classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Blendabilities

Cindy Blancett
Super excited about announcements, all of them, but especially about the Blendabilities. I'm sure there will be a certification class. When I dropped from being a demo, I did become Copic certified and using these markers will be a total dream come true for me. I hope there's a good price point and Copic markers (all made in Japan) are now in the $7-9 range EACH. I can't afford that. The refills are also expensive but you do get a lot. Copic has almost $400 markers total and was a significant investment on my behalf. A lot of people are switching to Spectrum Noir with 168 markers and a price point of about $1.25 a marker. Their refills for all 168 markers was in the $600 range but you will never run out of this stuff.

There are several different types of Copics: Sketch (most popular), Ciao (same as sketch but holds less ink) and the Original. All markers are double-ended.

The Sketch has a brush tip and chisel.
The Ciao has the same as the Sketch.
The Original has a fine tip (not like SUs at all) to get into those small places, which I love, and a chisel end.

The perfect alcohol marker for me would be one with a fine tip and brush. Spectrum Noir announced that with their 2nd generation markers that included a redesign so you can switch out the nibs. There's my perfect marker. I can now color in the little places and blend with the brush.

I hope that SUs markers have a fine tip and brush. You can Google the above to see what I mean by fine tip as it's not what you might be thinking and to see the other types of brushes that are available.

I am so glad that SU is jumping on board the industry with alcohol markers and many other new products and changes. I have found a few SU colors with the markers we have now that I've been able to use in a "Copic manner" but only with small images. It doesn't work, at least for me, using larger images as they were not designed to be used that way. Karen, and why is her last name escaping me? She's on the SUOChallenges.com DT, has been able to do this with red on flowers and has a tutorial at Splitcoast Stampers as well.

Now, it would be great to have a die-cut for everything! I know a lot of companies still use die-cuts, which is great and I love them, but a few companies are using the Silhouette and are making customized cut files for their images.

I'd love to see more line art and products not retiring so fast as it's very hard to get published using an all SUO card as the magazines run about 9 months in advance. I can only submit something right after a new catalog release that leaves me a very short time window and the product will only be available for 2-3 months max AFTER the magazine is published.

Back to the Blendabilities, the marker that everybody is calling the "eraser" not only cleans up, and I say that lightly as it's not really made for that. It's made to blend and push colors around and it's still a blender marker. It does pull color off depending on how big the "outside of the lines" coloring is and the color that was used. If it was red, forget it as you're just pushing that color around but sometimes you can "push" it back into the image. But with this great marker, you can take off color purposely where you colored, like to add polka dots, stripes, and all sorts of fun things. Let's say that you don't really like the color or didn't feel that you have a good blend on a flower petal, this marker allows you to push around color and pull it off.

Coloring is really easy as it's just light, medium dark and then medium and light, and blend away the lines between each color.

Spectrum Noir had a bit of a learning curve for me as they are light or dark first, light and then medium. There's tutorials at spectrumnoir.com.

For Copic markers, ilikemarkers.com is a great resource.

I can whip out a fast video on Copic markers and coloring if any of you are interested. Just reply on this thread and I will give you the URL as I will have to mark it "unlisted" since it's demonstration of a non-SU product. In the same video, I can do a Spectrum Noir presentation as well. Just let me know.

I do hope the above helped somebody about alcohol markers. I just know that I am incredibly excited about this and can't wait until we are able to get our hands on them. This is awesome along with the other announcements made.

I didn't see on Mary Fish's FB page about the Blendabilities, but I did read about it here. I will have to go hunting for the other announcements as I may have missed some and check out the SU demo website.

I am wondering how this is going to be pulled off on Whisper White since that paper is not made for alcohol blenders AT ALL and will blend right through them and outside your image as there's not enough weight. I do wish we would get a 120 lb weight white card stock and neutrals. Our colored paper is heavier than our white which for me, makes it hard to keep my card standing and almost impossible to layer it up since the Whisper White's weight won't hold up to it. This is also something I can show you in the video too.

Across the board, alcohol markers are alcohol markers across the board. There's just different colors of them. I've mixed Copic and Spectrum Noir markers together before and have come up with some awesome and unique colors.

I also hope the refills are inexpensive and we have the option of my perfect marker with the fine nib and brush tip or at least the option of changing them out, because this is going to be a tremendous investment on all SU demo's behalf and one of those things that if you really want to push sales and demo them in classes, etc., you will have to invest in the entire line at the same time to show off all of the colors to your customers so they buy them all. That's just my opinion, but it's something that I personally plan on doing so it's time to start saving and setting aside some money for this and for the other products.

Sorry for the long post. I'm going to go and read what others have been writing and thanks to all of you who have been sharing announcements!

