Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes

Kay Capps

Hi- I am trying to gather information concerning having classes at
retirement homes.

How simple do the projects need to be?

Do you do most of the prep work?

How do you charge for the classes?

Do you get any interest in purchasing items?

Please contact me directly..

Thanks so much for your help.

Kay Capps
Kay Capps
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SU!: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes

Cyndi Foster

I would be interested in this information too.
 
Sent from Windows Mail
 
From: SUDSOL [Kay Capps] via Business Talk
Sent: ‎Saturday‎, ‎February‎ ‎8‎, ‎2014 ‎8‎:‎19‎ ‎AM
To: SUDSOL Group
 

Hi- I am trying to gather information concerning having classes at
retirement homes.

How simple do the projects need to be?

Do you do most of the prep work?

How do you charge for the classes?

Do you get any interest in purchasing items?

Please contact me directly..

Thanks so much for your help.

Kay Capps
Kay Capps


If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: petking@vcn.com
If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Looking-for-ideas-for-having-classes-at-retirement-homes-tp5685.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h27@.nabble
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SU!: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes

Denise Foor
In reply to this post by Kay Capps

Here are my tips for teaching at Senior Centers and Retirement Homes after teaching classes for years at these venues:
 
1.  Do all the prep work.
 
2.  Have glue sticks for those who can’t use SNAIL.
 
3.  No glitter, simple embellishments, no bows (unless you pre-tie them).  I pre-tie bows and they love the ribbon.
 
4.  Provide envelopes since they may not have access to them.
 
5.  Take finished cards to sell.  They love those.  I take mine in a vintage suitcase.
 
6.  Take your Business Cards, Class Schedule and Catalogs.  A lot of time they have relatives or folks that work there are also interested.
 
7.  I do not charge, but use retired SU items for a lot of my classes.
 
8.  Get them involved in a program like Operation Write Home.  Lots of Seniors like to give back.
 
9.  Choose your Senior Center/Retirement Home wisely.....some Seniors are able to do so much more than others.....it depends on the facility and those who attend. 
 
10.  Make sure the Program Director is going to advertise your class for you.
 
Hope this helps.
 
Denise
 
 
 
 
Denise Foor
Stampin' Up! Manager
Stampin' Up! Paper Crafting Classes, Clubs, Crops
Shop SU online 24/7
 
 
From: ml-node+s1100894n5685h56@n5.nabble.com
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2014 10:18 AM
To: dfoor@embarqmail.com
Subject: SU!: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes
 

Hi- I am trying to gather information concerning having classes at
retirement homes.

How simple do the projects need to be?

Do you do most of the prep work?

How do you charge for the classes?

Do you get any interest in purchasing items?

Please contact me directly..

Thanks so much for your help.

Kay Capps
Kay Capps


If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: petking@vcn.com
If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Looking-for-ideas-for-having-classes-at-retirement-homes-tp5685.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h14@.nabble
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.
Denise Foor Stampin’ Up! Manager & SU Independent Demo/Instructor Stampin' Up! Paper Crafting Classes, Clubs, Crops Shop SU online 24/7: http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/denisefoor My blog: http://www.denisefoor.blogspot.com/ My email: dfoor@embarqmail.com Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SU!: Re: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes

Dee Derbini

Since you do not charge for your classes do you get enough business otherwise to make it worth your time?

Dee

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 8, 2014, at 12:27 PM, "SUDSOL [Denise Foor] via Business Talk" <ml-node+s1100894n5691h9@n5.nabble.com> wrote:


Here are my tips for teaching at Senior Centers and Retirement Homes after teaching classes for years at these venues:
 
1.  Do all the prep work.
 
2.  Have glue sticks for those who can’t use SNAIL.
 
3.  No glitter, simple embellishments, no bows (unless you pre-tie them).  I pre-tie bows and they love the ribbon.
 
4.  Provide envelopes since they may not have access to them.
 
5.  Take finished cards to sell.  They love those.  I take mine in a vintage suitcase.
 
6.  Take your Business Cards, Class Schedule and Catalogs.  A lot of time they have relatives or folks that work there are also interested.
 
