How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

Phyllis Strickland
I’m not Sure which  Forum applies but thought I would try this one.  I’ve noticed that many stampers also are sewers.  I expect they would be glad to help with the current crisis because I’ve also noticed that stampers tend to be generous and help others, especially demonstrators.  So here is an excellent article from Forbes Which explains how we can help with our sewing skills. Making cards is awesome, too, but this is a concrete way to help if you can

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue/2020/03/20/calling-all-people-who-sew-and-make-you-can-help-solve-2020-n95-type-mask-shortage/

Phyllis strickland
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

Jeanne Moss

I applaud all crafters for wanting to help!  Just be sure you have someplace to take these before you go to all the work.  I’ve heard of many places that can’t use homemade masks.  I’m not saying don’t make them, just be sure you know what you’re going to do with them.

Jeanne Moss

On Mar 22, 2020, at 4:56 PM, SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n52169h80@.nabble> wrote:

pstrickland@me.com?subject=How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: pstrickland@

I’m not Sure which  Forum applies but thought I would try this one.  I’ve noticed that many stampers also are sewers.  I expect they would be glad to help with the current crisis because I’ve also noticed that stampers tend to be generous and help others, especially demonstrators.  So here is an excellent article from Forbes Which explains how we can help with our sewing skills. Making cards is awesome, too, but this is a concrete way to help if you can

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue/2020/03/20/calling-all-people-who-sew-and-make-you-can-help-solve-2020-n95-type-mask-shortage/

Phyllis strickland

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Phyllis Strickland, please change the email address to: pstrickland@me.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h34@.nabble
To unsubscribe from Business Talk, click here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Phyllis Strickland

Thanks, that’s excellent advice.  I should have said the article has resources to find places that are asking for them so be sure to check that out.  There is a organization which is coordinating that.

Phyllis

On Mar 22, 2020, at 5:41 PM, SUDSOL [Jeanne Moss] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n52170h4@.nabble> wrote:

stampingal@live.com?subject=Re: SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: stampingal@

I applaud all crafters for wanting to help!  Just be sure you have someplace to take these before you go to all the work.  I’ve heard of many places that can’t use homemade masks.  I’m not saying don’t make them, just be sure you know what you’re going to do with them.

Jeanne Moss

On Mar 22, 2020, at 4:56 PM, SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n52169h80@.nabble> wrote:

pstrickland@me.com?subject=How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: pstrickland@

Phyllis strickland

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Phyllis Strickland, please change the email address to: pstrickland@me.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169.html

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Jeanne Moss, please change the email address to: stampingal@live.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169p52170.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h27@.nabble
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

donnab07

I just read a post from a nurse who said the cloth masks that people are making from a pattern do not protect people from spreading  or catching the virus.  People should look into this before going to all the work to make them.

Donna

From: ml+s1100894n52171h43@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n52171h43@.nabble]
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2020 2:59 PM
To: SUDSOL Group <donna@>
Subject: Re: SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

pstrickland@me.com?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20How%20we%20can%20use%20our%20sewing%20skills%20to%20help%20in%20this%20crisis

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: pstrickland@me.com

Thanks, that’s excellent advice.  I should have said the article has resources to find places that are asking for them so be sure to check that out.  There is a organization which is coordinating that.

Phyllis

On Mar 22, 2020, at 5:41 PM, SUDSOL [Jeanne Moss] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n52170h4@.nabble> wrote:

stampingal@live.com?subject=Re: SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: stampingal@

Jeanne Moss

Phyllis strickland

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Jeanne Moss, please change the email address to: stampingal@live.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169p52170.html

This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169p52171.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h35@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.

Reply | Threaded
|

Phyllis Strickland

This article is from Forbes a leading business.  They wrote it because hospitals are asking for help.  They tell you who needs them.. Sorry  I should have copied and pasted the article I was just trying not to clog mailboxes.

This is how they use them:
If you think that a handmade mask cannot be used, think again. Even the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has a place for them — in times of crisis, like the one we are in right now. On the CDC page: Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of Facemasks, they explain that as a last resort, a homemade mask is acceptable. Frankly, we are at that stage right now. Here’s how they explain it in the Crisis Strategy section, 

I aplogize for posting this.  I won’t do anything like that again

Phyllis Strickland

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 22, 2020, at 6:09 PM, SUDSOL [donnab07] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n52172h66@.nabble> wrote:

donna@idahobagwells.net?subject=RE: SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: donna@

I just read a post from a nurse who said the cloth masks that people are making from a pattern do not protect people from spreading or catching the virus. People should look into this before going to all the work to make them.

Donna

pstrickland@me.com?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20How%20we%20can%20use%20our%20sewing%20skills%20to%20help%20in%20this%20crisis

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: pstrickland@me.com

Phyllis

Jeanne Moss

Phyllis strickland

This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169p52171.html

If you want the reply to go ONLY to donnab07, please change the email address to: donna@idahobagwells.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169p52172.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Cathy Hansen

Phyllis, please don’t be sorry for posting this.  In these times everyone is trying to do what they can to help.

