Holding Classes - How Much Leeway

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Holding Classes - How Much Leeway

Jeanne Walsh
Hi everyone.  Looking for some feedback.

I hold a monthly card class where my customers make three cards.  I try to make at least two of the cards as versatile as possible, i.e., a Congratulations card could become a Happy Birthday card with just a change of the greeting or sentiment.  However, there are times that I would prefer not to change the versatility of the card and have them make it exactly as I designed it.  

It's hard to say no when I have the complete stamp set at class as well as a few general stamps from Paper Pumpkin kits that they could use.

Accommodating them has not brought me any large and/or repeated sales but they do return to my class every month.

Thoughts?
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Holding Classes - How Much Leeway

Coleen Astalos

First, I'm assuming that  you're being paid for this card class and that it's bringing  you joy to do it.  If not, then that's the place to look at making changes - I know if you're feeling down on not making enough there, then other things like accommodating requests can be the straw that breaks the camels' back.

Second, if it's easy enough to accommodate - letting them use other stamps from the same set, then by all means do it.   But if it's not easy, for example,  you're having to locate stamps that fit in the same size layer, etc.  Then just state, "You're welcome to make changes based on what I've got on the table".  This allows them to make changes (some people just don't like to do things exactly like someone else) without inconveniencing you.

I feel it's better to let them make minor changes (without causing you any additional work) and to have them enjoy their time at the class, than being rigid and potentially losing them for the class.

My two cents!

Coleen

Coleen Astalos, Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alamosa, CO, coleen@sudsol.com
See my website at http://alamosa.stampinup.net
Are you a demonstrator? Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!

From: ml+s1100894n37439h54@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n37439h54@.nabble]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:20 PM
To: SUDSOL Group
Subject: SU!: Holding Classes - How Much Leeway

createwithjeanne@gmail.com?subject=Holding%20Classes%20-%20How%20Much%20Leeway

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: createwithjeanne@gmail.com

I hold a monthly card class where my customers make three cards.  I try to make at least two of the cards as versatile as possible, i.e., a Congratulations card could become a Happy Birthday card with just a change of the greeting or sentiment.  However, there are times that I would prefer not to change the versatility of the card and have them make it exactly as I designed it.  

It's hard to say no when I have the complete stamp set at class as well as a few general stamps from Paper Pumpkin kits that they could use.

Accommodating them has not brought me any large and/or repeated sales but they do return to my class every month.

Thoughts?

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Jeanne Walsh, please change the email address to: createwithjeanne@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Holding-Classes-How-Much-Leeway-tp37439.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h38@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Business Talk, click here.

Coleen Astalos
SLB Member

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Holding Classes - How Much Leeway

Beverly Derringer
In reply to this post by Jeanne Walsh

I do 4 classes a month on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday's of the month. One from 9:30-noon and 1:00-3:30 pm. 

I charge $15.00 for 4 cards. I only allow up to 10 people in each of the classes. Morning class is always full. Afternoon class varies from 2 to 10 people. 

One card will be a new technique or fold and the other 3 cards are now as involved. 

All of the attendees must have some experience in card making. I ask them to bring with them liquid glue, double sided adhesive, glue dots, scissors, and a bone folder. 

If I get interest from someone who is new to stamping, I can schedule a special class on a different day for beginners. 

I have had a good success with orders from these attendees drawing anywhere from $500 to $2,500 in a quarterly sales. 

I had someone from the class sign up under me  At this point she is doing as a hobby 

Would be happy to share more information on how I instruct these classes if you are interested. 

Advertising is important 

Sent from my iPhone
Beverly Derringer

On Jul 25, 2017, at 3:19 PM, SUDSOL [Jeanne Walsh] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n37439h90@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

createwithjeanne@gmail.com?subject=Holding Classes - How Much Leeway
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: createwithjeanne@gmail.com

Thoughts?

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Jeanne Walsh, please change the email address to: createwithjeanne@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Holding-Classes-How-Much-Leeway-tp37439.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h74@n7.nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: SU!: Holding Classes - How Much Leeway

Coleen Astalos

Beverly,

I'd be interested in hearing what Advertising you do for your classes.

Coleen

From: ml+s1100894n37441h16@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n37441h16@.nabble]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: SU!: Holding Classes - How Much Leeway

bevderringer@yahoo.com?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20Holding%20Classes%20-%20How%20Much%20Leeway

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: bevderringer@yahoo.com

I do 4 classes a month on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday's of the month. One from 9:30-noon and 1:00-3:30 pm. 

I charge $15.00 for 4 cards. I only allow up to 10 people in each of the classes. Morning class is always full. Afternoon class varies from 2 to 10 people. 

One card will be a new technique or fold and the other 3 cards are now as involved. 

All of the attendees must have some experience in card making. I ask them to bring with them liquid glue, double sided adhesive, glue dots, scissors, and a bone folder. 

If I get interest from someone who is new to stamping, I can schedule a special class on a different day for beginners. 

