classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Library

Holley Smith
Hello,
I have done workshops before at a library years ago. They let me charge for cost of supplies, but had a limit of $5 per person.  I was hoping to do that again and went to my local library to set it up.
They informed me that you can only do FREE classes, no charge, even for cost of supplies! I informed her that I've done this before and was able to charge $5 per person for cost of materials used. She said that a library is a non profit and that they cannot charge a fee, even for supply cost!
I didn't want to argue with her and she was implying that I was lying....which I'm not, lol.

Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone has ever done classes at a local library before and if you were able to charge for supplies? Is this a new thing, or did I get lucky before?  Where do you find new customers? Is there some other way to have a open public class (sign up/register ahead of time) and charge for materials? Somewhere that doesn't cost me money to use a room?
Thanks for any input you may have! ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Library

Beverly Derringer

I do classes at Hobby Lobby. The room is free. They advertise my classes on their web site. I also created a board for the front entrance showing cards with a handout they can take. Classes are the first and third Wednesday of every month. I do a morning (9:39 to noon) and 1:00 to 3:30).  They have to sign up and pay me by the Wednesday a week before class.  I am currently charging $15 for 4 cards. Starting in January I’m going to charge $15 for 3 cards. 

Sent from my iPhone
Beverly Derringer

On Aug 11, 2018, at 12:21 AM, SUDSOL [Holley Smith] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n43643h14@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

holleyjsmith@gmail.com?subject=Library
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: holleyjsmith@gmail.com

Hello,
I have done workshops before at a library years ago. They let me charge for cost of supplies, but had a limit of $5 per person.  I was hoping to do that again and went to my local library to set it up.
They informed me that you can only do FREE classes, no charge, even for cost of supplies! I informed her that I've done this before and was able to charge $5 per person for cost of materials used. She said that a library is a non profit and that they cannot charge a fee, even for supply cost!
I didn't want to argue with her and she was implying that I was lying....which I'm not, lol.

Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone has ever done classes at a local library before and if you were able to charge for supplies? Is this a new thing, or did I get lucky before?  Where do you find new customers? Is there some other way to have a open public class (sign up/register ahead of time) and charge for materials? Somewhere that doesn't cost me money to use a room?

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Holley Smith, please change the email address to: holleyjsmith@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Library-tp43643.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h74@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Business Talk, click here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Patrice Goldenburg

My library wouldn’t let me charge either!!!  Try a local Starbucks, that’s where I hold a monthly class.  Look for a Senior center, I use to hold classes here but then they wanted me to carry business liability insurance, and this was too expensive.

Good luck!

Patrice Goldenburg
patrice@goldenburg.com

On Aug 11, 2018, at 8:17 AM, SUDSOL [Beverly Derringer] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n43646h62@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

bevderringer@yahoo.com?subject=Re: SU!: Library
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: bevderringer@yahoo.com

I do classes at Hobby Lobby. The room is free. They advertise my classes on their web site. I also created a board for the front entrance showing cards with a handout they can take. Classes are the first and third Wednesday of every month. I do a morning (9:39 to noon) and 1:00 to 3:30).  They have to sign up and pay me by the Wednesday a week before class.  I am currently charging $15 for 4 cards. Starting in January I’m going to charge $15 for 3 cards. 

Sent from my iPhone
Beverly Derringer

On Aug 11, 2018, at 12:21 AM, SUDSOL [Holley Smith] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n43643h14@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: holleyjsmith@gmail.com

Hello,

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Holley Smith, please change the email address to: holleyjsmith@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Library-tp43643.html

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Beverly Derringer, please change the email address to: bevderringer@yahoo.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Library-tp43643p43646.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h29@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Blythe Klipple
In reply to this post by Holley Smith

One advantage of living in a small mountain community is that I AM able to use our little local library for classes and have since 2004.  I only charge for supplies plus a little extra:  $3 for two fairly simple cards.  I donate $1 to the library for each attendee and keep the $2 per participant for myself.  I’ve been doing this since 2004.  Around 8 years ago our library was ‘surplussed’ (aka dumped) by the county library system but my class just rolled right on into the new volunteer run library.  I have anywhere from 4-10 participants per month (3rd Thursday of the month), many of whom have been coming since 2004!  I don’t make money but I have gained a few loyal customers.  I think I’m just fortunate that the librarian supported me in 2004—it was actually her idea to try it out.  And now…….14 years later it’s still going strong.

~Blythe

On Aug 10, 2018, at 11:21 PM, SUDSOL [Holley Smith] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n43643h0@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

Hello,

To start a new topic under Business Talk, ml+s1100894n3h60@n7.nabble.com

Blythe Klipple, UPDATES/FAQ COORDINATOR

Reply | Threaded
|

joyce pacer
In reply to this post by Patrice Goldenburg

We can not charge either, but I still do the class for them.  It has been a good way to funnel in new customers.  The publicity that I receive is much cheaper than a newspaper ad and reaches those that are interested.  By the way, they do not object to me taking orders as long as money is not exchanged at the time of the class.  After class is fine.