I did a quick search and found several organizations online who are asking for these masks.  They are saying they can be washed and reused — a definite advantage when there’s a shortage of disposable masks.

Thanks for being thoughtful.

Cathy Hansen 

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 22, 2020, at 4:22 PM, SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n52173h66@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

pstrickland@me.com?subject=Re: SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

This article is from Forbes a leading business.  They wrote it because hospitals are asking for help.  They tell you who needs them.. Sorry  I should have copied and pasted the article I was just trying not to clog mailboxes.

If you think that a handmade mask cannot be used, think again. Even the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has a place for them — in times of crisis, like the one we are in right now. On the CDC page: Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of Facemasks, they explain that as a last resort, a homemade mask is acceptable. Frankly, we are at that stage right now. Here’s how they explain it in the Crisis Strategy section, 

Phyllis Strickland

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 22, 2020, at 6:09 PM, SUDSOL [donnab07] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n52172h66@.nabble> wrote:

donna@idahobagwells.net?subject=RE: SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: donna@

I just read a post from a nurse who said the cloth masks that people are making from a pattern do not protect people from spreading or catching the virus. People should look into this before going to all the work to make them.

Donna

Phyllis

Jeanne Moss

Phyllis strickland

If you want the reply to go ONLY to donnab07, please change the email address to: donna@idahobagwells.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169p52172.html

This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169p52173.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h96@n7.nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Maria Pobre

I have read that the medical areas who are asking for these are not using them for themselves, but for patients who may have colds and fever. It frees up the medical masks for those who need them the most.

Happy Stampin’~

Maria Pobre
Guam, USA

On Mar 23, 2020, at 8:38 AM, SUDSOL [Cathy Hansen] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n52174h26@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

cihansen04@hotmail.com?subject=Re: SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: cihansen04@hotmail.com

Phyllis, please don’t be sorry for posting this.  In these times everyone is trying to do what they can to help.

I did a quick search and found several organizations online who are asking for these masks.  They are saying they can be washed and reused — a definite advantage when there’s a shortage of disposable masks.

Cathy Hansen 

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 22, 2020, at 4:22 PM, SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n52173h66@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

pstrickland@me.com?subject=Re: SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

Phyllis Strickland

Sent from my iPad

Donna

Phyllis

Jeanne Moss

Phyllis strickland

This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169p52173.html

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Cathy Hansen, please change the email address to: cihansen04@hotmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169p52174.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h25@n7.nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
|

grantj
In reply to this post by Jeanne Moss

It’s also my understanding that these masks free up the ones needed to protect from the virus. As in maternity wards or pediatrics, dialysis centers, etc.

Jan Grant
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 22, 2020, at 4:41 PM, SUDSOL [Jeanne Moss] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n52170h69@.nabble> wrote:

Jeanne Moss

Phyllis strickland

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h92@.nabble
Reply | Threaded
|

donnab07
In reply to this post by Cathy Hansen

Ditto!

Donna

From: ml+s1100894n52174h36@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n52174h36@.nabble]
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2020 3:38 PM

cihansen04@hotmail.com?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20%20How%20we%20can%20use%20our%20sewing%20skills%20to%20help%20in%20this%20crisis

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: cihansen04@hotmail.com

Cathy Hansen 

Sent from my iPad

Phyllis Strickland

Sent from my iPad

Donna

From: ml+s1100894n52171h43@.nabble [ml+s1100894n52171h43@.nabble]

Phyllis

Jeanne Moss

Phyllis strickland

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Cathy Hansen, please change the email address to: cihansen04@hotmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169p52174.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Diane Clark
In reply to this post by Phyllis Strickland

You don't have to apologize to me for an attempt to benefit all of mankind!  Most of us are homebound and have more discretionary time than ever before...Bless YOU, Phyllis.  diane clark

-----Original Message-----
From: SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n52173h68@.nabble>
To: SUDSOL Group <dianecl6@>
Sent: Sun, Mar 22, 2020 6:22 pm

pstrickland@me.com?subject=Re:%20%20SU!:%20How%20we%20can%20use%20our%20sewing%20skills%20to%20help%20in%20this%20crisis

Phyllis Strickland

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 22, 2020, at 6:09 PM, SUDSOL [donnab07] via Business Talk < ml+s1100894n52172h66@.nabble > wrote:

donna@?subject=RE: SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

Donna
From: ml+s1100894n52171h43@.nabble [mailto: ml+s1100894n52171h43@.nabble ]
To: SUDSOL Group < donna@ >

pstrickland@?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20How%20we%20can%20use%20our%20sewing%20skills%20to%20help%20in%20this%20crisis

Phyllis

On Mar 22, 2020, at 5:41 PM, SUDSOL [Jeanne Moss] via Business Talk < ml+s1100894n52170h4@.nabble > wrote:

stampingal@?subject=Re : SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

Jeanne Moss

On Mar 22, 2020, at 4:56 PM, SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Business Talk < ml+s1100894n52169h80@.nabble > wrote:

pstrickland@?subject=How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

Phyllis strickland

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Phyllis Strickland, please change the email address to: pstrickland@

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Jeanne Moss, please change the email address to: stampingal@

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Phyllis Strickland, please change the email address to: pstrickland@
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h35@.nabble