7.  I do not charge, but use retired SU items for a lot of my classes.
 
8.  Get them involved in a program like Operation Write Home.  Lots of Seniors like to give back.
 
9.  Choose your Senior Center/Retirement Home wisely.....some Seniors are able to do so much more than others.....it depends on the facility and those who attend. 
 
10.  Make sure the Program Director is going to advertise your class for you.
 
Hope this helps.
 
Denise
 
 
 
 
Denise Foor
Stampin' Up! Manager
Stampin' Up! Paper Crafting Classes, Clubs, Crops
Shop SU online 24/7
 
 
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2014 10:18 AM
Subject: SU!: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes
 

Hi- I am trying to gather information concerning having classes at
retirement homes.

How simple do the projects need to be?

Do you do most of the prep work?

How do you charge for the classes?

Do you get any interest in purchasing items?

Please contact me directly..

Thanks so much for your help.

Kay Capps
Kay Capps


If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: petking@vcn.com
If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Looking-for-ideas-for-having-classes-at-retirement-homes-tp5685.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h14@.nabble
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.
Denise Foor Stampin’ Up! Manager & SU Independent Demo/Instructor Stampin' Up! Paper Crafting Classes, Clubs, Crops Shop SU online 24/7: http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/denisefoor My blog: http://www.denisefoor.blogspot.com/ My email: dfoor@embarqmail.com Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!


If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: dfoor@embarqmail.com
If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Looking-for-ideas-for-having-classes-at-retirement-homes-tp5685p5691.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h81@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Business Talk, click here.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SU!: Re: Re: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes

Denise Foor

Dee--
 
I meet new people and folks talk....gives me new customers and orders.  But the real reason I do it is to give back to my community.  I get lots of appreciation and introduce a lot of women to Stampin’ Up!.  Most of the women have younger relatives that they refer to me, but even if they don’t I count it as a win because I come home feeling great!  They call me the “Card Lady”  and smile, call me by name and ask when I will be back....who could as for more......
 
Since volunteering is part of my nature, I would rather do it using Stampin’ Up! as a vehicle than other ways....so for me it is a perfect fit.  I can do what I love and still spread the SU word.  LOL  I even have a customer who is getting ready to retire who has volunteered to be my “helper” at these events next year.....who knows maybe she will sign up to be a Demo????  You never know where things lead.
 
 Denise
 
 
Denise Foor
Stampin' Up! Manager
Stampin' Up! Paper Crafting Classes, Clubs, Crops
Shop SU online 24/7
 
 
From: ml-node+s1100894n5693h4@n5.nabble.com
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2014 1:02 PM
To: dfoor@embarqmail.com
Subject: SU!: Re: Re: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes
 
 
Since you do not charge for your classes do you get enough business otherwise to make it worth your time?
 
Dee

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 8, 2014, at 12:27 PM, "SUDSOL [Denise Foor] via Business Talk" <ml-node+s1100894n5691h9@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

 
Here are my tips for teaching at Senior Centers and Retirement Homes after teaching classes for years at these venues:
 
1.  Do all the prep work.
 
2.  Have glue sticks for those who can’t use SNAIL.
 
3.  No glitter, simple embellishments, no bows (unless you pre-tie them).  I pre-tie bows and they love the ribbon.
 
4.  Provide envelopes since they may not have access to them.
 
5.  Take finished cards to sell.  They love those.  I take mine in a vintage suitcase.
 
6.  Take your Business Cards, Class Schedule and Catalogs.  A lot of time they have relatives or folks that work there are also interested.
 
7.  I do not charge, but use retired SU items for a lot of my classes.
 
8.  Get them involved in a program like Operation Write Home.  Lots of Seniors like to give back.
 
9.  Choose your Senior Center/Retirement Home wisely.....some Seniors are able to do so much more than others.....it depends on the facility and those who attend. 
 
10.  Make sure the Program Director is going to advertise your class for you.
 
Hope this helps.
 
