Planning a Stamping Retreat

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Planning a Stamping Retreat

donnab07
My team and I are in the beginning stages of planning a day-long stamping retreat to be held at the beginning of October.  I have never hosted a stamping retreat before.  I am looking for advice to help us make the event a success.  I am particularly interested in how you manage the budget.  We want to have gift bags, a prize patrol, nice projects, displays, lunch and snacks.  I am getting the venue for really cheap, but am concerned about the other expenses when we do not know how many attendees we will have and therefore do not know how much to charge for the event.  Thanks in advance for any help you folks can provide.
Donna Bagwell
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Planning a Stamping Retreat

Angie Brailsford

I'd recommend starting with having everyone pre-register.... otherwise, it's going to be very difficult to prepare. If there is a cost to the participants, I'd even have them pay in advance to secure their spot.

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019, 1:27 PM SUDSOL [donnab07] via Business Talk <ml%2Bs1100894n49059h45@n7.nabble.com> wrote:
donna@idahobagwells.net?subject=Planning+a+Stamping+Retreat
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: donna@idahobagwells.net

My team and I are in the beginning stages of planning a day-long stamping retreat to be held at the beginning of October.  I have never hosted a stamping retreat before.  I am looking for advice to help us make the event a success.  I am particularly interested in how you manage the budget.  We want to have gift bags, a prize patrol, nice projects, displays, lunch and snacks.  I am getting the venue for really cheap, but am concerned about the other expenses when we do not know how many attendees we will have and therefore do not know how much to charge for the event.  Thanks in advance for any help you folks can provide.
Donna Bagwell

If you want the reply to go ONLY to donnab07, please change the email address to: donna@idahobagwells.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Planning-a-Stamping-Retreat-tp49059.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml%2Bs1100894n3h9@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Business Talk, click here.
Always looking forward to a stampin’ good time! Angie Brailsford n2ink.stampinup.net n2ink2@gmail.com Let me be your CARDiologist ♥
Reply | Threaded
|

Beverly Derringer

I have not organized a stamping retreat. But have done this a lot at work for 500 plus people. 

We have a committee that sets down and makes a schedule for the 3 days. 

Then we consider what the cost is per person:  name badge, supplies each need, copies, lunch cost, afternoon snack cost, clean up costs and any shipping costs. 

So for a Stamping Retreat this is what I might consider:

Maximum number of people area will hold or maximum number able to handle to instruct. Say 100

Cost of room divided by half of maximum attending. That way there is a buffer for unexpected costs. If no unexpected costs then extra can be dispersed how ever you feel is right. We hold extra money for the next retreat. 

Name badges(25 @ $15.00) $.60
Supplies: for 4 projects
  Cardstock 4 sheets @ .34 $1.34
  Stamp sets 1 per 6
   Etc.
Lunch sack or buffet $15 
Copies of instructions per project $2.00
Afternoon snack cookies/drink $3
Cleaning service $250 /100 = $2.50

Do you want to provide bottled water for all day. 4 per person $8.00 ( could be less). Maybe soda, tea , or say bottle water will be available until gone and can recommend bring own drinks. 

Is there a cost for set up and take down. If so divided by half the number attending. 

Might be other things with a stamping retreat but this is a start. We always had the cost sent with registration and be sent 30 days before the event. That way you know the number to plan for. 

Hope this is helpful. 

Sent from my iPhone
Beverly Derringer

On Jul 21, 2019, at 8:12 AM, SUDSOL [Angie Brailsford] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n49080h61@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

n2ink2@gmail.com?subject=Re: SU!: Planning a Stamping Retreat
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: n2ink2@gmail.com

I'd recommend starting with having everyone pre-register.... otherwise, it's going to be very difficult to prepare. If there is a cost to the participants, I'd even have them pay in advance to secure their spot.

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019, 1:27 PM SUDSOL [donnab07] via Business Talk <ml%2Bs1100894n49059h45@n7.nabble.com> wrote:
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: donna@idahobagwells.net

My team and I are in the beginning stages of planning a day-long stamping retreat to be held at the beginning of October. I have never hosted a stamping retreat before. I am looking for advice to help us make the event a success. I am particularly interested in how you manage the budget. We want to have gift bags, a prize patrol, nice projects, displays, lunch and snacks. I am getting the venue for really cheap, but am concerned about the other expenses when we do not know how many attendees we will have and therefore do not know how much to charge for the event. Thanks in advance for any help you folks can provide.
Donna Bagwell

If you want the reply to go ONLY to donnab07, please change the email address to: donna@idahobagwells.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Planning-a-Stamping-Retreat-tp49059.html
Always looking forward to a stampin’ good time! Angie Brailsford n2ink.stampinup.net n2ink2@gmail.com Let me be your CARDiologist ♥

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Angie Brailsford, please change the email address to: n2ink2@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Planning-a-Stamping-Retreat-tp49059p49080.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h74@n7.nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: SU!: Planning a Stamping Retreat

donnab07

Thank you!  This is indeed helpful.

