Old wooden dies

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Old wooden dies

grantj

Just a note of caution. If you are considering divesting yourself of your Big Shot and getting the new Stampin’ Cut and Emboss machine(s) be sure any old wooden dies you might have held on to (like I have) will fit in the new machines. Something tells me they won’t.

Jan Grant

Independent Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Old wooden dies

Linda Ross

What is a wooden die?

Linda

On Apr 27, 2020, at 3:11 PM, SUDSOL [grantj] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52872h90@.nabble> wrote:

Just a note of caution. If you are considering divesting yourself of your Big Shot and getting the new Stampin’ Cut and Emboss machine(s) be sure any old wooden dies you might have held on to (like I have) will fit in the new machines. Something tells me they won’t.

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: revjanstamps@comcast.net
If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Old-wooden-dies-tp52872.html
To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h99@.nabble
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Old wooden dies

Cindy McCool
In reply to this post by grantj

Point of clarification, in case there is confusion, these were called Steel Ruled Dies, because there was a steel cutting blade imbedded in the black foam that was mounted on a wooden (most often) base. The size of the die is approximately the size of the current platform and was also used with cutting plates top and bottom.  I agree with Jan, something tells me it won’t be compliant with the new machine.

Cindy McCool

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Montara CA

From: ml+s1100894n52872h79@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n52872h79@.nabble]
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 1:12 PM
To: SUDSOL Group
Subject: SU!: Old wooden dies

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: revjanstamps@comcast.net

If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

To unsubscribe from SUDSOL Info & Help, click here.

Cindy McCool
PO Box 370891
Montara, CA 94037
cindy@mccoolmgt.com
650-867-0037 (text)
Reply | Threaded
|

Jeanne Moss

This is a good point!  I have several steel rule dies.  I also have some of those little cut and emboss folders we used to sell, so in addition to keeping a Big Shot, I plan to keep one of the old style platforms to use with those, too.  

I have always kept two Big Shots set up for classes..... one for embossing folders and one for cutting.  I’ll probably just get one of the new machines and use it for cutting and continue to use a Big Shot for embossing folders, instead of purchasing two new machines.

For those who weren’t around for the steel rule dies, they were heavy duty dies that could be used to cut fabric, cardboard, chipboard, and even metal soda cans!  But, they were mostly simple shapes.  One of the most popular was the Top Note die.  If you google or search on Pinterest for Top Note die, you’ll see this used in tons of things.

Jeanne Moss
jeanne.moss@
http://jeannemoss.stampinup.net
www.bluegrassstamper.com

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 27, 2020, at 4:31 PM, SUDSOL [Cindy McCool] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52874h35@.nabble> wrote:

Point of clarification, in case there is confusion, these were called Steel Ruled Dies, because there was a steel cutting blade imbedded in the black foam that was mounted on a wooden (most often) base. The size of the die is approximately the size of the current platform and was also used with cutting plates top and bottom.  I agree with Jan, something tells me it won’t be compliant with the new machine.

Cindy McCool

Montara CA

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Cindy McCool
PO Box 370891
Montara, CA 94037
cindy@
650-867-0037 (text)

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: cindy@mccoolmgt.com
http://forum.sudsol.org/Old-wooden-dies-tp52872p52874.html
To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h82@.nabble
Reply | Threaded
|

Barbara Stitt
In reply to this post by Cindy McCool

I just talked with DS and they told me the old style - steel rule dies WILL
work in the new machine.  I had my doubts, but assured they will work.  
I am not planning to purchase a new machine right now, but am sure I
Will be asked this question by long time customers.  Hope this helps.

Barbara Stitt

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 27, 2020, at 4:31 PM, SUDSOL [Cindy McCool] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52874h40@.nabble> wrote:

Cindy McCool

Montara CA

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Cindy McCool
PO Box 370891
Montara, CA 94037
cindy@
650-867-0037 (text)

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: cindy@mccoolmgt.com
To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h87@.nabble
Reply | Threaded
|

grantj

Thanks, Barb. I heard the same on another platform. I think I won’t get rid of any Big Shot until I try it. And no, I’m not from Missouri, but close! 

Sent from my iPad
Jan Grant
independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Springfield, IL
(217) 415-1860
revjanstamps@

On Apr 27, 2020, at 3:45 PM, SUDSOL [Barbara Stitt] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52876h55@.nabble> wrote:

Barbara Stitt

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 27, 2020, at 4:31 PM, SUDSOL [Cindy McCool] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52874h40@.nabble> wrote:

Cindy McCool

Montara CA

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Cindy McCool
PO Box 370891
Montara, CA 94037
cindy@
650-867-0037 (text)

To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h87@.nabble

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: Tnstampingranny@hotmail.com
http://forum.sudsol.org/Old-wooden-dies-tp52872p52876.html
To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h40@.nabble
Reply | Threaded
|

Pat Zweber

Those ol die cuts were called Bigz.  They were as thick as the platforms and only needed the two cutting plates.
Pat

On Apr 27, 2020, at 4:16 PM, SUDSOL [grantj] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52878h11@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

Thanks, Barb. I heard the same on another platform. I think I won’t get rid of any Big Shot until I try it. And no, I’m not from Missouri, but close! 