Denise
 
 
 
 
Denise Foor
Stampin' Up! Manager
Stampin' Up! Paper Crafting Classes, Clubs, Crops
Shop SU online 24/7
 
My email: <A href="wlmailhtml:dfoor@embarqmail.com" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">wlmailhtml:dfoor@...
My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/denise_foor/
 
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2014 10:18 AM
Subject: SU!: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes
 

Hi- I am trying to gather information concerning having classes at
retirement homes.

How simple do the projects need to be?

Do you do most of the prep work?

How do you charge for the classes?

Do you get any interest in purchasing items?

Please contact me directly..

Thanks so much for your help.

Kay Capps
Kay Capps


If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: petking@vcn.com
If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Looking-for-ideas-for-having-classes-at-retirement-homes-tp5685.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h14@.nabble
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, <A href="wlmailhtml:{2AEC619E-E92A-4B3C-BDEC-E67BFBDDEF6B}mid://00000438/" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">click here.
Denise Foor Stampin’ Up! Manager & SU Independent Demo/Instructor Stampin' Up! Paper Crafting Classes, Clubs, Crops Shop SU online 24/7: http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/denisefoor My blog: http://www.denisefoor.blogspot.com/ My email: dfoor@embarqmail.com Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!


If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: dfoor@embarqmail.com
If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Looking-for-ideas-for-having-classes-at-retirement-homes-tp5685p5691.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h81@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Business Talk, <A href="wlmailhtml:{2AEC619E-E92A-4B3C-BDEC-E67BFBDDEF6B}mid://00000438/" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">click here.


If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: creativebitz@rochester.rr.com
If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Looking-for-ideas-for-having-classes-at-retirement-homes-tp5685p5693.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h14@.nabble
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.
Denise Foor Stampin’ Up! Manager & SU Independent Demo/Instructor Stampin' Up! Paper Crafting Classes, Clubs, Crops Shop SU online 24/7: http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/denisefoor My blog: http://www.denisefoor.blogspot.com/ My email: dfoor@embarqmail.com Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Bulk] SU!: Re: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes

Tanya Stottlemire
In reply to this post by Cyndi Foster

me too please

On Feb 8, 2014, at 11:31 AM, SUDSOL [Cyndi Foster] via Business Talk wrote:


I would be interested in this information too.
 
Sent from Windows Mail
 
From: SUDSOL [Kay Capps] via Business Talk
Sent: ‎Saturday‎, ‎February‎ ‎8‎, ‎2014 ‎8‎:‎19‎ ‎AM
To: SUDSOL Group
 

Hi- I am trying to gather information concerning having classes at
retirement homes.

How simple do the projects need to be?

Do you do most of the prep work?

How do you charge for the classes?

Do you get any interest in purchasing items?

Please contact me directly..

Thanks so much for your help.

Kay Capps
Kay Capps


If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: petking@vcn.com
If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Looking-for-ideas-for-having-classes-at-retirement-homes-tp5685.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h27@.nabble
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, <a title="" href="x-msg://34/" target="_parent" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.


If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: CyndiFstr@aol.com
If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Looking-for-ideas-for-having-classes-at-retirement-homes-tp5685p5688.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h2@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SU!: Re: Re: Re: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes

Phyllis Strickland
In reply to this post by Denise Foor

What a wonderful thing to do!  Very few retirement homes can offer a good variety of activities. I have often thought I would like to do this at my parent 's retirement home when I retire someday.  There are so many ladies looking for something to do and I have a lot of retired supplies to use up, too,  I'm glad to see that this would be workable and thanks for the great tips you posted

Phyllis Strickland
Stampin' Up! Supervisor
Goodville PA

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 8, 2014, at 1:57 PM, "SUDSOL [Denise Foor] via Business Talk" <ml-node+s1100894n5696h10@n5.nabble.com> wrote:


Dee--
 
I meet new people and folks talk....gives me new customers and orders.  But the real reason I do it is to give back to my community.  I get lots of appreciation and introduce a lot of women to Stampin’ Up!.  Most of the women have younger relatives that they refer to me, but even if they don’t I count it as a win because I come home feeling great!  They call me the “Card Lady”  and smile, call me by name and ask when I will be back....who could as for more......
 