Joyce

On August 11, 2018 at 9:21 AM "SUDSOL [Patrice Goldenburg] via Business Talk" <ml+s1100894n43647h71@.nabble> wrote:

pat.goldenburg@gmail.com?subject=Re: SU!: Library
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: pat.goldenburg@

My library wouldn’t let me charge either!!!  Try a local Starbucks, that’s where I hold a monthly class.  Look for a Senior center, I use to hold classes here but then they wanted me to carry business liability insurance, and this was too expensive.

Good luck!

Patrice Goldenburg
patrice@

On Aug 11, 2018, at 8:17 AM, SUDSOL [Beverly Derringer] via Business Talk < ml+s1100894n43646h62@.nabble > wrote:

bevderringer@?subject=Re: SU!: Library
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: bevderringer@

Sent from my iPhone
Beverly Derringer

On Aug 11, 2018, at 12:21 AM, SUDSOL [Holley Smith] via Business Talk < ml+s1100894n43643h14@n7.nabble.com > wrote:

Hello,

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Beverly Derringer, please change the email address to: bevderringer@
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Library-tp43643p43646.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h29@.nabble

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Patrice Goldenburg, please change the email address to: pat.goldenburg@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Library-tp43643p43647.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h7@.nabble
Joyce Pacer
Business Chat
Reply | Threaded
|

Holley Smith
In reply to this post by Patrice Goldenburg

>" I do classes at Hobby Lobby. The room is free. They advertise my classes on their web site. I also created a board for the front entrance showing cards with a handout they can take. Classes are the first and third Wednesday of every month. I do a morning (9:39 to noon) and 1:00 to 3:30).  They have to sign up and pay me by the Wednesday a week before class.  I am currently charging $15 for 4 cards. Starting in January I’m going to charge $15 for 3 cards.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> Beverly Derringer"

Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences. Seems like there's not a set standard......
Beverly Derringer, do you get to use Stampin' Up! products?

Years ago Michael's actually reached out to me, the lady found me through my DBWS. I took an online class for scrapbooking, I got a certification on scrapbooking and design theory. I interviewed and was hired. At the last moment I was informed that I couldn't use Stampin' Up! products, it had to be supplies and products that they carried in the store! I called Demo Support and they told me it went against their rules, it was a conflict of interest....course that was a very long time ago......

Just wondering if your experience is different or what the rules are? I would love to do classes at Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's or Michael's etc....

Thanks for any information!
Reply | Threaded
|

Beverly Derringer

I should also say I had no luck at Michaels or JoAnns here. They wanted me to use product from the store. 

Sent from my iPhone
Beverly Derringer

On Aug 11, 2018, at 12:21 PM, SUDSOL [Holley Smith] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n43651h62@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

holleyjsmith@gmail.com?subject=Re: SU!: Library

>" I do classes at Hobby Lobby. The room is free. They advertise my classes on their web site. I also created a board for the front entrance showing cards with a handout they can take. Classes are the first and third Wednesday of every month. I do a morning (9:39 to noon) and 1:00 to 3:30).  They have to sign up and pay me by the Wednesday a week before class.  I am currently charging $15 for 4 cards. Starting in January I’m going to charge $15 for 3 cards.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> Beverly Derringer"

Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences. Seems like there's not a set standard......
Beverly Derringer, do you get to use Stampin' Up! products?

Years ago Michael's actually reached out to me, the lady found me through my DBWS. I took an online class for scrapbooking, I got a certification on scrapbooking and design theory. I interviewed and was hired. At the last moment I was informed that I couldn't use Stampin' Up! products, it had to be supplies and products that they carried in the store! I called Demo Support and they told me it went against their rules, it was a conflict of interest....course that was a very long time ago......

Just wondering if your experience is different or what the rules are? I would love to do classes at Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's or Michael's etc....

Thanks for any information!

This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Library-tp43643p43651.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Holley Smith
OK, thanks! I will try my local Hobby Lobby and see what they say ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Library

Elaine Lampropolos
In reply to this post by Holley Smith

Hello,

I have been holding classes at one our local libraries for over seven years.  I hold one class two times a month and the ladies make from 2-3 cards and each participant pays $5.  I hold another class once a month and the ladies make from 3-4 cards and they pay $7.  I have never had a problem with the library about charging to cover the cost of my materials.  I believe this situation is the same with our other local libraries.

From: ml+s1100894n43643h18@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n43643h18@.nabble]
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2018 2:21 AM
To: SUDSOL Group
Subject: SU!: Library

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: holleyjsmith@

Hello,

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h78@.nabble

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Library

Marcy Walsh
Elaine Lampropolos wrote
Hello,

I have been holding classes at one our local libraries for over seven years.
I hold one class two times a month and the ladies make from 2-3 cards and
each participant pays $5.  I hold another class once a month and the ladies
make from 3-4 cards and they pay $7.  I have never had a problem with the
library about charging to cover the cost of my materials.  I believe this
situation is the same with our other local libraries.

