classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Blast from the Past - A Season for Balance

Ann Lewis

Background to the Blast from the Past articles

Welcome to this fortnight's Blast from the Past article.  For those who are unaware of the background to these articles, I thought I would share the history.  About 12 months ago, Coleen and Patti (the administrators for SUDSOL) uploaded all their past copies of the Stampin' Success (2003 onwards) to the SUDSOL boards as a resource for us all.  These magazines are just full of gems irrespective of when they were originally published.  Each fortnight I try to bring to life some of these past articles to share with you.  Sometimes it is business, other times it is creative and sometimes just fun….

Welcome to this fortnight's Blast from the Past article.  For those who are unaware of the background to these articles, I thought I would share the history.  About 12 months ago, Coleen and Patti (the administrators for SUDSOL) uploaded all their past copies of the Stampin' Success (2003 onwards) to the SUDSOL boards as a resource for us all.  These magazines are just full of gems irrespective of when they were originally published.  Each fortnight I try to bring to life some of these past articles to share with you.  Sometimes it is business, other times it is creative and sometimes just fun….

This fortnight's edition

The basis for this week's Blast from the Past edition is the September 2009 Stampin' Success magazine.  For those who follow Blast from the Past, you will know that I have been rummaging around the archives from long ago - 2003 and 2004.  Stamping styles, techniques and products have changed so much - strategies for success, less so. 

I thought this fortnight I would jump forward quite a few years to when My Digital Studio was king, the world's economy was struggling and mini albums were everywhere - September 2009, only eight years ago but it feels like a lifetime ago.   I was wandering through the magazine when I came across this article, A Season for Balance (p.29).  And it resonated with me.   It seems that most of us are struggling to maintain a balance in our lives.  This balance is so important but can be so difficult to achieve.

Tips to achieve balance in your Stampin' Up! life

This article highlighted some strategies which have worked for other demonstrators.  Maybe the gem you need can be found here.

Keep track of your time. Sometimes the little things can take up a lot of time and these can be eliminated with little or no impact on your demonstratorship, for example:
Making too many swaps for events - solution: reduce the number and be selective in which swaps you participate;

Designing all your projects yourself - solution: utilise all the resources on offer by Stampin' Up!'

Spending too time online - solution: have a specific goal in mind, meet it and then go offline.

Trying to always do what other demonstrators are doing - solution: choose ideas that fit your goals rather than trying to do it all.  I would add another one here - finish one new initiative before moving on to the next one so you don't get overwhelmed.  In other words, don't have too many balls in the air, as they might ALL crash.

Providing ALL the leadership for your downline -  solution: share the responsibility with others within your team.  This also builds self-confidence and empowers your team

2. Making sure you make time for family and friends.

3. Do not concern yourself with what someone else is or is not doing.

4. Never give up as there will always be highs and lows.Be flexible.Hopefully, these will help you reassess how you do your Stampin' Up! business whether you do it for a hobby or a business.

Hopefully, these tips will help you reassess how you do your Stampin' Up! business, irrespective whether you do it as a hobby or as a business.

If you want to read more from this article, visit http://sudsol.org/member/articles/stampin-success-magazine-archives/.   That is me for this fortnight,

Your Blast from the Past Coordinator

Ann Lewis