HANDOUT SHEETS FOR NEW STAMPERS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

HANDOUT SHEETS FOR NEW STAMPERS

Shel Anderson
Does anyone have any hand out sheets they would be willing to share that they give out to new stampers.

Anything you are willing to share would be MUCH APPRECIATED!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: HANDOUT SHEETS FOR NEW STAMPERS

lindseyj

good question...please share responses!
Jan Lindsey

On Friday, September 23, 2016, SUDSOL [Shel Anderson] via Business Talk <ml-node%2Bs1100894n32143h61@n7.nabble.com> wrote:
<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;shel@shelscreativecorner.com?subject%5Cx3dHANDOUT%2BSHEETS%2BFOR%2BNEW%2BSTAMPERS&#39;);" target="_blank">Click here to reply directly to Shel Anderson privately at shel@...
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;shel@shelscreativecorner.com&#39;);" target="_blank">shel@...

Does anyone have any hand out sheets they would be willing to share that they give out to new stampers.

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Shel Anderson, please change the email address to: <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;shel@shelscreativecorner.com&#39;);" target="_blank">shel@...
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/HANDOUT-SHEETS-FOR-NEW-STAMPERS-tp32143.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;ml-node%2Bs1100894n3h21@n7.nabble.com&#39;);" target="_blank">ml-node+s1100894n3h21@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.

--
Jan Lindsey, independent Stampin' Up! representative

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: HANDOUT SHEETS FOR NEW STAMPERS

Patti Scanlan
Administrator
In reply to this post by Shel Anderson
On the old website we had/have some beginner stamper files that haven't been moved because they need updated.  I wanted to do them - but just haven't found the time.

If anyone would be interested in taking a file or two and updating them - let me know!  

And.... from back in 2005 :)  Here is a thread from our old Tricks of the Trade program :)

Our TOT discussion this time is New Stampers.  As demonstrators we see them every time we have a workshop. What do you suggest when their eyes glaze over and they thumb through the catalog over and over? Do you offer kits? I want the customers to understand how easy stamping is for the creatively challenged and to also understand the artistic possibilities.

Carolyn Koehn

Burns, Ks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a flyer on my "Quick Start Set" and have it in every folder.  It offers a 14.95 set, 1 ink pad, 2 ink spots, 2 markers, nat. CS, colored CS, etc.  If that doesn't grab them, I always show Flashy Florals with 2 ink pads, stamping off once to get a lighter shade for the bottom part of the flower and leaf. People love that it's so simple, and that there is no coloring in or detailing to do.  When I show this set I tell them that if they buy it and can't make a decent card with it I will buy it back from them! Haven't had to buy back one yet!

Stamp Till You Cramp,
Janice Korthuis

These are the people that Make N Takes are designed for...they learn that they CAN do this.

Usually it is an issue of they can't make up their minds where to start cuz they like so many different things, and can't afford everything. I ask them what they would want to with the stamps, what is the first thing they would likely stamp something for...and then the next thing...

Then I make a suggestion based on their response.

My last Newbie was pregnant and wanted to see some stuff for baby announcements. I showed her the catalog and portfolio... she loved the Just a line set and chose that to get started. I suggested she hold a demonstration so she could earn free stamps to get her collection going and she is going to! Cool!

Hope this is useful to someone.

Blessings, Kim Bourdeau

I do offer kits, which are helpful for new stampers.  But I think the most important thing to remember is to show simple techniques. I always try to show a monochromatic card. Then they only need to buy white paper, one colored paper and one inkpad and of course their stamp set.  Most of the time this still adds up to a $30 sale.  Explain that once they learn some of the basics that they can add more advanced techniques and products to what they already have. Many customers can be intimidated by our large catalog, I know I was to begin with, it was a huge decision to decide what to buy FIRST. Ask them what they plan on doing with their stamps and lead them in the right direction. If they are doing scrapbooking, find them DD or bold sets. If like easy, monochromatic or two step. Now is a good time to push the games sets and kids inkpads for summer activities, especially for grandparents. I really think going over your customer's order with them if you have time will save you both in the long run. We want our customers to buy products they will use and keep coming back for more. If they buy them and they sit in a closet they won't be a returning customer. Sorry for the book, I really got into this topic. I really think there is a lot we can do to get and keep newbies interested. Thanks for reading