Since volunteering is part of my nature, I would rather do it using Stampin’ Up! as a vehicle than other ways....so for me it is a perfect fit.  I can do what I love and still spread the SU word.  LOL  I even have a customer who is getting ready to retire who has volunteered to be my “helper” at these events next year.....who knows maybe she will sign up to be a Demo????  You never know where things lead.
 
 Denise
 
 
Denise Foor
Stampin' Up! Manager
Stampin' Up! Paper Crafting Classes, Clubs, Crops
Shop SU online 24/7
 
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes

zarazal
In reply to this post by Kay Capps
Hi Kay,
I do a Class quarterly at one Retirement home and monthly at a Senior Center. Keep it simple, everything already cut up and pre stamp depending on the seniors age and ability. I keep stuff fairly simple. I show how to do all the tool as well as the correct way to stamp in the ink pad. Generally-They do not buy from you.
I charge $2-3.00 each. I figure I am donating time while giving them some fun. Plus the smiles always make me feel good. Once in awhile you might get a worker who buys from you or shows interest in what you do. It is not a Business generator but Good Luck to you.
Laura Z.
Independent Stampin' Up!® Demo
Laura H. H. Zaraza
Lake Geneva, WI

Kay Capps wrote
Hi- I am trying to gather information concerning having classes at
retirement homes.

How simple do the projects need to be?

Do you do most of the prep work?

How do you charge for the classes?

Do you get any interest in purchasing items?

Please contact me directly..

Thanks so much for your help.

Kay Capps
Laura H. H. Zaraza
Independent Stampin' Up!® Demonstrator
Visit me at www.lauraZstamps.com
#262-374-0219
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SU!: Re: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes

lkiers

I also go to a retirement home to make cards with the residents.  The home pays me to come twice a month.  It's on their calendar. I prepare for 8 people but sometimes only 4 show up, sometimes 6 or 7.  I have a friend who comes with me to help out because some of the ladies need a lot of help.  I pre-do most of the embossing, die cutting and punching out because it is difficult for people with arthritis to do those things.  They basically stamp and put the card together.  They love it and look forward to it.  I repay my friend for helping me by giving her free shipping on her own orders since I get paid to do the  workshops and don't think it's fair if she gets nothing for helping me.  I love going to the retirement home - you get to know the people and it brings them much joy.  I even get a man to come and stamp every once in a while.  

Lena Kiers
Stampin'Up! Demonstrator in Ontario, Canada
"The Lord is my strength and salvation."






On 2014-02-09, at 8:39 AM, SUDSOL [zarazal] via Business Talk wrote:

Hi Kay,
I do a Class quarterly at one Retirement home and monthly at a Senior Center. Keep it simple, everything already cut up and pre stamp depending on the seniors age and ability. I keep stuff fairly simple. I show how to do all the tool as well as the correct way to stamp in the ink pad. Generally-They do not buy from you.
I charge $2-3.00 each. I figure I am donating time while giving them some fun. Plus the smiles always make me feel good. Once in awhile you might get a worker who buys from you or shows interest in what you do. It is not a Business generator but Good Luck to you.
Laura Z.
Independent Stampin' Up!® Demo
Laura H. H. Zaraza
Lake Geneva, WI

Kay Capps wrote
Hi- I am trying to gather information concerning having classes at
retirement homes.

How simple do the projects need to be?

Do you do most of the prep work?

How do you charge for the classes?

Do you get any interest in purchasing items?

Please contact me directly..

Thanks so much for your help.

Kay Capps
Laura H. H. Zaraza
Independent Stampin' Up!® Demonstrator
Visit me at www.lauraZstamps.com
#262-374-0219


If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: stampingoose@charter.net
If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Looking-for-ideas-for-having-classes-at-retirement-homes-tp5685p5729.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h11@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Business Talk, click here.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Re: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes

Lois Folla
In reply to this post by zarazal

Hi!