I will be posting a few projects in the Design Team Gallery today and over this weekend. I will be focusing on Christmas Thank You cards and I know we are all so burnt out on that so no red or green - promise!

I'm trying to get my other craft room organized, which has taken months so far and also trying to organize all of the new products with SAB too. Then I get to go home and do the same. I cannot work in chaos and just want to get them both perfectly organized and see the floor. I have a puppy who likes SU too.

Have a wonderful day!

Cindy Blancett (Coutts)
Proud to be part of the SUDSOL Design Team!
SUDSOL Design Team
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Blendabilities

Cindy Blancett
My original post is down below, BUT, before I became an SU demo, I did make a very recent video on Spectrum Noir markers. As there were tight spots, I showed how to "blend" using one marker and then with the snowmen, I showed how to "muddy them up." It's 33 minutes since it was a teaching tutorial of sorts, but hop and skip through it. Spectrum Noir Video

Here's a short video that I found that's 14 minutes long coloring a rose with Copic markers of red and green with blending, and like I said, I can do a mean red, but since I had to keep this project a quick and easy one, there's not the type of blending I usually do, but you will get what you need, I think. When you hear me mention what colors like R24, R27, R29, those are the markers that I use to blend out my reds. I'm sure that SU will have a great color chart as to what is what. Copic Marker Video

Enjoy and thank you for watching!

Oh, and if you click on my name below, that will take you straight to my blog which was sorely neglected over the holidays.

Cindy Blancett wrote
Super excited about announcements, all of them, but especially about the Blendabilities. I'm sure there will be a certification class. When I dropped from being a demo, I did become Copic certified and using these markers will be a total dream come true for me. I hope there's a good price point and Copic markers (all made in Japan) are now in the $7-9 range EACH. I can't afford that. The refills are also expensive but you do get a lot. Copic has almost $400 markers total and was a significant investment on my behalf. A lot of people are switching to Spectrum Noir with 168 markers and a price point of about $1.25 a marker. Their refills for all 168 markers was in the $600 range but you will never run out of this stuff.

There are several different types of Copics: Sketch (most popular), Ciao (same as sketch but holds less ink) and the Original. All markers are double-ended.

The Original has a fine tip (not like SUs at all) to get into those small places, which I love, and a chisel end.

The perfect alcohol marker for me would be one with a fine tip and brush. Spectrum Noir announced that with their 2nd generation markers that included a redesign so you can switch out the nibs. There's my perfect marker. I can now color in the little places and blend with the brush.

I hope that SUs markers have a fine tip and brush. You can Google the above to see what I mean by fine tip as it's not what you might be thinking and to see the other types of brushes that are available.

I am so glad that SU is jumping on board the industry with alcohol markers and many other new products and changes. I have found a few SU colors with the markers we have now that I've been able to use in a "Copic manner" but only with small images. It doesn't work, at least for me, using larger images as they were not designed to be used that way. Karen, and why is her last name escaping me? She's on the SUOChallenges.com DT, has been able to do this with red on flowers and has a tutorial at Splitcoast Stampers as well.

Now, it would be great to have a die-cut for everything! I know a lot of companies still use die-cuts, which is great and I love them, but a few companies are using the Silhouette and are making customized cut files for their images.

I'd love to see more line art and products not retiring so fast as it's very hard to get published using an all SUO card as the magazines run about 9 months in advance. I can only submit something right after a new catalog release that leaves me a very short time window and the product will only be available for 2-3 months max AFTER the magazine is published.

Back to the Blendabilities, the marker that everybody is calling the "eraser" not only cleans up, and I say that lightly as it's not really made for that. It's made to blend and push colors around and it's still a blender marker. It does pull color off depending on how big the "outside of the lines" coloring is and the color that was used. If it was red, forget it as you're just pushing that color around but sometimes you can "push" it back into the image. But with this great marker, you can take off color purposely where you colored, like to add polka dots, stripes, and all sorts of fun things. Let's say that you don't really like the color or didn't feel that you have a good blend on a flower petal, this marker allows you to push around color and pull it off.

Coloring is really easy as it's just light, medium dark and then medium and light, and blend away the lines between each color.

Spectrum Noir had a bit of a learning curve for me as they are light or dark first, light and then medium. There's tutorials at spectrumnoir.com.

I can whip out a fast video on Copic markers and coloring if any of you are interested. Just reply on this thread and I will give you the URL as I will have to mark it "unlisted" since it's demonstration of a non-SU product. In the same video, I can do a Spectrum Noir presentation as well. Just let me know.

I do hope the above helped somebody about alcohol markers. I just know that I am incredibly excited about this and can't wait until we are able to get our hands on them. This is awesome along with the other announcements made.

I didn't see on Mary Fish's FB page about the Blendabilities, but I did read about it here. I will have to go hunting for the other announcements as I may have missed some and check out the SU demo website.