I have had a good success with orders from these attendees drawing anywhere from $500 to $2,500 in a quarterly sales. 

I had someone from the class sign up under me  At this point she is doing as a hobby 

Would be happy to share more information on how I instruct these classes if you are interested. 

Advertising is important 

Sent from my iPhone

Beverly Derringer

On Jul 25, 2017, at 3:19 PM, SUDSOL [Jeanne Walsh] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n37439h90@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

createwithjeanne@gmail.com?subject=Holding Classes - How Much Leeway

Thoughts?

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h74@n7.nabble.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Beverly Derringer, please change the email address to: bevderringer@yahoo.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Holding-Classes-How-Much-Leeway-tp37439p37441.html

Coleen Astalos
SLB Member

Reply | Threaded
|

Nola Burkhard
In reply to this post by Coleen Astalos

I agree with this point too:e, "You're welcome to make changes based on what I've got on the table".  This allows them to make changes (some people just don't like to do things exactly like someone else) without inconveniencing you.

I always say: you are welcome to change up the projects to fit your needs or wants. Just pick from whatever is on the table.

There have been times I've gone digging for a certain stamp, but not often.

Best of luck, Nola

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 25, 2017, at 3:41 PM, SUDSOL [Coleen Astalos] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n37440h16@.nabble> wrote:
>
> e, "You're welcome to make changes based on what I've got on the table".  This allows them to make changes (some people just don't like to do things exactly like someone else) without inconveniencing you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Hnatiuk

Yes, that would be great -- I think we all could benefit too!

Chris Hnatiuk

From: "SUDSOL [Coleen Astalos] via Business Talk" <ml+s1100894n37442h46@.nabble>
To: "chriserendipity" <chriserendipity@>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:44:19 PM

coleen@sudsol.com?subject=RE: SU!: Holding Classes - How Much Leeway
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: coleen@

Beverly,

I'd be interested in hearing what Advertising you do for your classes.

Coleen

Alamosa, CO, coleen@

From: ml+s1100894n37441h16@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n37441h16@.nabble]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:25 PM

bevderringer@?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20Holding%20Classes%20-%20How%20Much%20Leeway

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: bevderringer@

Advertising is important 

Sent from my iPhone

Beverly Derringer

On Jul 25, 2017, at 3:19 PM, SUDSOL [Jeanne Walsh] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n37439h90@.nabble> wrote:

createwithjeanne@?subject=Holding Classes - How Much Leeway

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: createwithjeanne@

Thoughts?

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Jeanne Walsh, please change the email address to: createwithjeanne@

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h74@.nabble

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Beverly Derringer, please change the email address to: bevderringer@
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Holding-Classes-How-Much-Leeway-tp37439p37441.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h38@.nabble

Coleen Astalos
SLB Member

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Coleen Astalos, please change the email address to: coleen@sudsol.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Holding-Classes-How-Much-Leeway-tp37439p37442.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h37@.nabble

Reply | Threaded
|

Maria Pobre

Love this line:  "You're welcome to make changes based on what I've got on the table".

Happy Stampin'~

Maria Pobre (on Guam)
Your Stampin' Up! Demonstrator!

Blog:  http://www.stampingwithmia.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/stampingwithmia

> On Jul 26, 2017, at 8:41 AM, SUDSOL [Coleen Astalos] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n37440h72@.nabble> wrote:
>
> state, "You're welcome to make changes based on what I've got on the table".  This allows them to make changes (some people just don't like to do things exactly like someone else) without inconveniencing you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Barbara Felece

I feel that since you spent the time to design a card that they should make the card you designed for them. If it's just a matter of using a different sentiment in the stamp set or another stamp set you have handy then let them make that choice but I would not tell them they have the option to change the card. I think that could result in you losing control of the class( which is also time).
My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 25, 2017, at 6:41 PM, SUDSOL [Coleen Astalos] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n37440h44@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

coleen@sudsol.com?subject=RE: Holding Classes - How Much Leeway
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: coleen@sudsol.com

First, I'm assuming that  you're being paid for this card class and that it's bringing  you joy to do it.  If not, then that's the place to look at making changes - I know if you're feeling down on not making enough there, then other things like accommodating requests can be the straw that breaks the camels' back.

Second, if it's easy enough to accommodate - letting them use other stamps from the same set, then by all means do it.   But if it's not easy, for example,  you're having to locate stamps that fit in the same size layer, etc.  Then just state, "You're welcome to make changes based on what I've got on the table".  This allows them to make changes (some people just don't like to do things exactly like someone else) without inconveniencing you.

I feel it's better to let them make minor changes (without causing you any additional work) and to have them enjoy their time at the class, than being rigid and potentially losing them for the class.

My two cents!

Coleen

From: ml+s1100894n37439h54@.nabble [mailto:ml+s1100894n37439h54@.nabble]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:20 PM
Subject: SU!: Holding Classes - How Much Leeway

createwithjeanne@gmail.com?subject=Holding%20Classes%20-%20How%20Much%20Leeway

Thoughts?