 

In 2010 I received a call from an Adult Community to do card classes weekly on Saturdays.  I told them I could not do them weekly but I could to them every other Saturday.  Since then I have been doing classes on the second and four Saturday of each month.  It’s easier for everyone to remember when I’m coming if you say that. I have other events on the first Saturday etc, so telling them I’ll always be there on the second and fourth works great for all of us. The time is from 10:00 – 12 noon.  Some days I get there 30 minutes early to have breakfast with them, as they love that when I do. I live about 30 minutes away.

 

They only want to do two cards.  And they want the class to be two hours… They wouldn’t budge on the starting price $8.00 but I told them after a year, it would go to $10.00 if they were happy with me.

 

So when it was time, I changed my price to $10 a class, making two cards, everything prepared, but I do bring my big shot every class and they use Framelits and embossing folders which they LOVE!

 

I am happy with that price, I’m connecting with wonderful seniors which make a difference in my life, as I make a difference in theirs. It’s a true blessing! I am getting paid for my expenses/gas and I feel I ‘volunteer’ my time… and that is fine! It’s not always about the money, not to me anyway!

 

They have been stamping for over 20+ years and do not purchase supplies any longer.  This group is very special to me. We go out to lunch after class and in the summer we just meet on a week day for lunch.

 

It’s like enjoying grandmothers J Since I don’t have family, besides my husband and two beagles,  this is wonderful for me too!

 

 

The cards have a bit of punch outs to them and lots of layering. I tell my office assistant, it’s ‘busy work’.. the ladies love putting things together and our Dimensionals!!!!! It doesn’t have to be difficult just a bunch of steps and they love sponging!  LOL

 

I pre-punch everything, but now that we have edgelits and Framelits, they can stamp and then frame their work. So it’s wonderful.

 

I just purchased the Embossing Machine SU! Put out for the second go around, so when they are only embossing I only need to carry that with me instead of the Big Shot.

 

The ladies just enjoy spending time together and creating… When I ‘interviewed’ met them back in 2010, I brought what I had made along with samples from conventions and swaps… and they were in love.

 

Nice thing about this class, I can use all my new supplies but my beloved retired stamp sets to play with since they don’t purchase!  But I know when the opportunity comes they are always sharing with their friends how much they should join their card class!  So word of mouth I do get more business….  

 

Good Luck and have fun!

 

Lois

 

Lois Folla, Stamin’ Up! Demonstrator/Manager

Email: Lois@StampinPress.com

Shop 24/7 At My Online Store: www.LoisFolla.StampinUp.net

Follow My Creative Blog: www. StampinPress.com

 

Address: 755 Hardean Rd, Brick, NJ 08724

Phone: 732.785.1558

 

From: SUDSOL [zarazal] via Business Talk [mailto:ml-node+s1100894n5729h15@.nabble]
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2014 8:39 AM
To: SUDSOL Group
Subject: SU!: Re: Looking for ideas for having classes at retirement homes

 

Hi Kay,
I do a Class quarterly at one Retirement home and monthly at a Senior Center. Keep it simple, everything already cut up and pre stamp depending on the seniors age and ability. I keep stuff fairly simple. I show how to do all the tool as well as the correct way to stamp in the ink pad. Generally-They do not buy from you.
I charge $2-3.00 each. I figure I am donating time while giving them some fun. Plus the smiles always make me feel good. Once in awhile you might get a worker who buys from you or shows interest in what you do. It is not a Business generator but Good Luck to you.
Laura Z.
Independent Stampin' Up!® Demo
Laura H. H. Zaraza
Lake Geneva, WI

Kay Capps wrote

Hi- I am trying to gather information concerning having classes at
retirement homes.

How simple do the projects need to be?

Do you do most of the prep work?

How do you charge for the classes?

Do you get any interest in purchasing items?

Please contact me directly..

Thanks so much for your help.

Kay Capps

Laura H. H. Zaraza
Independent Stampin' Up!® Demonstrator
Visit me at www.lauraZstamps.com
#262-374-0219

 


If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: stampingoose@charter.net

If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.sudsol.org/Looking-for-ideas-for-having-classes-at-retirement-homes-tp5685p5729.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h9@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.