CASE?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CASE?

grantj

I may be opening a can of worms, but figure this is the right place to start. I may ask the same question on Demonstrator Planning Place.

Recently, on JoAnn Loves Papercrafts, there was a lengthy discussion about copying work that others had posted on FB, Pinterest or Instagram. Some thought nothing should ever be copied. Some thought it was okay to copy unless the original included a watermark. Some insisted you had to get permission from the originator, and include that  permission when you posted the item, watermark or not. Some said that as long as your changed one thing, like the color or placement of an element, it was okay to make an exact copy. And there were several variations on each of those themes.

I know that SU! encourages us to CASE – at least the things in the catalogs, and that we have to note the SU! Copyright information on anything we post and/or sell on-line or “in person.” I’m interested to know how you all feel about having your creations copied and perhaps presented as someone else’s work. I find it difficult to know who the originator is of some projects on Pinterest, especially. However, as first an English teacher, and secondly a Pastor, I am very aware of copyright infringement. I have always remembered the story of the church that was forced to sell it’s parking lot because they used They’ll Know We Are Christians By Our Love without proper acknowledgement, or payments.

Please, let’s keep this a civil conversation. Ideas, opinions and solutions are welcome, Just be nice!

Jan Grant

Independent Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: CASE?

Maria Pobre

I was taught that CASE-ing was ethical as long as credit is given to the original designer. I find designers only show a small portion of their project in situations where they don’t want their work CASEd. That said, I seldom actually case another’s work. I mostly use them as inspiration.

Happy Stampin'~

Maria Pobre

On Oct 3, 2019, at 11:53 AM, SUDSOL [grantj] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n49985h67@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

revjanstamps@comcast.net?subject=CASE?
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: revjanstamps@comcast.net

I may be opening a can of worms, but figure this is the right place to start. I may ask the same question on Demonstrator Planning Place.

Recently, on JoAnn Loves Papercrafts, there was a lengthy discussion about copying work that others had posted on FB, Pinterest or Instagram. Some thought nothing should ever be copied. Some thought it was okay to copy unless the original included a watermark. Some insisted you had to get permission from the originator, and include that  permission when you posted the item, watermark or not. Some said that as long as your changed one thing, like the color or placement of an element, it was okay to make an exact copy. And there were several variations on each of those themes.

I know that SU! encourages us to CASE – at least the things in the catalogs, and that we have to note the SU! Copyright information on anything we post and/or sell on-line or “in person.” I’m interested to know how you all feel about having your creations copied and perhaps presented as someone else’s work. I find it difficult to know who the originator is of some projects on Pinterest, especially. However, as first an English teacher, and secondly a Pastor, I am very aware of copyright infringement. I have always remembered the story of the church that was forced to sell it’s parking lot because they used They’ll Know We Are Christians By Our Love without proper acknowledgement, or payments.

Please, let’s keep this a civil conversation. Ideas, opinions and solutions are welcome, Just be nice!

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to grantj, please change the email address to: revjanstamps@comcast.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/CASE-tp49985.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h25@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: SU!: CASE?

Cathy Hansen
In reply to this post by grantj

When I post projects to my blog that I have either CASED or partially CASED, I always give credit to the original designer to the extent I’m able to find that information.  If I have a website for that person I also add a link to that site so viewers can see the original design.

I have had a few people ask me if they could copy my designs.  I’m always very flattered that people actually like my creations enough to copy them.

The fact is, any time I post something online, I understand that it’s open to the public.  At that point I assume people will copy it if they like it, and I have absolutely no problem with that.  I sell my cards only in my own craft room and in small venue craft fairs and stamping classes; nothing online, so I suppose that may be why I’m not upset about people copying my ideas.

I had a woman attending my classes several years ago who always took copious notes and asked lots of questions about my cards.  I finally asked her if she was using my designs in her own classes (she represented a competitor company at the time).  She looked at me sheepishly and admitted that she was.  I’m sure she was totally floored by my reaction – I responded that I was very flattered that she liked my designs enough to copy them!

So I’m sure this will be an unpopular comment, but since you asked, I’m giving you my honest feelings about it.

Cathy Hansen

Denver, CO

From: ml+s1100894n49985h38@.nabble <ml+s1100894n49985h38@.nabble>
Sent: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 7:54 PM
To: SUDSOL Group <cihansen04@>
Subject: SU!: CASE?

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: revjanstamps@comcast.net

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to grantj, please change the email address to: revjanstamps@comcast.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/CASE-tp49985.html

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h96@n7.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Business Talk, click here.

Reply | Threaded
|

joyce pacer

I think it is a compliment to have a card or project cased and more than glad to give an interested person  information if they need it.  I often case cards to show my customers but I do give the person the credit and do not try to pass it off as my work.  I feel that the more my customers see ways to use a set, the more apt they are to purchase it.  When you show someone else's work, give them full credit. I encourage my customers to check out other ideas using our sets.  I have yet to have one to go to another demonstrator and purchase the set.  If you have a good customer relationship they will stick with you.  I have a couple that have been customers since I started 19 1/2 years ago.

