Pricing Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pricing Question

Jean Spells
I have 2 small churches that I create cards, flyers, etc. for various events.  I normally provide 2-3 samples for them to choose from.  For example, last night one of the churches called and wanted me to design postcards inviting family and friends to their Easter Service.  I spent approximately one hour on the phone with them designing the card in MDS because they wanted to place the order last night.  When they have visitors, they call and ask me to create a thank you card and this is usually done by hand.  One of the churches wants me to create a box of all occasion cards (thank you, praying for you, etc.) so they will have them on hand.  

How do you charge for these type of requests? They are small churches and I don't want to charge too much but don't want to give away my services either.  I have donated free services in the past and may continue to do so from time to time but not on a regular basis.

I would really appreciate any advice you can offer! Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Pricing Question

grantj

First of all, sometimes small churches have endowments and generous donors who allow them to stay open. It may be that they are able to afford your services. That being said, churches ARE charities, and as such MOST of them try to do the most good with the least resources. So, I would "charge" them regular prices and then give them a 10% discount.

Secondly, I would let both churches know you have "regular" business hours and that they need to contact you during those daytime hours. What would they have done last night if you had been at a workshop? Just because they are a church doesn't give them the right to take advantage.

Finally, if you are a member of one of the churches, consider doing an "in kind" donation where your services are considered part of, or all of, your tithe.

HTH.

(The Rev.) Jan Grant

From: "SUDSOL [Jean Spells] via Business Talk" <ml-node+s1100894n7410h9@.nabble>
To: "SUDSOL Group" <revjanstamps@>
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:09:18 AM
Subject: SU!: Pricing Question

I have 2 small churches that I create cards, flyers, etc. for various events.  I normally provide 2-3 samples for them to choose from.  For example, last night one of the churches called and wanted me to design postcards inviting family and friends to their Easter Service.  I spent approximately one hour on the phone with them designing the card in MDS because they wanted to place the order last night.  When they have visitors, they call and ask me to create a thank you card and this is usually done by hand.  One of the churches wants me to create a box of all occasion cards (thank you, praying for you, etc.) so they will have them on hand.  

How do you charge for these type of requests? They are small churches and I don't want to charge too much but don't want to give away my services either.  I have donated free services in the past and may continue to do so from time to time but not on a regular basis.

I would really appreciate any advice you can offer! Thanks!

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: jeanspells@hotmail.com
If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Pricing-Question-tp7410.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h92@.nabble
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.

Reply | Threaded
|

You may be interested in this about the new company

grantj
In reply to this post by Jean Spells

Jan Grant
Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Springfield, IL