classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Giving away retired product with orders

Linda Willimer
Help!

I have a demo friend who has been approached by someone who wants to place a large (over $400) order with her on the basis that she gets the equivalent amount in retired goods as well.

I know some demos use this practice to boost sales and get rid of their inventory of retired/unwanted/overstocked items, but am concerned that this girl, in an effort to get a good order will end up giving away everything she has!!

Can anyone help me with common sense answer/wording for my demo friend to use in responding to this potential customer. Been sick for weeks and my brain is fried.

Thanks in anticipation

Linda
Linda Willimer
Stampin' Up! Senior Supervisor
Pennington, NJ
Email: stampingbeauty@hotmail.com
Facebook: Linda Willimer, Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
My Online Store - lindawillimer.stampinup.net
My Blog - willimer.com/Stamping with Tea and Cake
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Giving away retired product with orders

Phyllis Strickland

As a business owner I have to say this practice has never made sense to me.  I think the reasoning is it was "paid" for by sales.

Can you explain with a numbers approach - she would have had to sell at least $4,000 of these items at 20% commission to break even

I think you have to be a very high volume seller who buys very few products before this strategy makes any sense 

Phyllis Strickland
Stampin' Up! Supervisor
Goodville PA

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 23, 2015, at 12:43 PM, SUDSOL [Linda Willimer] via Business Talk <ml-node+s1100894n19788h62@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

stampingbeauty@hotmail.com?subject=Giving away retired product with orders
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: stampingbeauty@hotmail.com

Help!

I have a demo friend who has been approached by someone who wants to place a large (over $400) order with her on the basis that she gets the equivalent amount in retired goods as well.

I know some demos use this practice to boost sales and get rid of their inventory of retired/unwanted/overstocked items, but am concerned that this girl, in an effort to get a good order will end up giving away everything she has!!

Can anyone help me with common sense answer/wording for my demo friend to use in responding to this potential customer. Been sick for weeks and my brain is fried.

Thanks in anticipation

Linda
Linda Willimer
Pennington, NJ

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Linda Willimer, please change the email address to: stampingbeauty@hotmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Giving-away-retired-product-with-orders-tp19788.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h27@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Business Talk, click here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brenda Crawshaw
In reply to this post by Linda Willimer

How about "Thank you so much for contacting me!  I am happy to put an order in for you and remember, some retiring items are offered at a discount so be sure to check the list here (link).

As far as giving away an equal amount of retired product that is not something I do in my business.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.  Have a GREAT day!"

Love, Not a Dummie........

From: "SUDSOL [Linda Willimer] via Business Talk" <ml-node+s1100894n19788h98@.nabble>
To: "SUDSOL Group" <bhc62@>
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2015 12:43:02 PM
Subject: SU!: Giving away retired product with orders

stampingbeauty@hotmail.com?subject=Giving away retired product with orders
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: stampingbeauty@

Help!

Thanks in anticipation

Linda
Linda Willimer
Pennington, NJ
Email: stampingbeauty@

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Linda Willimer, please change the email address to: stampingbeauty@hotmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Giving-away-retired-product-with-orders-tp19788.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h63@.nabble
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.

Brenda Crawshaw Blog: http://www.TheCrawshawGroup.com Website: http://www.brendacrawshaw.stampinup.net Contact me! Bhc62@rcn.com or Brenda@TheCrawshawGroup.com 508-628-9765
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Giving away retired product with orders

Coleen Astalos

Linda,

If the other demo is so eager to do it, why is she asking your downline to do it?  Perhaps it's because she's out of business?!  As soon as your downline does this, she's setting a precedence for the future.  I think there are several ways she can approach it:

1) Tell her flat out No (I'm sorry, that's not something I'm able to do - no more explanation is necessary).

2) Tell her you'll chip in a retired set as a bonus for an order over $xx amount.

3) Turn the table around on her and offer a percent (20%? - not 100%!) of the sales of retired items towards new product in the catalog.   Do NOT discount the retired product - it's at full price.  Here is the math behind that scenario...

Customer buys $100 worth of retired product.  Customer pays $80.  Demo gives the customer $20 towards the new catalog order.  Demo paid $80 for the stuff initially, so she's getting back 100% of what she paid.  The $20 she's giving to the customer towards the new catalog stuff comes out of the $80 she gave the demo for the purchase of retired stuff.  So effectively the demo is getting $60 for the $80 original investment (or 75% of its original value).   Most people sell their retired stuff for less than that, so even with the new catalog "cash" she's coming out ahead.  

If she does this, I'd stipulate the amount she gets is treated like cash (total everything up including shipping & tax first, then subtract off the cash value).  She may also stipulate no hostess benefits can be redeemed on the order - giving the demo an opportunity to get those hostess benefits for herself.

While others may not agree with me, if you're doing it the right way (and not giving away the farm) this is a great way to get rid of retired stuff AND get some sales for the new catalog at the same time.