Donna

From: ml+s1100894n49083h15@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n49083h15@.nabble]
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 9:51 AM
To: SUDSOL Group <donna@>
Subject: Re: SU!: Planning a Stamping Retreat

bevderringer@yahoo.com?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20Planning%20a%20Stamping%20Retreat

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: bevderringer@yahoo.com

I have not organized a stamping retreat. But have done this a lot at work for 500 plus people. 

Then we consider what the cost is per person:  name badge, supplies each need, copies, lunch cost, afternoon snack cost, clean up costs and any shipping costs. 

Maximum number of people area will hold or maximum number able to handle to instruct. Say 100

Cost of room divided by half of maximum attending. That way there is a buffer for unexpected costs. If no unexpected costs then extra can be dispersed how ever you feel is right. We hold extra money for the next retreat. 

Stamp sets 1 per 6

Etc.

Lunch sack or buffet $15 

Do you want to provide bottled water for all day. 4 per person $8.00 ( could be less). Maybe soda, tea , or say bottle water will be available until gone and can recommend bring own drinks. 

Is there a cost for set up and take down. If so divided by half the number attending. 

Might be other things with a stamping retreat but this is a start. We always had the cost sent with registration and be sent 30 days before the event. That way you know the number to plan for. 

Hope this is helpful. 

Sent from my iPhone

Beverly Derringer

On Jul 21, 2019, at 8:12 AM, SUDSOL [Angie Brailsford] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n49080h61@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: n2ink2@gmail.com

My team and I are in the beginning stages of planning a day-long stamping retreat to be held at the beginning of October. I have never hosted a stamping retreat before. I am looking for advice to help us make the event a success. I am particularly interested in how you manage the budget. We want to have gift bags, a prize patrol, nice projects, displays, lunch and snacks. I am getting the venue for really cheap, but am concerned about the other expenses when we do not know how many attendees we will have and therefore do not know how much to charge for the event. Thanks in advance for any help you folks can provide.
Donna Bagwell

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Angie Brailsford, please change the email address to: n2ink2@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Planning-a-Stamping-Retreat-tp49059p49080.html

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Beverly Derringer, please change the email address to: bevderringer@yahoo.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Planning-a-Stamping-Retreat-tp49059p49083.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h35@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Planning a Stamping Retreat, click here.

Reply | Threaded
|

Catherine Harwood
In reply to this post by Beverly Derringer

Two of my downline have recently started hosting day-long retreats together at a church fellowship hall — so very reasonable venue cost. They have done 2 — and are planning their third for November. A few things they have done that I think are very smart:

- Early Bird Discount (register and pay by a certain date and save $10 over registrations after that date — then there is a deadline for all other pre-pay registrations). I think it’s $65 or $75 after the early bird date.
- Their goodie bag has a value of about $25 — and some of the items in the goodie bag might be used on the make and takes with plenty of product left over. And the goodie bag could include one of an item — such as one of our copper tins. So you get a selection of products to try and not just a few higher priced items.
- In addition to the make and takes — which are set up at stamping station plus have direction sheets with a few photos — they bring lots of stamps, die cutting and embossing items, punches, etc. and guests are welcome to use those.
- They make wonderful sample boards — each centered around a product suite
- They have a candy bar with a little bucket or box we can each fill up
- They asked if I would do a couple of demonstrations each time — on a small table in a corner of the room that people can gather and watch if they want. I’ve demonstrated Stamparatus tips and special techniques with that; Stampin’ Blends; the new pigment powders, etc. 
- They have an incentive for ordering that day — such as they pay the shipping and tax on orders.
- The first time the lunch was sandwich rings from a local grocery store deli and with a vegetarian option. The second one was a BBQ theme — with pulled pork and chicken from a local wholesale club in separate slow cookers, buns, picnic food — most of which they or relatives made to keep down the cost.
- Once they pick a theme — they do a great job of decorating inexpensively around that theme using items from local dollar stores, etc.
- So it’s not too crowded — they limit it to about 50 people.
- They have a few prize patrols — and a couple of all attendee giveaways — and a couple of those are something they’ve made such as cute magnets made with SU supplies — the goal is to surprise and delight so you want to come again and be spoiled for the day.
- A cash and carry area for the SU items we are allowed to cash and carry such as adhesives, card kits, etc.