Linda Ireland
Rigby, ID

I start of every workshop with a simple, monochromatic card. I like people to see that you don't have to be an artist.. to stamp.... and that every stamp set has possibility..even using just one stamp pad. This always catches the new stampers eye... because it has that "I can do that" factor!  I also offer kits... my beginning kit has a $14.95 stamp set of their choice, 1 pad, 2 markers, glitter, glue pen, and glossy cards w/envelopes. I sell at LEAST one at every workshop. Sometimes... to people who have ordered before! I give free shipping when you order a "kit" ... so many of my repeat customers purchase them too!

Patti Scanlan

Carolyn-

I think I is important to do some hands-on. This gets all the stampers actively involved and the new stampers are able to get ideas from the others. Also since stamping can seem intimidating this helps them know they can do it.

Shayla Taylor
Mesa, AZ

When I have new stampers I personally go over and visit with them. I try and find out what they want to use their stamps for - a gift for someone, for making specific cards or starting a new hobby. I show them my stamp kit form that I have made up and explain how they will have all the materials they need to get started stamping and how much money they will save by stamping their own cards. I have three stamp kits I offer: 1 features Button Bear, 1 features Nice & Easy Notes and one is titled "Your  Way Any Way" in which they choose what they want in their kit (colors, background paper, scissors, stamp set) I almost always sell at least one kit at every workshop and usually to the new stampers.

I also have a place in my demonstration where I need to do some cutting for layering so as I am cutting I hand out a piece of cardstock and a stamp and a pad and have the new people take turns stamping as I am cutting. Helps avoid that uncomfortable silence. Once they see that stamping is not that hard they are a little more interested in doing it.

Hope these ideas help.

Sheila Jenniges
from MN

Two things that come to mind re: what I have said that sticks in the minds of my customers / guests...

1) when demonstrating how to assemble a wood stamp.. I always tell them (my humor part) 'cut as close to the image as possible (pause) NOW if you cut your image you have a one of a kind stamp... NO ONE else has one like YOURS!" (someone always chuckles).  

2) I remind customers that 'there are NO mistakes in rubber stamping... only room for embellishments".  This comment seems to ease their anxiety about making a 'mistake'... I tell them to stamp on another piece of paper, cut it out and glue over what THEY think is a mistake; add a ribbon; give the paper a ripped edge look; add mulberry paper, layer... etc...   There you have a couple ideas from me.... hope someone enjoys and can use them!

Denise Root
Millerton, PA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are my thoughts...

-  Don't try to impress with mind-blowing cards.  Keep the majority of  the cards, scrapbook pages, or gifts simple.  Too fancy with 10 steps will get oohs and aahs but they'll be intimdated and end up leaving with a glue pen for their kiddo- ha!

-  Emphasize selling the set rather then the technique.  Demo. the set and really emphasize the versatility of that set.  If you have a flip bag/baggie book to show other samples, all the better.  I always feel that I've really done a bang-up job if 3 or 4 people order the sets I demoed.

-  Try and vary it so as to maximize what they see.  I usually show one card with a closed/bold set.  Straight stamping.  No coloring.  The second is usually an open/colorbook set and I do a monochromatic card just in case they aren't into coloring.  The third is usually another open/colorbook set done with either  the chalks or the watercolor pencils and blender pens.

Then, I finish with a scrapbook page or little project such as a gift, candle, towel, etc.  Prior to the show, I like to ask the host if his/her guests are scrapbookers or crafters so I can get a better feel for what to demo.

