New idea I'm trying

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New idea I'm trying

Tia Hurt

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone else has tried this?  I'm REALLY scrambling to find new customers.  I have a great small group of ladies, but they only want my classes, and never buy anything.  And they are not very interested in product based classes unless they are really cheap.  Basically, I can't seem to get more than a $15 class out of them (4 cards/envelopes).
I've become good friends with a couple of them and know they're only coming for the girl time.  Their personal style is very different than mine.  I love time spent with them, but I need the business if I'm going to stay a demo.  I don't have a lot of time to put into it right now, just looking to cover my minimums at this time.  I lost both of my paper pumpkin subscribers this month.  Even with the new products (which I have really loved), they felt the kits weren't worth the money.

So, I've decided to start a new MeetUp group.  It's a combination book club/craft club.  We are reading the Kiki Lowenstein Scrap N Craft Mystery series, and once a month get together to discuss the book and make the crafts in the books.

We are meeting at Panera Bread, and they bring their own tools and supplies unless it's something I specify I'll bring.  My thought here is just meet new people, and if they become customers, that's great, and if not, they are at least a contact to others.

We are meeting for the first time later this month, and I have 4 people signed up.  One of the ladies used to be a SU demo, and offered to help, so I will definitely be getting to know her!

Of course, the supplies I will bring will all be SU and my tools will all be SU.

Thoughts?

Tia Hurt
Independent Stampin' Up Demonstrator
Serving the Spring, TX Area

eMail:  tjhurt01@yahoo.com
Phone: (832) 477-6055
Tia Hurt Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator www.tiahurt.stampinup.net Serving the Spring, TX Area
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New idea I'm trying

Wendie Wilbur
I understand struggling.  I'm in the same boat.  Having a regular group of people who come to your classes is a good thing.  If they pay $15/class, that is going to help you meet your minimums, plus give you something for your time.  If you enjoy the time you spend with them, that's an added bonus!

As for your idea... any idea is a good one!  Yours sounds great.  You are meeting up in a public location, discussing the monthly book reading while doing some fun crafting.  Win/win.  You never know but what you will get some customers out of this.  After all, they have to purchase their crafting materials somewhere, right? You might even be contacted by customers/workers at the restaurant who would like to join your group.

I went down to my local small-town library on Wednesday to donate some books.  I was super-surprised to see that they are having a Stampin' Up! night on the 19th!  Wow - why didn't I think of that?  They are  taking the proceeds for the event and donating it for the library.  Of course, any sales the demonstrator makes will be for her.  The flyer said you will get to see the new catalog and can buy your products.  IF you don't want to purchase products for yourself, you can purchase products for the library to sell in their upcoming fund-raiser!  What a great idea!  I just wish I'd thought of it...

Good luck with your adventure!
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Re: New idea I'm trying

Karel Standish

My library will not allow you to have “paid” classes.  The funny thing about the way they have the area set up is:  there is a room they call the quiet study room.  I used the room for a small stamp night with friends and they complained that we were talking and told me I needed to use the main area of the library if we were going to talk.  Huh?  I guess I gave her the deer in the headlights look and then commented that I didn’t think you were supposed to talk in the main area, that’s why we were in the room so we wouldn’t disturb any one.  Well, it seems we were disturbing folks that wanted to use the “quiet study room” so I guess the library is out for me.   

Color me confused,

Karel

From: ml-node+s1100894n10699h69@.nabble [mailto:ml-node+s1100894n10699h69@.nabble]
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:33 AM
To: SUDSOL Group
Subject: SU!: Re: New idea I'm trying

cwilburj@maine.rr.com?subject=Re:%20New%20idea%20I'm%20trying

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: cwilburj@maine.rr.com

I understand struggling.  I'm in the same boat.  Having a regular group of people who come to your classes is a good thing.  If they pay $15/class, that is going to help you meet your minimums, plus give you something for your time.  If you enjoy the time you spend with them, that's an added bonus!

As for your idea... any idea is a good one!  Yours sounds great.  You are meeting up in a public location, discussing the monthly book reading while doing some fun crafting.  Win/win.  You never know but what you will get some customers out of this.  After all, they have to purchase their crafting materials somewhere, right? You might even be contacted by customers/workers at the restaurant who would like to join your group.

