Quicken or Quickbooks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Quicken or Quickbooks

Diane Harman

John's tips came right at the time I am trying (or thinking about trying) to set up some good bookkeeping/inventory habits.  And I was going to ask for suggestions and advice.

I have participated off and on over the years in craft shows using SU products and non SU products. I have done a horrible job of keeping track of my costs when doing these shows. Ok, really until last year, I didn't keep track at all.  Last year, I kept track, but it was with a very clunky spreadsheet and just was on the product used in my wreaths.

I am already purchasing product, and want to keep EXCELLENT track of my expenses both SU and non. I also have a square account, that I used when selling some of my wreaths if they used a cc last year. This year I will have an ipad, do I want to use that too, or would that confuse it too much.  Keeping info in too many places.

I am trying to make these shows profitable, and I have no idea if they are.
Thanks
Diane

Diane Harman
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Quicken or Quickbooks

Cara Bernhauser

I use Quick Books Pro. I purchased it in 2009, and it is still working.

I put all my products I sell in the "item" list and when I sell a repeat, the description and price are there. You can input all the items you want ahead of time, too
. then put in the sku as the "item name".

If you understand databases, you can input a spreadsheet for the item list, too.

For expenses, I do them differently than the way QB says to.

I buy everything with either PayPal or a Carry Credit Card, so I created a "PayPal credit card", a Carry Card, and a Cash card (outside the box) All expenses are input with those 3 "cards"

I simplify things like "Gasoline" all vendors are memo entries. thus when I buy gas, from whomever, the vendor is always Gasoline, the gas company is in the memo.

You can create classes, too, so I have one class that reminds me that my state has a "user" tax, and any item I don't pay tax on, gets the user class added.

I've learn to input both sales and expenses in the minimal amount of time, but when hubby asks specifics about types of products, I can pull reports and tell exactly the amount of profit versus expense for each area of our businesses.

I know each day, week, month, quarter, year what I am spending and on what. And I know my margins and profits.

I couldn't do that with quicken, but I haven't looked at quicken since upgrading to QB in 2000.

feel free to email me privately.
Cara

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Quicken or Quickbooks

Dee Derbini
In reply to this post by Diane Harman

I am definitely interested in this information too.  Last year I had a booth and am either having another booth in the fall or my own storefront since I have branched out so much with my Cameo.

Dee

From: ml-node+s1100894n11310h98@.nabble [mailto:ml-node+s1100894n11310h98@.nabble]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 5:59 PM
To: SUDSOL Group
Subject: SU!: Quicken or Quickbooks

stampindiane@twc.com?subject=Quicken%20or%20Quickbooks

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: stampindiane@twc.com

John's tips came right at the time I am trying (or thinking about trying) to set up some good bookkeeping/inventory habits.  And I was going to ask for suggestions and advice.

I have participated off and on over the years in craft shows using SU products and non SU products. I have done a horrible job of keeping track of my costs when doing these shows. Ok, really until last year, I didn't keep track at all.  Last year, I kept track, but it was with a very clunky spreadsheet and just was on the product used in my wreaths.

I am already purchasing product, and want to keep EXCELLENT track of my expenses both SU and non. I also have a square account, that I used when selling some of my wreaths if they used a cc last year. This year I will have an ipad, do I want to use that too, or would that confuse it too much.  Keeping info in too many places.

Thanks

Diane

Diane Harman

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Diane Harman, please change the email address to: stampindiane@twc.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Quicken-or-Quickbooks-tp11310.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h81@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Business Talk, click here.

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3485 / Virus Database: 3955/7773 - Release Date: 06/30/14

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Quicken or Quickbooks

Kim Venezia
In reply to this post by Diane Harman
Diane,

I've used both and would say Quick Books is a better option for a business where you want to track inventory and Quicken is better for a service business or for personal accounting.  Here are just two links for a side by side comparison of both, though there are many more available if these don't provide you all the info you need:

http://www.redlig.com/quick_compare.shtml

http://www.stephenlnelson.com/Quicken_vs_QuickBooks.htm

If memory serves me correctly, you can also download a trial version of QuickBooks so you can "try it before you buy it". Either one will take a bit of time to learn, but I think you will love it once you've got it down.

Kim Venezia

Diane Harman wrote
John's tips came right at the time I am trying (or thinking about trying) to set up some good bookkeeping/inventory habits.  And I was going to ask for suggestions and advice.

I have participated off and on over the years in craft shows using SU products and non SU products. I have done a horrible job of keeping track of my costs when doing these shows. Ok, really until last year, I didn't keep track at all.  Last year, I kept track, but it was with a very clunky spreadsheet and just was on the product used in my wreaths.

I am already purchasing product, and want to keep EXCELLENT track of my expenses both SU and non. I also have a square account, that I used when selling some of my wreaths if they used a cc last year. This year I will have an ipad, do I want to use that too, or would that confuse it too much.  Keeping info in too many places.

Thanks
Diane

Diane Harman
Diane Harman wrote
John's tips came right at the time I am trying (or thinking about trying) to set up some good bookkeeping/inventory habits.  And I was going to ask for suggestions and advice.

I have participated off and on over the years in craft shows using SU products and non SU products. I have done a horrible job of keeping track of my costs when doing these shows. Ok, really until last year, I didn't keep track at all.  Last year, I kept track, but it was with a very clunky spreadsheet and just was on the product used in my wreaths.

I am already purchasing product, and want to keep EXCELLENT track of my expenses both SU and non. I also have a square account, that I used when selling some of my wreaths if they used a cc last year. This year I will have an ipad, do I want to use that too, or would that confuse it too much.  Keeping info in too many places.

Thanks
Diane

Diane Harman