Sent from my iPad
Jan Grant
Springfield, IL
(217) 415-1860
revjanstamps@

On Apr 27, 2020, at 3:45 PM, SUDSOL [Barbara Stitt] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52876h55@.nabble> wrote:

Barbara Stitt

Sent from my iPad

Cindy McCool

Montara CA

From: ml+s1100894n52872h79@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n52872h79@.nabble] 
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 1:12 PM
To: SUDSOL Group
Subject: SU!: Old wooden dies

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: revjanstamps@comcast.net

To unsubscribe from SUDSOL Info & Help, click here.

Cindy McCool 
PO Box 370891 
Montara, CA 94037 
cindy@ 
650-867-0037 (text) 

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: cindy@mccoolmgt.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: Tnstampingranny@hotmail.com
To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h40@.nabble 

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: revjanstamps@comcast.net
http://forum.sudsol.org/Old-wooden-dies-tp52872p52878.html
To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h34@n7.nabble.com 

Reply | Threaded
|

Maria Pobre

And, if they didin’t have score lines, they could cut through multiple layers of cardstock at the same time! I miss them.

Happy Stampin’~

Maria Pobre
Guam, USA

On Apr 28, 2020, at 9:16 AM, SUDSOL [Pat Zweber] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52879h81@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

Those ol die cuts were called Bigz.  They were as thick as the platforms and only needed the two cutting plates.
Pat

On Apr 27, 2020, at 4:16 PM, SUDSOL [grantj] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52878h11@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

Sent from my iPad
Jan Grant
Springfield, IL
(217) 415-1860
revjanstamps@

Barbara Stitt

Sent from my iPad

Cindy McCool

Montara CA

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Cindy McCool 
PO Box 370891 
Montara, CA 94037 
cindy@ 
650-867-0037 (text) 

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: cindy@mccoolmgt.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: Tnstampingranny@hotmail.com
To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h40@.nabble 

To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h34@n7.nabble.com 

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: pzweber@vcn.com
http://forum.sudsol.org/Old-wooden-dies-tp52872p52879.html
To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h73@n7.nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Barbara Stitt

I still have many, but they sure take up a lot of space.  I do have them in the
Storage boxes which keeps them in order, but the new ones are much easier 
to store.  Everything everywhere keeps changing. We just have to adjust!  
It’s fun thinking about the dies and all the things we made with them!  

Barbara Stitt

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 27, 2020, at 7:39 PM, SUDSOL [Maria Pobre] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52880h26@.nabble> wrote:

And, if they didin’t have score lines, they could cut through multiple layers of cardstock at the same time! I miss them.

Happy Stampin’~

Maria Pobre
Guam, USA

On Apr 28, 2020, at 9:16 AM, SUDSOL [Pat Zweber] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52879h81@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

Pat

Sent from my iPad
Jan Grant
Springfield, IL
(217) 415-1860
revjanstamps@

Barbara Stitt

Sent from my iPad

Cindy McCool

Montara CA

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Cindy McCool 
PO Box 370891 
Montara, CA 94037 
cindy@ 
650-867-0037 (text) 

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: pzweber@vcn.com
http://forum.sudsol.org/Old-wooden-dies-tp52872p52879.html
To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h73@n7.nabble.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: Stampinmia@gmail.com
http://forum.sudsol.org/Old-wooden-dies-tp52872p52880.html
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: SU!: Old wooden dies

Lois Folla
In reply to this post by Jeanne Moss

Yes, as some of you, I kept the XL Bigz Die and others… and have cutting plates for them. So I will be keeping my big shot even after I get the new one, eventually. Did I miss something, did someone ask DS if the old XL Bigz dies work in the new die cutting machine?

Thank you and stay strong! We have heat, ac, food, stamping, loved ones, homes, so much that others didn’t have hundreds of years ago. We can handle going through this virus! We will!

God Bless,

Lois Folla

From: ml+s1100894n52875h41@.nabble <ml+s1100894n52875h41@.nabble>
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 4:45 PM
To: SUDSOL Group <lois@>
Subject: Re: SU!: Old wooden dies

This is a good point!  I have several steel rule dies.  I also have some of those little cut and emboss folders we used to sell, so in addition to keeping a Big Shot, I plan to keep one of the old style platforms to use with those, too.  

I have always kept two Big Shots set up for classes..... one for embossing folders and one for cutting.  I’ll probably just get one of the new machines and use it for cutting and continue to use a Big Shot for embossing folders, instead of purchasing two new machines.

For those who weren’t around for the steel rule dies, they were heavy duty dies that could be used to cut fabric, cardboard, chipboard, and even metal soda cans!  But, they were mostly simple shapes.  One of the most popular was the Top Note die.  If you google or search on Pinterest for Top Note die, you’ll see this used in tons of things.