Coleen

Coleen Astalos, Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alamosa, CO, coleen@sudsol.com
See my website at http://alamosa.stampinup.net
Are you a demonstrator? Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!

From: ml-node+s1100894n19788h73@.nabble [mailto:ml-node+s1100894n19788h73@.nabble]
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2015 10:43 AM
To: SUDSOL Group

stampingbeauty@hotmail.com?subject=Giving%20away%20retired%20product%20with%20orders

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: stampingbeauty@hotmail.com

Help!

Thanks in anticipation

Linda

Linda Willimer
Pennington, NJ

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h38@n5.nabble.com

Coleen Astalos
SLB Member

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Re: SU!: Giving away retired product with orders

GrammyKaren

I agree about not giving away retired product.  I had a sale last year and sold almost $2000 in  retired stamps/papers/accessories in 2 days.  I kept things that were in current Occasions & Holiday Catalogs.  I have customers giving me their list of items they want.  I discount stamps by 20% and do not offer anything for future orders.  Our profit line is not so large that we can afford to just give it away.  I did use part of the money to support our local RMDH.  It helped me clear out clutter and support a great cause.  If you look at some of the sites, it will give you a good idea of what the stamps are selling at.
Just a thought,
Karen Bernhardt

On 04/23/15, SUDSOL [Coleen Astalos] via Business Talknabble.com> wrote:

coleen@sudsol.com?subject=RE: Giving away retired product with orders
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: coleen@sudsol.com

Linda,

If the other demo is so eager to do it, why is she asking your downline to do it?  Perhaps it's because she's out of business?!  As soon as your downline does this, she's setting a precedence for the future.  I think there are several ways she can approach it:

1) Tell her flat out No (I'm sorry, that's not something I'm able to do - no more explanation is necessary).

2) Tell her you'll chip in a retired set as a bonus for an order over $xx amount.

3) Turn the table around on her and offer a percent (20%? - not 100%!) of the sales of retired items towards new product in the catalog.   Do NOT discount the retired product - it's at full price.  Here is the math behind that scenario...

Customer buys $100 worth of retired product.  Customer pays $80.  Demo gives the customer $20 towards the new catalog order.  Demo paid $80 for the stuff initially, so she's getting back 100% of what she paid.  The $20 she's giving to the customer towards the new catalog stuff comes out of the $80 she gave the demo for the purchase of retired stuff.  So effectively the demo is getting $60 for the $80 original investment (or 75% of its original value).   Most people sell their retired stuff for less than that, so even with the new catalog "cash" she's coming out ahead.  

If she does this, I'd stipulate the amount she gets is treated like cash (total everything up including shipping & tax first, then subtract off the cash value).  She may also stipulate no hostess benefits can be redeemed on the order - giving the demo an opportunity to get those hostess benefits for herself.

While others may not agree with me, if you're doing it the right way (and not giving away the farm) this is a great way to get rid of retired stuff AND get some sales for the new catalog at the same time.

Coleen

Coleen Astalos, Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alamosa, CO, coleen@sudsol.com
See my website at http://alamosa.stampinup.net
Are you a demonstrator? Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!

From:ml-node+s1100894n19788h73@.nabble [mailto:ml-node+s1100894n19788h73@.nabble]
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2015 10:43 AM
To: SUDSOL Group

stampingbeauty@hotmail.com?subject=Giving%20away%20retired%20product%20with%20orders

Help!

Thanks in anticipation

Linda

Linda Willimer
Pennington, NJ

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h38@n5.nabble.com

Coleen Astalos
SLB Member

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Coleen Astalos, please change the email address to: coleen@sudsol.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Giving-away-retired-product-with-orders-tp19788p19798.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h22@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Giving away retired product with orders

Terri G
If she's placing a $400 order then let her use Hostess Credit to purchase the items she wants.  If this person will only place the order on the basis that she gets an equal amount in "freebies" then she needs to move on… that is not a customer I want!  

And once you've done this, you've set up the precedent for any and all future orders from her, plus it's not fair to any of your other customers!

Terri

Linda Willimer wrote
Help!

Thanks in anticipation

Linda
Reply | Threaded
|

Linda Willimer

Not me. I was trying to help a new demo friend and was looking for advice on how she could word her response.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 24, 2015, at 10:24 AM, "SUDSOL [Terri G] via Business Talk" <ml-node+s1100894n19830h66@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

tgeorge72@me.com?subject=Re: Giving away retired product with orders
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: tgeorge72@me.com

If she's placing a $400 order then let her use Hostess Credit to purchase the items she wants.  If this person will only place the order on the basis that she gets an equal amount in "freebies" then she needs to move on… that is not a customer I want!  

And once you've done this, you've set up the precedent for any and all future orders from her, plus it's not fair to any of your other customers!

Terri

Linda Willimer wrote
Help!

Thanks in anticipation

Linda

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Terri G, please change the email address to: tgeorge72@me.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Giving-away-retired-product-with-orders-tp19788p19830.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h29@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Giving away retired product with orders, click here.
Linda Willimer
Pennington, NJ