[mailto:ml+s1100894n43643h18@.nabble]

Click here to reply directly to Holley Smith privately at
holleyjsmith@ <mailto:holleyjsmith@?subject=Library>  

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members,
unless you change the To: email address to the author:
holleyjsmith@

_____  

Hello,
I have done workshops before at a library years ago. They let me charge for
cost of supplies, but had a limit of $5 per person.  I was hoping to do that
again and went to my local library to set it up.
They informed me that you can only do FREE classes, no charge, even for cost
of supplies! I informed her that I've done this before and was able to
charge $5 per person for cost of materials used. She said that a library is
a non profit and that they cannot charge a fee, even for supply cost!
I didn't want to argue with her and she was implying that I was
lying....which I'm not, lol.

Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone has ever done classes at a local
library before and if you were able to charge for supplies? Is this a new
thing, or did I get lucky before?  Where do you find new customers? Is there
some other way to have a open public class (sign up/register ahead of time)
and charge for materials? Somewhere that doesn't cost me money to use a
room?

_____  

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Holley Smith, please change the email
address to: holleyjsmith@ 
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Library-tp43643.html 

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email
ml+s1100894n3h78@.nabble 
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here
<http://forum.sudsol.org/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubscribe_by_code&
node=1&code=c3RhbXBpbmVsYWluZUB3aW5kc3RyZWFtLm5ldHwxfDE1MzQwODExMDc=> .
I recently moved to a new town and was looking for a place to hold classes.  I haave taught three classes now at our senior center andwill be doin another in September.  They are a petty active center so it is hard to find a time they can accomodate me.  It was great but I fear I will be looking again.
Marcy Walsh
Marcy Walsh
Silver/Independent Demonstrator
Acworth, GA
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: SU!: Library

Denise Foor

Every locality is different.  Some public libraries in different counties/states will allow you to charge and others will not (even to cover supplies).  This has been my experience living in various states.  There may be other places you can use, like a local coffee shop, rec center, senior center, college or some such venue.  Our local coffee shop doesn’t charge for use of their room because most participants buy something but I’m sure that varies, too.

Denise

Denise Foor
Stampin’ Up! Manager, Creative Coach

24 hour store:  denisefoor.stampinup.net
Blog:          
denisefoor.blogspot.com

You Tube:   youtube.com/c/DeniseFoorStudioPA
Etsy Store:  
etsy.com/shop/denisefoor

Facebook:  facebook.com/denise.foorStudioPA

Pinterest:    pinterest.com/denise_foor/

Instagram:  instagram.com/denisefoorstudiopa

From: ml+s1100894n43667h98@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n43667h98@.nabble]
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2018 11:27 PM
To: SUDSOL Group <dfoorstudiopa@>
Subject: Re: SU!: Library

walsh.marcy21@gmail.com?subject=RE:%20Library

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: walsh.marcy21@gmail.com

Elaine Lampropolos wrote

Hello,

I have been holding classes at one our local libraries for over seven years.
I hold one class two times a month and the ladies make from 2-3 cards and
each participant pays $5.  I hold another class once a month and the ladies
make from 3-4 cards and they pay $7.  I have never had a problem with the
library about charging to cover the cost of my materials.  I believe this
situation is the same with our other local libraries.

[ml+s1100894n43643h18@.nabble]

Click here to reply directly to Holley Smith privately at
holleyjsmith@ <holleyjsmith@?subject=Library>  

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members,
unless you change the To: email address to the author:
holleyjsmith@

_____  

Hello,
I have done workshops before at a library years ago. They let me charge for
cost of supplies, but had a limit of $5 per person.  I was hoping to do that
again and went to my local library to set it up.
They informed me that you can only do FREE classes, no charge, even for cost
of supplies! I informed her that I've done this before and was able to
charge $5 per person for cost of materials used. She said that a library is
a non profit and that they cannot charge a fee, even for supply cost!
I didn't want to argue with her and she was implying that I was
lying....which I'm not, lol.

Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone has ever done classes at a local
library before and if you were able to charge for supplies? Is this a new
thing, or did I get lucky before?  Where do you find new customers? Is there
some other way to have a open public class (sign up/register ahead of time)
and charge for materials? Somewhere that doesn't cost me money to use a
room?

_____  

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Holley Smith, please change the email
address to: holleyjsmith@ 
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Library-tp43643.html 

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email
ml+s1100894n3h78@.nabble 
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here
< .

I recently moved to a new town and was looking for a place to hold classes.  I haave taught three classes now at our senior center andwill be doin another in September.  They are a petty active center so it is hard to find a time they can accomodate me.  It was great but I fear I will be looking again.
Marcy Walsh

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h14@n7.nabble.com

Denise Foor Stampin’ Up! Manager & SU Independent Demo/Instructor Stampin' Up! Paper Crafting Classes, Clubs, Crops Shop SU online 24/7: http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/denisefoor My blog: http://www.denisefoor.blogspot.com/ My email: dfoor@embarqmail.com Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!