-  I think the most important time spent preparing is deciding on what to demo.  My goal is to maximize what products I show without coming up with projects that intimidate.  That's why I only like to use one (sometimes two) gadgets per item.  During my first few months of demoing, I got incredibly sick of certain sets and techniques but the sales were great so I just slapped on a smile and kept going.  I think the tendency when we start getting bored is to create more fabulous, wonderful, amazing cards.  I continually have to remind myself NOT TO INTIMDATE and get a feel for my audience.  Some of my hosts are hosting for the 5th and 6th times.  For them, I demo. new techniques I've learned and new sets from SU.  I've learned just because they own half the sets in the catalog, doesn't mean they want to spent an hour on a card.  When I was new, I always got nervous when it got really quiet.  Probably because my very first show were my friends from a drama group and they were all hooping and hollering which, I now now, was extremely unusual.  So when your group is quiet, it doesn't mean that they're bored out of their goards.  They are just concentrating and memorizing.  If I finish a card and still no one says anything, I usually like to say, "You can hold your applause 'til the end, ladies".  That always cracks them up and it relaxes me.  O.K, it's late...sorry if I'm repetitive.  Best of luck with your show!

Take care.  Yours, Peg

Make sure to tell them how and with what to clean their stamps. Basic, huh?  Last week I had a lady say "You have to clean the stamps, I don't".  Honest!:)

I always try to out do myself at a workshop, however, I can overwhelm beginners that way. I try to show simple projects to hook 'em!:)

About enthusiasm, if you love to stamp it will show, you will be enthusiastic and they will see that.

Good luck to you, and remember to have fun!

Suzanne Butts
 Fresno, CA

One thing I do is mount a booking stamp while I'm talking to them.  Or one from a hostess set I've recently received, which is actually easier.

As far as the humor....I do Totally Hands On.  I'm sometimes nervous  when I'm showing them how to do the projects.  And besides, I'm a better marketer than a stamper.  So, I tell them that I can almost guarantee that their stuff will look better than mine at the end of the night.  And you know why?  Because they won't have 15 people watching them stamp!  So far, they've chuckled, although I got a pretty somber crowd last Tuesday.  Still did $500 so I can't complain.

Good luck!
 You Betcha!
 Ann M. Clemmer ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the things I like to emphasize to all stampers, new or experienced is that "mistakes" are just opportunities for creativity!  Don't be afraid of making mistakes!  Show them how to fix boo-boos, even if it just means flipping the piece of cs over!  That's how you can bring in cover-ups like cut-outs, appliques, glitter, etc!!

Laurie Ann Woo
San Francisco

One of the things I always try to do is to take them out of the thought process that stamping is only for making cards.  I try to show that if they are stuck on cards at least they can make a coordinating tissue and bag to go with the gift.  When I show them candles, and velvet and some of the other things then their imaginations start to blossom.  I also emphasize how very versatile even one set could be.  Hope this helps.

Heather Ruskievicz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I always teach my beginners how to stamp with the regular ink pads, the markers on the stamp/huff technique, masking, & rainbow pads.  I touch on watercolor pencils/chalks & the blender pen.  I want them to know the different options they have for coloring in their projects.  Oh and the 2 way glue pen and the dazzling diamonds glitter is a must have also.  I don't do alot of layering for beginners cause I think that scares them into thinking it's too time consuming and too much $$ investment.  I keep it simple and tell them we can build from there when they're ready...works for me!

Good luck!
Sandy Puyleart

<< What about stamping should they definitely learn about their first workshop? >>

*difference between stamp store purchased pre-mounted and our mount your own

*how to mount stamps/protect wood from stains

*how to keep set (use of index sitcker, keeping in container

*how to care for stamps (I teach clean before and after stamping or changing colors!!!)

*how to use our stamp cleaner pad and mist

*how to ink

*how to print--avoid rocking, applying pressure, etc..

*images, styles and techniques suited to them

*basic tools to get started based on technique they favor most!

*cardstock comparisons

*48 coordinated colors--effective palettes chosen and everything in 1 color matches!

*how easy & fun it is!

