stampin’~

Maria Pobre
Guam, USA

On Apr 5, 2020, at 9:26 AM, SUDSOL [Cathy Hansen] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n52441h3@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

cihansen04@hotmail.com?subject=Re: SU!: Retired SU FABRIC
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: cihansen04@hotmail.com

Just my random thoughts.

Cathy Hansen 

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for any feedback.

Phyllis Strickland

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Cathy Hansen, please change the email address to: cihansen04@hotmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Retired-SU-FABRIC-tp52439p52441.html
To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml+s1100894n1954h6@n7.nabble.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Maria Pobre, please change the email address to: Stampinmia@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Retired-SU-FABRIC-tp52439p52442.html
To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml+s1100894n1954h8@.nabble
Reply | Threaded
|

Phyllis Strickland
In reply to this post by Barbara Rathmell

Thanks for this - I plan to use Pellon too.   I am so thankful I did not donate it when I was downsizing to move this past November.  I actually had it in the donate box but pulled it out after last minute.  Partly because it is several yards so I thought I’d rather find somebody who could use it   Who knew it was going to be me1

Phyllis Strickland

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 4, 2020, at 7:54 PM, SUDSOL [Barbara Rathmell] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n52446h60@.nabble> wrote:

bdrathmell@aol.com?subject=Re: SU!: Retired SU FABRIC
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: bdrathmell@

Forgot to mention that I am adding a layer of non-woven interfacing in between the cotton layers, as recommended by many of the patterns I saw. 

I have one mask that was washed before sewing and washed twice since then after wearing.  It’s softer now but with the interfacing, seems just as sturdy.

Barbara Rathmell

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2020, at 7:48 PM, SUDSOL [Catherine Harwood] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n52443h45@.nabble> wrote:

charwood@earthlink.net?subject=Re: SU!: Retired SU FABRIC
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: charwood@

Catherine Harwood
charwood@earthlink.net

Thanks for any feedback.

Phyllis Strickland

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Catherine Harwood, please change the email address to: charwood@earthlink.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Retired-SU-FABRIC-tp52439p52443.html

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Barbara Rathmell, please change the email address to: bdrathmell@aol.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Retired-SU-FABRIC-tp52439p52446.html
To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml+s1100894n1954h8@.nabble
Reply | Threaded
|

Sue Erickson
In reply to this post by Cathy Hansen

I have made some masks from this material. Prewashing it in hot water will help tighten the weave. I also have used non-woven interfacing for a layer and have a tighter cotton weave for the ining. 

Sue Erickson

On Apr 4, 2020, at 4:26 PM, SUDSOL [Cathy Hansen] via Product Q&As <ml+s1100894n52441h49@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

cihansen04@hotmail.com?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20Retired%20SU%20FABRIC
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: cihansen04@hotmail.com

Just my random thoughts.

Cathy Hansen 

Sent from my iPhone

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: pstrickland@me.com

Thanks for any feedback. 

Phyllis Strickland 

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Phyllis Strickland, please change the email address to: pstrickland@me.com 
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Retired-SU-FABRIC-tp52439.html
To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml+s1100894n1954h77@n7.nabble.com 
To unsubscribe from Product Q&As, click here.

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Cathy Hansen, please change the email address to: cihansen04@hotmail.com 
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Retired-SU-FABRIC-tp52439p52441.html
To start a new topic under Product Q&As, email ml+s1100894n1954h52@n7.nabble.com 
To unsubscribe from Product Q&As, click here.