Charging for class at retirement center?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Charging for class at retirement center?

Sue Erickson

I am going to meet the activities director of a retirement center here in Mount Vernon. We are planning a stamping class where they would make probably just one card and get an envelope to go with it. The director says 1 hour is the maximum attention some of the residents would have so I think only one project would be about right. She wants to know how much the class charge for 15 and 20 attendees would be. I think a charge of $5 per person would be a better way to do it. For those who do hold classes in retirement homes, how much to you charge and how much do you provide? I'm hoping this will bring in more customers.

Sue Erickson, Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Life is good when you walk with God!

http://creationsbysue.stampinup.net
www.soggystamper.com
www.mydigitalcraftcorner.com

What would you do with some extra cash? Want a job where you decide when to work and how much you want to earn? Contact me for more details!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Charging for class at retirement center?

Antinonem

I charge $5 for my senior class.
Micki Antinone

-----Original Message-----
From: SUDSOL [ericksons] via Business Talk <ml-node+s1100894n26027h39@.nabble>
To: SUDSOL Group <mickiant@>
Sent: Mon, Jan 4, 2016 7:19 am
Subject: SU!: Charging for class at retirement center?

akviewpt@yahoo.com?subject=Charging for class at retirement center?
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: akviewpt@yahoo.com

I am going to meet the activities director of a retirement center here in Mount Vernon. We are planning a stamping class where they would make probably just one card and get an envelope to go with it. The director says 1 hour is the maximum attention some of the residents would have so I think only one project would be about right. She wants to know how much the class charge for 15 and 20 attendees would be. I think a charge of $5 per person would be a better way to do it. For those who do hold classes in retirement homes, how much to you charge and how much do you provide? I'm hoping this will bring in more customers.

www.soggystamper.com

What would you do with some extra cash? Want a job where you decide when to work and how much you want to earn? Contact me for more details!

If you want the reply to go ONLY to ericksons, please change the email address to: akviewpt@yahoo.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Charging-for-class-at-retirement-center-tp26027.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h95@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Business Talk, click here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Diane Lethbridge

Congrats on this new opportunity!  I live in south central FL -- lots or retirees!  A lot of my events are at retirement centers, senior church groups, etc.  Retirees living at retirement centers are potential customers, but many are downsizing and have limited storage.  I have sometimes found contacts among the staff and families of the seniors, so just be open to the possibilities.

The fee that you charge depends on several things.  First, is the "activity fee" already included in their residency fee?  If so, the Activities Director has a budget and $5 pp might be too high to make one card at a one-hour event for 15-20 people.  Try to find out what the typical event charges.

If the residents are each paying at the door, so to speak, then $5 sounds appropriate, although I think 2 cards (or a card and a simple 3-D item or bookmark) would be better.  I would use retired paper, etc. to keep my cost low.  If your goal is to get customers, you want them leaving with more than one card in their hand.  Will you be able to "sell" or promote your business at the event?  Many places do not allow it during the class, but people can see you after.

The 2-way glue pen is easier for them to use than snail or the glue stick.  Use wood stamps if you have them OR tell them not to remove the stamps from the acrylic blocks.  Have them on the blocks before the class starts.  I usually bring a helper who cleans the stamps when necessary.

Have you ever done a group of 20 people?  You need at least 2 and perhaps 3 groups and stamp sets.  Plan a project where the layout is similar but the image is different.  This gives you more flexibility.  Only about 5-6 people can effectively "share" one stamp and ink.  Will you have helpers?  What will the others do while you are helping one group? 

Kits (either SU or ones you put together) are good selling products.  For example build your class around Cottage Greetings Card Kit -- they each make two cards, then show the kit and take orders.  Many people in retirement centers have minimum storage and aren't looking to buy a lot of tools. 

Best wishes for your venture!
Diane Lethbridge 

mickiant@aol.com?subject=Re: SU!: Charging for class at retirement center?
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: mickiant@

Micki Antinone

akviewpt@?subject=Charging for class at retirement center?

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: akviewpt@

www.soggystamper.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to ericksons, please change the email address to:
akviewpt@

This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Charging-for-class-at-retirement-center-tp26027.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h95@.nabble

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Antinonem, please change the email address to:
mickiant@aol.com

This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Charging-for-class-at-retirement-center-tp26027p26036.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h11@.nabble

--
Diane L. Lethbridge
Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
designsbydiane@embarqmail.com
http://designsbydiane.stampinup.net
863-531-0141 OR 863-446-1549
Reply | Threaded
|

Selene Kempton
In reply to this post by Antinonem

Sue! 

I would bring paper pumpkin. Charge $5 per person or make it free if the subscribe. No prep for you and the can see the kits themselves. 

Selene

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 4, 2016, at 2:38 PM, SUDSOL [Antinonem] via Business Talk <ml-node+s1100894n26036h62@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

mickiant@aol.com?subject=Re: SU!: Charging for class at retirement center?
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: mickiant@aol.com

Micki Antinone

akviewpt@yahoo.com?subject=Charging for class at retirement center?
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: akviewpt@yahoo.com

www.soggystamper.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to ericksons, please change the email address to: akviewpt@yahoo.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Charging-for-class-at-retirement-center-tp26027.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h95@n5.nabble.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Antinonem, please change the email address to: mickiant@aol.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Charging-for-class-at-retirement-center-tp26027p26036.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h39@n5.nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
|

mackend
In reply to this post by Sue Erickson

I would start out with doing the one card - I think.  If their attention span is one hour, then I agree one card w/envelope and inside liner is necessary. 

If you do this again, then you will know what they can actually handle.  But, here's an idea, maybe two cards, and you do all the pre-cut, etc. work, and then all they need to do is put it together (keep it really simple), then charge $5, but if not and you do just the one card, then I would charge $2, and have almost everything done for them.

I live and teach in a retirement community, and they run loops around me LOL.  Never under estimate the new age of our youth/seniors. :-)

Hope this helps.  

Dottie :-)

To: SUDSOL Group <justdottie@>
Sent: Monday, January 4, 2016 7:19 AM

akviewpt@yahoo.com?subject=Charging%20for%20class%20at%20retirement%20center?
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: akviewpt@

www.soggystamper.com

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h95@.nabble
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.