I know it is a lot of work for them — but the sales for all the retreat supplies and then the orders that day really make a difference for them.

Catherine Harwood, Independent Stampin' Up Demonstrator
Merritt Island on Florida's Space Coast
charwood@earthlink.net
321-449-9471  (H)
321-243-0213 (C)
Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/321stamp
Check out samples and ideas at: 
www.321stamp.com/

On Jul 21, 2019, at 12:50 PM, SUDSOL [Beverly Derringer] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n49083h74@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: bevderringer@yahoo.com

Stamp sets 1 per 6
   Etc.
Lunch sack or buffet $15 

Hope this is helpful. 

Sent from my iPhone
Beverly Derringer

Donna Bagwell

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Beverly Derringer, please change the email address to: bevderringer@yahoo.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Planning-a-Stamping-Retreat-tp49059p49083.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, ml+s1100894n3h94@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: SU!: Planning a Stamping Retreat

donnab07

Thank you, Catherine, for sharing!!  Some of your ideas I have already thought of (like the early bird registration), but others I have not thought of yet.  I am definitely going to share your ideas (as well  as Beverly’s) at my next team planning meeting.  The one thing I have struggled with is how to budget for the day and set the registration price.   The suggestions I have received should help us make that decision.

Donna

From: ml+s1100894n49087h39@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n49087h39@.nabble]
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 2:26 PM
To: SUDSOL Group <donna@>
Subject: Re: SU!: Planning a Stamping Retreat

charwood@earthlink.net?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20Planning%20a%20Stamping%20Retreat

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: charwood@earthlink.net

Two of my downline have recently started hosting day-long retreats together at a church fellowship hall — so very reasonable venue cost. They have done 2 — and are planning their third for November. A few things they have done that I think are very smart:

- Early Bird Discount (register and pay by a certain date and save $10 over registrations after that date — then there is a deadline for all other pre-pay registrations). I think it’s $65 or $75 after the early bird date.

- Their goodie bag has a value of about $25 — and some of the items in the goodie bag might be used on the make and takes with plenty of product left over. And the goodie bag could include one of an item — such as one of our copper tins. So you get a selection of products to try and not just a few higher priced items.

- In addition to the make and takes — which are set up at stamping station plus have direction sheets with a few photos — they bring lots of stamps, die cutting and embossing items, punches, etc. and guests are welcome to use those.

- They make wonderful sample boards — each centered around a product suite

- They have a candy bar with a little bucket or box we can each fill up

- They asked if I would do a couple of demonstrations each time — on a small table in a corner of the room that people can gather and watch if they want. I’ve demonstrated Stamparatus tips and special techniques with that; Stampin’ Blends; the new pigment powders, etc. 

- They have an incentive for ordering that day — such as they pay the shipping and tax on orders.

- The first time the lunch was sandwich rings from a local grocery store deli and with a vegetarian option. The second one was a BBQ theme — with pulled pork and chicken from a local wholesale club in separate slow cookers, buns, picnic food — most of which they or relatives made to keep down the cost.

- Once they pick a theme — they do a great job of decorating inexpensively around that theme using items from local dollar stores, etc.

- So it’s not too crowded — they limit it to about 50 people.

- They have a few prize patrols — and a couple of all attendee giveaways — and a couple of those are something they’ve made such as cute magnets made with SU supplies — the goal is to surprise and delight so you want to come again and be spoiled for the day.

- A cash and carry area for the SU items we are allowed to cash and carry such as adhesives, card kits, etc.

I know it is a lot of work for them — but the sales for all the retreat supplies and then the orders that day really make a difference for them.

Catherine Harwood, Independent Stampin' Up Demonstrator
Merritt Island on Florida's Space Coast
charwood@earthlink.net
321-449-9471  (H)
321-243-0213 (C)
Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/321stamp
Check out samples and ideas at: 
www.321stamp.com/

On Jul 21, 2019, at 12:50 PM, SUDSOL [Beverly Derringer] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n49083h74@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

Stamp sets 1 per 6

Etc.

Lunch sack or buffet $15 

Hope this is helpful. 

Sent from my iPhone

Beverly Derringer

Donna Bagwell

To start a new topic under Business Talk, ml+s1100894n3h94@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Catherine Harwood, please change the email address to: charwood@earthlink.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Planning-a-Stamping-Retreat-tp49059p49087.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h35@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Planning a Stamping Retreat, click here.