Jeanne Moss

jeanne.moss@

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 27, 2020, at 4:31 PM, SUDSOL [Cindy McCool] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52874h35@.nabble> wrote:

Cindy McCool

Montara CA

From: ml+s1100894n52872h79@.nabble [ml+s1100894n52872h79@.nabble]

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Cindy McCool
PO Box 370891
Montara, CA 94037
cindy@
650-867-0037 (text)

To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h82@.nabble

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: stampingal@live.com

http://forum.sudsol.org/Old-wooden-dies-tp52872p52875.html

To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h57@n7.nabble.com

Reply | Threaded
|

Lois Folla
In reply to this post by Cindy McCool

Thank you Cindy for the explanation! I doubt the XL Sizzix dies and others will fit. But that is okay. It’s not a Sizzix machine. As long as you keep or get another big shot so you an use your great dies, it’s not a problem. I have way too many I would give up so I won’t need to worry about having a big shot. I will always need one.

Lois Folla

From: ml+s1100894n52874h10@.nabble <ml+s1100894n52874h10@.nabble>
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 4:31 PM

Cindy McCool

Montara CA

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Cindy McCool
PO Box 370891
Montara, CA 94037
cindy@mccoolmgt.com
650-867-0037 (text)

To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, email ml+s1100894n2311h57@n7.nabble.com

Reply | Threaded
|

Nola Burkhard
In reply to this post by Lois Folla

I have 2 perfectly fine Big Shots and lots and lots of brand new plates. I have no plans to sell or donate either one of them. I still have a few of the BIGZ dies and since I only run catalog kickoff parties I really don’t see any reason to upgrade at this point.
Nola

On Apr 28, 2020, at 11:29 AM, SUDSOL [Lois Folla] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52900h76@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

Yes, as some of you, I kept the XL Bigz Die and others… and have cutting plates for them. So I will be keeping my big shot even after I get the new one, eventually. Did I miss something, did someone ask DS if the old XL Bigz dies work in the new die cutting machine?

Thank you and stay strong! We have heat, ac, food, stamping, loved ones, homes, so much that others didn’t have hundreds of years ago. We can handle going through this virus! We will!

God Bless,

Lois Folla

Jeanne Moss

jeanne.moss@

Sent from my iPad

Cindy McCool

Montara CA

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Cindy McCool
PO Box 370891
Montara, CA 94037
cindy@
650-867-0037 (text)

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: stampingal@live.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: lois@stampinpress.com
http://forum.sudsol.org/Old-wooden-dies-tp52872p52900.html
To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, ml+s1100894n2311h17@n7.nabble.com

Nola J. Burkhard
Prescott, AZ
978-846-2046
nolaburkhard@icloud.com
SU! Demo since 2005
Etsy shop: Inkonmypaws

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Old wooden dies

Lois Folla
In reply to this post by grantj

Bouquet BIgz L Die Framelits.JPG (60K) Download Attachment
Clear Circle Die Framelits.JPG (30K) Download Attachment
Elegant Bird Die Framelits.JPG (24K) Download Attachment

I attached pictures of the dies we are talking about.

From: ml+s1100894n52872h48@.nabble <ml+s1100894n52872h48@.nabble>
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 4:12 PM

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Reply | Threaded
|

Lois Folla
In reply to this post by Nola Burkhard

I tend to agree with you Nola, until we find using the new dies a big pain in the butt, trying to each them to work in the Big Shot. I know the dies won’t all need the same shim, and I will not have patience to make post it notes on all my dies to keep track. Ya know what I mean 😊

From: ml+s1100894n52902h78@.nabble <ml+s1100894n52902h78@.nabble>
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 2:32 PM

I have 2 perfectly fine Big Shots and lots and lots of brand new plates. I have no plans to sell or donate either one of them. I still have a few of the BIGZ dies and since I only run catalog kickoff parties I really don’t see any reason to upgrade at this point.

Nola

On Apr 28, 2020, at 11:29 AM, SUDSOL [Lois Folla] via SUDSOL Info & Help <ml+s1100894n52900h76@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

God Bless,

Lois Folla

Jeanne Moss

jeanne.moss@

Sent from my iPad

Cindy McCool

Montara CA

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Cindy McCool
PO Box 370891
Montara, CA 94037
cindy@
650-867-0037 (text)

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: lois@stampinpress.com

http://forum.sudsol.org/Old-wooden-dies-tp52872p52900.html

To start a new topic under SUDSOL Info & Help, ml+s1100894n2311h17@n7.nabble.com

Nola J. Burkhard

Prescott, AZ

978-846-2046

nolaburkhard@icloud.com

SU! Demo since 2005

Etsy shop: Inkonmypaws

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: Nolaburkhard@icloud.com

http://forum.sudsol.org/Old-wooden-dies-tp52872p52902.html