Coleen Astalos
SLB Member

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Coleen Astalos, please change the email address to: coleen@sudsol.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Holding-Classes-How-Much-Leeway-tp37439p37440.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h97@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Robin Messenheimer

If I'm teaching a technique or a special fold, I give specific instructions and expect them to follow my steps to learn the technique/fold, etc. But I also want them to go home with something they'll like and use. Whenever possible, I give them sentiment options. For example, I'll use Terny Tiny Wishes and let them use whatever fits the area I've chosen. But with sets that have special sentiments or sets of sentiments, that's what they get to use. Example, the Lemon bundle. I make sure they get to be creative, but also get to be successful in making something they're pleased to show off.

Sent from my iPad

Thoughts?

Robin Messenheimer Hilo, Hawaii https://robinscraftroom.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Talbot

I keep Teeny Tiny Wishes on hand, and tell them they can sub anything with it. It has been working so far and I have sold some of those sets.
Chris Talbot

On Jul 25, 2017 3:19 PM, "SUDSOL [Jeanne Walsh] via Business Talk" <ml%2Bs1100894n37439h8@n7.nabble.com> wrote:
createwithjeanne@gmail.com?subject=Holding+Classes+-+How+Much+Leeway

Hi everyone.  Looking for some feedback.

I hold a monthly card class where my customers make three cards.  I try to make at least two of the cards as versatile as possible, i.e., a Congratulations card could become a Happy Birthday card with just a change of the greeting or sentiment.  However, there are times that I would prefer not to change the versatility of the card and have them make it exactly as I designed it.  

Thoughts?

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml%2Bs1100894n3h92@n7.nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Maria Pobre
In reply to this post by Robin Messenheimer

I have a couple of class attendees who often add their sentiment once they get home so the project is more fitting to their needs.

Happy Stampin'~

Maria Pobre (on Guam)
Your Stampin' Up! Demonstrator!

On Jul 26, 2017, at 11:52 AM, SUDSOL [Robin Messenheimer] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n37450h82@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

rmessenheimer@earthlink.net?subject=Re: SU!: Holding Classes - How Much Leeway
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: rmessenheimer@earthlink.net

If I'm teaching a technique or a special fold, I give specific instructions and expect them to follow my steps to learn the technique/fold, etc. But I also want them to go home with something they'll like and use. Whenever possible, I give them sentiment options. For example, I'll use Terny Tiny Wishes and let them use whatever fits the area I've chosen. But with sets that have special sentiments or sets of sentiments, that's what they get to use. Example, the Lemon bundle. I make sure they get to be creative, but also get to be successful in making something they're pleased to show off.

Sent from my iPad

Thoughts?

Robin Messenheimer Pahoa, Hawaii http://robinscraftroom.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Robin Messenheimer, please change the email address to: rmessenheimer@earthlink.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Holding-Classes-How-Much-Leeway-tp37439p37450.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h25@n7.nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Holding Classes - How Much Leeway

Deborah Laffitte
<quote author="Jeanne Walsh">

Thoughts?

I too hold monthly classes. I always give you class members to opportunity to change the sentiment if they need something other than my intend purpose. I will bring other sentiments that will fit into the space I have designed. I don't feel that I am loosing control, and it keeps them coming back because they are not getting frustrated because they may need a birthday card when I have designed a sympathy card for example.
Jeanne Walsh wrote

Thoughts?
Reply | Threaded
|

Hauptl
In reply to this post by Chris Talbot

I give the gals the tools and let them do their thing.   And yes they sometimes they take them home for the sentiment. 

Linda Haupt 
Stampin' Up Demonstrator 
1 605 209 8849

On Jul 25, 2017, at 8:42 PM, SUDSOL [Chris Talbot] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n37452h62@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

chrisndean88@gmail.com?subject=Re: SU!: Holding Classes - How Much Leeway
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: chrisndean88@gmail.com

I keep Teeny Tiny Wishes on hand, and tell them they can sub anything with it. It has been working so far and I have sold some of those sets.
Chris Talbot

On Jul 25, 2017 3:19 PM, "SUDSOL [Jeanne Walsh] via Business Talk" <ml%2Bs1100894n37439h8@n7.nabble.com> wrote:
createwithjeanne@gmail.com?subject=Holding+Classes+-+How+Much+Leeway

Hi everyone. Looking for some feedback.

I hold a monthly card class where my customers make three cards. I try to make at least two of the cards as versatile as possible, i.e., a Congratulations card could become a Happy Birthday card with just a change of the greeting or sentiment. However, there are times that I would prefer not to change the versatility of the card and have them make it exactly as I designed it.

Thoughts?

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml%2Bs1100894n3h92@n7.nabble.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Chris Talbot, please change the email address to: chrisndean88@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Holding-Classes-How-Much-Leeway-tp37439p37452.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h43@n7.nabble.com