I went down to my local small-town library on Wednesday to donate some books.  I was super-surprised to see that they are having a Stampin' Up! night on the 19th!  Wow - why didn't I think of that?  They are  taking the proceeds for the event and donating it for the library.  Of course, any sales the demonstrator makes will be for her.  The flyer said you will get to see the new catalog and can buy your products.  IF you don't want to purchase products for yourself, you can purchase products for the library to sell in their upcoming fund-raiser!  What a great idea!  I just wish I'd thought of it...

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Wendie Wilbur, please change the email address to: cwilburj@maine.rr.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/New-idea-I-m-trying-tp10679p10699.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h93@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: New idea I'm trying

Joan Norman
In reply to this post by Tia Hurt

My clubs disbanded but my customers pay $20 for a Stamp a stack of 10 cards with envelopes. Then I order for me or if they give me an order.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 13, 2014, at 9:27 AM, "SUDSOL [Tia Hurt] via Business Talk" <ml-node+s1100894n10679h69@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

tjhurt01@yahoo.com?subject=New idea I'm trying
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: tjhurt01@yahoo.com

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone else has tried this?  I'm REALLY scrambling to find new customers.  I have a great small group of ladies, but they only want my classes, and never buy anything.  And they are not very interested in product based classes unless they are really cheap.  Basically, I can't seem to get more than a $15 class out of them (4 cards/envelopes).
I've become good friends with a couple of them and know they're only coming for the girl time.  Their personal style is very different than mine.  I love time spent with them, but I need the business if I'm going to stay a demo.  I don't have a lot of time to put into it right now, just looking to cover my minimums at this time.  I lost both of my paper pumpkin subscribers this month.  Even with the new products (which I have really loved), they felt the kits weren't worth the money.

So, I've decided to start a new MeetUp group.  It's a combination book club/craft club.  We are reading the Kiki Lowenstein Scrap N Craft Mystery series, and once a month get together to discuss the book and make the crafts in the books.

We are meeting at Panera Bread, and they bring their own tools and supplies unless it's something I specify I'll bring.  My thought here is just meet new people, and if they become customers, that's great, and if not, they are at least a contact to others.

We are meeting for the first time later this month, and I have 4 people signed up.  One of the ladies used to be a SU demo, and offered to help, so I will definitely be getting to know her!

Of course, the supplies I will bring will all be SU and my tools will all be SU.

Thoughts?

Tia Hurt
Independent Stampin' Up Demonstrator
Serving the Spring, TX Area

Phone: (832) 477-6055
Tia Hurt Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator www.tiahurt.stampinup.net Serving the Spring, TX Area

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Tia Hurt, please change the email address to: tjhurt01@yahoo.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/New-idea-I-m-trying-tp10679.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h13@n5.nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: RE: Re: New idea I'm trying

Diane Giarrusso
In reply to this post by Karel Standish

Hi Karel, and everyone,

About Libraries, 2 things (I'm a Librarian):

1:  Quiet Study Rooms (all 4 of ours) are used by people who want to STUDY in a QUIET ROOM. Chatting in the same room or adjacent rooms disturbs those who are trying do work quietly. We do not allow them to be used for social get togethers or meetings. It's possible that your library wishes to use their study rooms the same way.

1. Here's a perspective about using Libraries for business purposes that I sent about a year ago. It may shed some light on the reasons libraries don't allow paid classes for small business owners.

I want to reply to the Library Classes convo that comes up now and again when people are trying to build or expand their SU business.

I am a librarian by day and an SU Demo by night.

Now I am wearing my Library hat! :)  I hope to explain a bit about why our library policies seem so restrictive to you. My only goal is to explain where the public library is coming from when you approach them.

Please understand that when I talk about "Library/Libraries" I am talking in general terms. These are things that MOST public libraries value and practice. Local libraries (and county or city systems) reflect the local values of their communities, so policies differ from library to library. I am also talking about libraries in the U.S., although I believe many libraries in Canada operate similarly.

Public libraries are funded primarily with your local taxes. Our values include making our services available to anyone who walks through our doors, free of (most) charges, and on an equitable basis. Our services include not only lending books and DVDs (and bunches of other things!), but also making computers, study rooms, story time, lectures, classes and meeting spaces available. In essence, we share stuff and try to make sure everyone has a turn.

Because our mission is to serve the public and share our resources (which we all pay for) with everyone regardless of their ability to pay, we ask that all programs and events are free and open to the public and we don't charge them to attend. We do not allow solicitation at the Library because we are a publicly funded space, and to allow selling is anathema to our mission to provide free access to information and learning opportunities. Also, in most communities, there are other privately owned spaces where business transactions can take place (and we Demos are business owners).