I am wondering how this is going to be pulled off on Whisper White since that paper is not made for alcohol blenders AT ALL and will blend right through them and outside your image as there's not enough weight. I do wish we would get a 120 lb weight white card stock and neutrals. Our colored paper is heavier than our white which for me, makes it hard to keep my card standing and almost impossible to layer it up since the Whisper White's weight won't hold up to it. This is also something I can show you in the video too.

Across the board, alcohol markers are alcohol markers across the board. There's just different colors of them. I've mixed Copic and Spectrum Noir markers together before and have come up with some awesome and unique colors.

I also hope the refills are inexpensive and we have the option of my perfect marker with the fine nib and brush tip or at least the option of changing them out, because this is going to be a tremendous investment on all SU demo's behalf and one of those things that if you really want to push sales and demo them in classes, etc., you will have to invest in the entire line at the same time to show off all of the colors to your customers so they buy them all. That's just my opinion, but it's something that I personally plan on doing so it's time to start saving and setting aside some money for this and for the other products.

Sorry for the long post. I'm going to go and read what others have been writing and thanks to all of you who have been sharing announcements!

I will be posting a few projects in the Design Team Gallery today and over this weekend. I will be focusing on Christmas Thank You cards and I know we are all so burnt out on that so no red or green - promise!

I'm trying to get my other craft room organized, which has taken months so far and also trying to organize all of the new products with SAB too. Then I get to go home and do the same. I cannot work in chaos and just want to get them both perfectly organized and see the floor. I have a puppy who likes SU too.

Have a wonderful day!

Cindy Blancett (Coutts)
SUDSOL Design Team
Reply | Threaded
|  

Diane Harman
In reply to this post by Cindy Blancett
Thanks so much for sharing.  I bought about 25 Copics about 4 years ago. My gfs were crazy for them, and they each had 200+, and we would get together on weekends and stamp and color.  I enjoyed doing it, but didn't want to spend too much money on something I couldn't share or demonstrate.  But I did say in several surveys that I wish we had markers like copics.

I also said we needed nice stamps to color with them.  Plus I like the the stamps/dies cooridinating that Heartfelt Creations has.  Their stamps and dies make such beautiful cards.

Diane Harman

Reply | Threaded
|  

Cindy Blancett
Thanks! I just read that SU markers are my dream marker with a nib at one end and a brush at the other! Now I'm over the moon happy excited! They can't come out soon enough. About the images, we do need more line art in order to be able to fully utilize them. We have a few sets in the new catty. Best of Flowers is awesome for coloring and I can't wait to get my hands on Lovely as a Tree to color. I think we will see a lot of stamp changes when the June catty comes out and a bit of a different style as SU heads in a new direction keeping up with the industry.

Cindy Blancett wrote

Have a wonderful day!

Cindy Blancett (Coutts)
SUDSOL Design Team
Reply | Threaded
|  

Cindy Blancett
I'm starting to feel a bit dumb since I keep answering myself but I'm receiving a lot of personal emails with questions. You may or may not want to share your question, but here I think is the best way to ask them to share with other demos. If you email me personally, I will respond personally as that is very uncool to take a private email and take it public.

Have a great day!

Cindy Blancett wrote

Have a wonderful day!

Cindy Blancett (Coutts)
SUDSOL Design Team
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: SU!: Re: Blendabilities

Deborah Smart

Hi Cindy – thanks for sharing with us – this is great information!  I’m sure that we’re all excited about the new Blendabilities markers that are coming out; I’ve heard that they’ll be available in this first quarter; so before the new catalogue.
I understand you not wanting to share the emails you’re getting, but perhaps just rephrasing the questions, or putting them in point form, in front of your answers, might help the rest of us.  Just a thought!
Thanks again for sharing – your excitement is contagious!
Deborah Smart
Your Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator
604.298.0472 debsmart@
www.stampandcreate.net
www.facebook.com/stampandcreate
www.pinterest.com/deborahstamps

Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:11 AM
To: debsmart@shaw.ca
Subject: SU!: Re: Blendabilities

I'm starting to feel a bit dumb since I keep answering myself but I'm receiving a lot of personal emails with questions. You may or may not want to share your question, but here I think is the best way to ask them to share with other demos. If you email me personally, I will respond personally as that is very uncool to take a private email and take it public.

Have a great day!

Cindy Blancett wrote

Have a wonderful day!

Cindy Blancett (Coutts)
SUDSOL Design Team

If you want the reply to go ONLY to the author, please change the email address to: cindycoutts@gmail.com
If you just reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.sudsol.org/Blendabilities-tp4485p4513.html
To start a new topic under Swaps & SU! Events, email ml-node+s1100894n65h88@.nabble
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.
Deborah Smart
Stampin' Discuss Summary Coordinator