If you want the reply to go ONLY to donnab07, please change the email address to: donna@

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h98@.nabble
Reply | Threaded
|

Kathleen Brandt

Phyllis, you did the right thing. I'm a retired nurse(or and gi) and I am making them. Thank you for sharing

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020, 5:12 AM SUDSOL [Diane Clark] via Business Talk <ml%2Bs1100894n52185h13@n7.nabble.com> wrote:
dianecl6@aol.com?subject=Re:+SU!:++How+we+can+use+our+sewing+skills+to+help+in+this+crisis
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: dianecl6@aol.com

You don't have to apologize to me for an attempt to benefit all of mankind!  Most of us are homebound and have more discretionary time than ever before...Bless YOU, Phyllis.  diane clark

-----Original Message-----
From: SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n52173h68@.nabble>
To: SUDSOL Group <dianecl6@>
Sent: Sun, Mar 22, 2020 6:22 pm

pstrickland@...?subject=Re:%20%20SU!:%20How%20we%20can%20use%20our%20sewing%20skills%20to%20help%20in%20this%20crisis

This article is from Forbes a leading business.  They wrote it because hospitals are asking for help.  They tell you who needs them.. Sorry  I should have copied and pasted the article I was just trying not to clog mailboxes.

I aplogize for posting this.  I won’t do anything like that again

Phyllis Strickland

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 22, 2020, at 6:09 PM, SUDSOL [donnab07] via Business Talk < ml+s1100894n52172h66@.nabble > wrote:

donna@?subject=RE: SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

Donna
From: ml+s1100894n52171h43@.nabble [mailto: ml+s1100894n52171h43@.nabble ]
To: SUDSOL Group < donna@ >

pstrickland@?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20How%20we%20can%20use%20our%20sewing%20skills%20to%20help%20in%20this%20crisis

Thanks, that’s excellent advice.  I should have said the article has resources to find places that are asking for them so be sure to check that out.  There is a organization which is coordinating that.
Phyllis

On Mar 22, 2020, at 5:41 PM, SUDSOL [Jeanne Moss] via Business Talk < ml+s1100894n52170h4@.nabble > wrote:

stampingal@?subject=Re : SU!: How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

I applaud all crafters for wanting to help!  Just be sure you have someplace to take these before you go to all the work.  I’ve heard of many places that can’t use homemade masks.  I’m not saying don’t make them, just be sure you know what you’re going to do with them.
Jeanne Moss

On Mar 22, 2020, at 4:56 PM, SUDSOL [Phyllis Strickland] via Business Talk < ml+s1100894n52169h80@.nabble > wrote:

pstrickland@?subject=How we can use our sewing skills to help in this crisis

I’m not Sure which  Forum applies but thought I would try this one.  I’ve noticed that many stampers also are sewers.  I expect they would be glad to help with the current crisis because I’ve also noticed that stampers tend to be generous and help others, especially demonstrators.  So here is an excellent article from Forbes Which explains how we can help with our sewing skills. Making cards is awesome, too, but this is a concrete way to help if you can

Phyllis strickland

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Jeanne Moss, please change the email address to: stampingal@

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h35@.nabble

If you want the reply to go ONLY to donnab07, please change the email address to: donna@

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h98@.nabble

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Diane Clark, please change the email address to: dianecl6@aol.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169p52185.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml%2Bs1100894n3h71@n7.nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Charlotte Lindmeier
In reply to this post by Jeanne Moss

Yes, this is true.  I am making masks for a hospital but some hospitals won't use them.  I called my sisters that work at the Mayo Clinic and they can't use them.  So I make them for a hospital where the nurses started to make them for their own hospital.  Check with the hospitals because they have patterns out there for what they want.  Also make sure you can get the elastic you need.  I'm at a stand still right now because I don't have anymore elastic.  Can't find the right kind in stock.
Charlotte Lindmeier
Question of the Week
Reply | Threaded
|

Lois Folla

I saw on the News today,  Washington State, they are asking for folks to make them.

Initially, a company was sending out materials to use, but it got so popular they couldn’t afford it. You may want to find out precisely what they will use before you start making them.

From: ml+s1100894n52193h99@.nabble <ml+s1100894n52193h99@.nabble>
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2020 7:21 PM
To: SUDSOL Group <lois@>

clindmeier@windstream.net?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20How%20we%20can%20use%20our%20sewing%20skills%20to%20help%20in%20this%20crisis

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: clindmeier@windstream.net

Yes, this is true.  I am making masks for a hospital but some hospitals won't use them.  I called my sisters that work at the Mayo Clinic and they can't use them.  So I make them for a hospital where the nurses started to make them for their own hospital.  Check with the hospitals because they have patterns out there for what they want.  Also make sure you can get the elastic you need.  I'm at a stand still right now because I don't have anymore elastic.  Can't find the right kind in stock.

Charlotte Lindmeier
Question of the Week

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Charlotte Lindmeier, please change the email address to: clindmeier@windstream.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/How-we-can-use-our-sewing-skills-to-help-in-this-crisis-tp52169p52193.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h9@n7.nabble.com