I understand the frustration that our policies cause your small business, but you must understand that the mission of the public library is not to provide a sales location for businesses. It is inappropriate to use the public library for customer leads.

My goal is not to offend anyone, and I hope it brings a different perspective to this conversation. Thanks for listening.

P.S. In my library you are allowed to put out flyers and business cards at, but not sell, during your "free to anyone who attends" classes.

Diane Giarrusso
Library Director, Tewksbury Public Library (MA)
Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Quoting "SUDSOL [Karel Standish] via Business Talk" <ml-node+s1100894n10700h6@n5.nabble.com>:

kstandish48@gmail.com?subject=RE:%20Re:%20New%20idea%20I'm%20trying
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: kstandish48@

My library will not allow you to have “paid” classes.  The funny thing about the way they have the area set up is:  there is a room they call the quiet study room.  I used the room for a small stamp night with friends and they complained that we were talking and told me I needed to use the main area of the library if we were going to talk.  Huh?  I guess I gave her the deer in the headlights look and then commented that I didn’t think you were supposed to talk in the main area, that’s why we were in the room so we wouldn’t disturb any one.  Well, it seems we were disturbing folks that wanted to use the “quiet study room” so I guess the library is out for me.   

Color me confused,

Karel

From: ml-node+s1100894n10699h69@.nabble [mailto:ml-node+s1100894n10699h69@.nabble]

cwilburj@.rr?subject=Re:%20New%20idea%20I'm%20trying

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: cwilburj@.rr

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Wendie Wilbur, please change the email address to: cwilburj@.rr
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/New-idea-I-m-trying-tp10679p10699.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h93@.nabble

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Karel Standish, please change the email address to: kstandish48@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/New-idea-I-m-trying-tp10679p10700.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h99@.nabble

Diane Giarrusso
Let me help you create!
Diane Giarrusso
DianeStamps.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Diane Giarrusso
In reply to this post by Karel Standish

Karel,

I would also add, talk with the Librarian in charge about what you want to do. There may be times that are better for a group like yours to use Quiet Study or another area of the Library. There also may be other town facilities that would allow a group to get together and stamp.

Diane Giarrusso

Quoting "SUDSOL [Karel Standish] via Business Talk" <ml-node+s1100894n10700h6@n5.nabble.com>:

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: kstandish48@

Color me confused,

Karel

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: cwilburj@.rr

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Wendie Wilbur, please change the email address to: cwilburj@.rr

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Karel Standish, please change the email address to: kstandish48@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/New-idea-I-m-trying-tp10679p10700.html

Diane Giarrusso
Let me help you create!
Diane Giarrusso
DianeStamps.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Wendie Wilbur
This is the advertisement for our Library's event:

Stamping Party

The Raymond Village Library will be hosting a Stampin’ Up! party on Thursday, June 19, at the library. Come and stamp a few projects using new stamps and accessories. Participants will make two of each item – one you will take home, and one will stay with the library to be sold to benefit the library.

Now -- our little library is open on Thursdays from 2pm - 7pm.  It may be that this event (which starts at 6:30) will be after hours.  Since the event's proceeds are going to the library, that may be the reason in which it is allowed.  

I still think it is a great idea, and one in which I wish I had thought of.  The demo is getting publicity.  She's getting her name out there and reaching more people.  It is a fund-raising event.  They suggest that you buy a product to donate to the library for its fundraising sale.  There is a $5 charge for the event, which covers the demo's supplies.  The demo will earn sales toward her monthly minimum on what people buy for the library donation. Plus -- you may get new customers from the event.  She might get people to sign up as hostesses... Brilliant!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Re: RE: Re: New idea I'm trying

Diane Giarrusso

Looks like a win-win for everyone! Great partnership and exposure for the Library to people who might not use it, and for the Demo to people who might find out how much fun it is to stamp!

Diane Giarrusso

Quoting "SUDSOL [Wendie Wilbur] via Business Talk" <ml-node+s1100894n10713h9@n5.nabble.com>:

cwilburj@maine.rr.com?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20RE:%20Re:%20New%20idea%20I'm%20trying

This is the advertisement for our Library's event:

Stamping Party

The Raymond Village Library will be hosting a Stampin’ Up! party on Thursday, June 19, at the library. Come and stamp a few projects using new stamps and accessories. Participants will make two of each item – one you will take home, and one will stay with the library to be sold to benefit the library.