Joyce Pacer

On October 2, 2019 at 9:53 PM "SUDSOL [grantj] via Business Talk" <ml+s1100894n49985h49@.nabble> wrote:

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: revjanstamps@

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h7@.nabble
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.
Joyce Pacer
Business Chat
Reply | Threaded
|

Jeanne Moss

I feel it’s important to give people credit for their creations.  I don’t mind someone casing my cards, but I do like to be given credit for the design, and I always try to give credit when using someone else’s design for inspiration.  Although, sometimes great minds just think alike.  As an example, in tonight’s chat, Joyce posted a picture of a treat that was almost identical to one I had just finished not ten minutes earlier!  And, I hadn’t even seen a picture.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t participate in too many swaps anymore.  Most swaps don’t want the designers information on the swaps.  One of my swaps showed up on another demos blog without any credit, or even acknowledgement that she had received it in a swap, which made it look like her own work.  She is a million dollar seller.

Another one of my cards was copied exactly, and showed up on another million dollar sellers blog as being created by one of her downline.

Jeanne Moss
jeanne.moss@
http://jeannemoss.stampinup.net
www.bluegrassstamper.com

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 2, 2019, at 9:49 PM, SUDSOL [grantj] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n49985h76@.nabble> wrote:

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: revjanstamps@

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h34@.nabble
Reply | Threaded
|

Judi Carpenter

I'm sorry that happened to you, Jeanne.  It did to me, too.  I was a display stamper for the Milwaukee OnStage event last time around.  And a whole bunch of my cards (all my designs, too, by the way) appeared on a big name demonstrator's blog soon afterward, with her watermark over them!  I commented on her post and she responded with a defense that didn't make me feel good about her.  She could and should have given me credit for each one, instead of just posting that several were mine (after the first post, of course, as an addition to it, which most people wouldn't have seen).  I just felt it was totally out of line.  Most demonstrators are very good about this and give credit to those who created the stuff they show.  But making excuses for not doing it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  My cards show up on pinterest and of course they have her watermark on them.  Not nice.

Thanks for letting me rant.  I'll stop now and get ready for bed!

Judi

Judi Carpenter, Decatur, IL
SUDSOL Gallery Coordinator
Haf2Stamp Team Leader
717 Crestline Drive, Decatur, IL 62526
217-875-0092    jcarpy02@aol.com (zero by 2)

In a message dated 10/2/2019 10:22:38 PM Central Standard Time, ml+s1100894n49992h49@.nabble writes:

stampingal@live.com?subject=Re: SU!: CASE?
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: stampingal@live.com

I feel it’s important to give people credit for their creations.  I don’t mind someone casing my cards, but I do like to be given credit for the design, and I always try to give credit when using someone else’s design for inspiration.  Although, sometimes great minds just think alike.  As an example, in tonight’s chat, Joyce posted a picture of a treat that was almost identical to one I had just finished not ten minutes earlier!  And, I hadn’t even seen a picture.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t participate in too many swaps anymore.  Most swaps don’t want the designers information on the swaps.  One of my swaps showed up on another demos blog without any credit, or even acknowledgement that she had received it in a swap, which made it look like her own work.  She is a million dollar seller.

Another one of my cards was copied exactly, and showed up on another million dollar sellers blog as being created by one of her downline.

Jeanne Moss
jeanne.moss@

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 2, 2019, at 9:49 PM, SUDSOL [grantj] via Business Talk <ml+ s1100894n49985h76@.nabble > wrote:

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+ s1100894n3h34@.nabble

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Jeanne Moss, please change the email address to: stampingal@live.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/CASE-tp49985p49992.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h90@n7.nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Nancy Sutton

Hi Jan, I too find this to be a controversial subject.  I have a Business FB page and I post ads which I have paid for via FB and other demos have shared them.  I am also part of the Newsletter coop in SUDSOL and others have also shared those posts.  I have also copied posts from others but I always change the wording to make it more personal to my customers.  If I copy a card, paper craft or scrap page I always ensure I give credit where  credit is due.  
Ten years ago when I first started with SU I used another demos card and did not give her credit as I considered it “casing” .  That demo contacted me and said it wasn’t right or honest to do that, I apologized and I have never done that again.  I think she was right, whether I said it was my work or just gave the impression it was, it is deceitful.  There is no shame in using another demos work and giving them the credit.  There is no shame in casing a piece of art, idea or technique but do make changes to make it your own.  There are many talented people and having a variety of styles is never a bad thing.  In my opinion I think we should all be thoughtful of each other and we won’ run into difficulties.  Just my comments from the peanut gallery :)

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 2, 2019, at 11:19 PM, SUDSOL [grantj] via Business Talk <ml+s1100894n49985h88@n7.nabble.com> wrote:

Jan Grant

Springfield, IL

revjanstamps@comcast.net

(217) 415-1860

Virus-free. www.avg.com

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml+s1100894n3h46@n7.nabble.com
Nancy Sutton
Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Kingston, Ontario
www.rainbowsandbutterflies.stampinup.net
www.facebook.com/2stamp4you
A good day always includes stamping!!