Laurie Ann Woo in San Francisco

Also, ask how many send cards...hoiw long does it take...how much do they pay???  Take a store bought card that you love--then make one for the same occasion...show how quickly you can handmake a card--faster than hopping in the car to go to the store, choose one, stand in line to pay for it!

Which do they like better?  Then do cost...tell them how much a hand-made card really costs, how much they go for in upscale stores like Papyrus ($x!)...this card uses less than .xx cents worth of cardstock...I used just 1 pad at $x and this cardstock which costs $x and $x (enough for 48 cards...) which I can use to make x # of cards  the set I used averages $x per stamp which is quite a deal...here's a stamp that's smaller and the label from the stamp store says $x!!!  If I made x cards w/ this set--it's paid for.  I'd say I'm ahead and I've had fun for it!  Something like that,

Laurie Ann Woo
 San Francisco

I have a techniques form that our granny upline gave us. It has boxes with these items: markers, Black watercolor pad and markers, black watercolor pad and pastels, ink pads and markers, watercolor pencils and blender pen, kaleidacolor pad, bold stamp vs. line stamp, tob boss pad , deatail embossing powder, glitter and 2 way glue pen, wheel, ink cartridge, and handle, air art gun,  wavy scissors, and maxi wave scissors. All this is printed on US White and is 8 1/2 x 11. I want to change it to add the encore pads. We are also creating a booklet of all techniques that she got from someone in Ohio.  What do you say about Stampin' Up; how do you create an enthusiasm for stamping?  I just share what I love and my enthusiasm shines through.

What are some quips humorous or otherwise that help with your presentation?  I don't have any right now.

What about stamping should they definitely learn about their first workshop? The difference in the kinds of pads, why our markers, pads and paper are better than Michael's. How the stamps come and how to mount them. How the catalog is laid out. How to do a monochromatic card and a layered card.

Some things that I know are important to do:

*present our 48 color coordinating c/s. ink pads, and markers

*tell how to mount the stamps

*tour of the catalog noting the hostess benefits and hostess stamp sets

*encourage them to host a workshop

*present the idea of them becoming a demonstrator

Thanks for your help, and I will compile your answers and post them bac

I hope this helps.

Joan Norman

An important thing to note is not to rock the stamp. I always show this by rocking it a lot to show what happens. Then I show the correct way to stamp.  Explain how to mount a stamp and why SU! doesn't mount the stamps for them, keeps the price down. Then I explain the benefits of mounted the stamp yourself. I also like to discuss the price difference in SU! stamps and store bought stamps. The best way to do it is to show a store bought stamp that cost around $14.00 or so the show a set you can get from SU! for about that price.

Mariekan Strachan
 Ferrum, VA

I think the key is to Keep It Simple Stamping...  The beginner stamper is *easily* overwhelmed.  They see some of the fantastic samples and think, I could never do that.  For beginning stampers I focus on three things...

1) Pad stamping - I pick solid stamps that don't need to be colored in (or I do a monochromatic theme)

2) Outline stamping - Basic Black pad and one medium to color in with (pastels, markers, watercolor pencils, etc.)

3) Roller wheels - to show how quick and easy they can make a background, decorate a gift box, etc.

I think another key is to get the beginning stampers hands on the stamps.  Show them that yes, they CAN do it.

When eyes start glazing over, I pull the last project.  Then I spend more time individually with them asking them questions about what they want to do.  Do they want to make cards - for general holidays - direct them to Nice & Easy Notes or a similar one that has general greeting designs & words.  Then I help them pick out the things they need to go with it - cardstock, ink, etc.  However with the new kits that SU! offers in the catalog, I'll focus on the first 4 for people who want to do cards and the last 2 for those who want to do scrapbooks.

-Coleen

I always carry a couple copies of the beginner workshop placemats (on the SUDSOL Website) with me in my tote - one I have already stamped and laminated. I can pull them out and and show the beginner the different simple ideas, and then ask if they would like to have a workshop to show these simple, basic techniques to their friends.

Shel Anderson wrote

Patti Scanlan Fort Peck, Montana