Now -- our little library is open on Thursdays from 2pm - 7pm.  It may be that this event (which starts at 6:30) will be after hours.  Since the event's proceeds are going to the library, that may be the reason in which it is allowed.  

I still think it is a great idea, and one in which I wish I had thought of.  The demo is getting publicity.  It is a fund-raising event.  They suggest that you buy a product to donate to the library for its fundraising sale.  There is a $5 charge for the event, which covers the demo's supplies.  Plus -- you may get new customers from the event.  Brilliant!

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Wendie Wilbur, please change the email address to: cwilburj@maine.rr.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/New-idea-I-m-trying-tp10679p10713.html

Diane Giarrusso
Let me help you create!
Diane Giarrusso
DianeStamps.com
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Re: RE: Re: New idea I'm trying

Brenda Crawshaw
In reply to this post by Diane Giarrusso

I just wanted to thank you, Diane, for this excellent and eloquent post explaining why things are the way they are.  It’s not only good to know “why we can’t” but also “HOW we CAN”.  Thank you!!! 

From: ml-node+s1100894n10703h63@.nabble [mailto:ml-node+s1100894n10703h63@.nabble]
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:04 PM
Subject: SU!: Re: RE: Re: New idea I'm trying

diane@dianestamps.com?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20RE:%20Re:%20New%20idea%20I'm%20trying

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: diane@dianestamps.com

Hi Karel, and everyone,

About Libraries, 2 things (I'm a Librarian):

1:  Quiet Study Rooms (all 4 of ours) are used by people who want to STUDY in a QUIET ROOM. Chatting in the same room or adjacent rooms disturbs those who are trying do work quietly. We do not allow them to be used for social get togethers or meetings. It's possible that your library wishes to use their study rooms the same way.

1. Here's a perspective about using Libraries for business purposes that I sent about a year ago. It may shed some light on the reasons libraries don't allow paid classes for small business owners.

I want to reply to the Library Classes convo that comes up now and again when people are trying to build or expand their SU business.

I am a librarian by day and an SU Demo by night.

Now I am wearing my Library hat! :)  I hope to explain a bit about why our library policies seem so restrictive to you. My only goal is to explain where the public library is coming from when you approach them.

Please understand that when I talk about "Library/Libraries" I am talking in general terms. These are things that MOST public libraries value and practice. Local libraries (and county or city systems) reflect the local values of their communities, so policies differ from library to library. I am also talking about libraries in the U.S., although I believe many libraries in Canada operate similarly.

Public libraries are funded primarily with your local taxes. Our values include making our services available to anyone who walks through our doors, free of (most) charges, and on an equitable basis. Our services include not only lending books and DVDs (and bunches of other things!), but also making computers, study rooms, story time, lectures, classes and meeting spaces available. In essence, we share stuff and try to make sure everyone has a turn.

Because our mission is to serve the public and share our resources (which we all pay for) with everyone regardless of their ability to pay, we ask that all programs and events are free and open to the public and we don't charge them to attend. We do not allow solicitation at the Library because we are a publicly funded space, and to allow selling is anathema to our mission to provide free access to information and learning opportunities. Also, in most communities, there are other privately owned spaces where business transactions can take place (and we Demos are business owners).

I understand the frustration that our policies cause your small business, but you must understand that the mission of the public library is not to provide a sales location for businesses. It is inappropriate to use the public library for customer leads.

My goal is not to offend anyone, and I hope it brings a different perspective to this conversation. Thanks for listening.

P.S. In my library you are allowed to put out flyers and business cards at, but not sell, during your "free to anyone who attends" classes.

Diane Giarrusso
Library Director, Tewksbury Public Library (MA)
Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Color me confused,

Karel

From: ml-node+s1100894n10699h69@.nabble [ml-node+s1100894n10699h69@.nabble]

Diane Giarrusso
Let me help you create!

Diane Giarrusso
DianeStamps.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Diane Giarrusso, please change the email address to: diane@dianestamps.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/New-idea-I-m-trying-tp10679p10703.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h63@n5.nabble.com

Brenda Crawshaw Blog: http://www.TheCrawshawGroup.com Website: http://www.brendacrawshaw.stampinup.net Contact me! Bhc62@rcn.com or Brenda@WithABirdsEyeView.com 508-628-9765