Being Brutal

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options Prev Topic | Next Topic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Being Brutal

Tanya Stottlemire

Because of an accident and some knee issues I have given up my large scrapbook area in my basement for a smaller bedroom upstairs and my son is moving downstairs. This will help me to be able to use my room more but I am losing A LOT of space. I can keep some stuff stored in the basement but not a lot and I don't want him to have to look at it all. So how can I be completely brutal in decluttering?  Crafters tend to hoard craft items. Some things are easy to get rid of but other things even though I know I will probably never use them again are just so hard.  I used to scrapbook traditionally and loved it but it has been YEARS since I have done a page that was not PL style. However I have many of the foam alphabet sets that I LOVED so much and used all the time that I know will probably never see paint again but I just don't know that I can part with them. They don't take up a lot of storage but other things do. I have little time to create anymore and it is usually spent on cards but I keep thinking maybe when the kids move out I will get back to it. How do you rid yourself of your items?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SU!: Being Brutal

Joan Norman

If you haven't used it in a  year, then it may be time to go is what most declutters will tell you.

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 3:12 PM, SUDSOL [Tanya Stottlemire] via Business Talk <ml-node+s1100894n20828h88@n5.nabble.com> wrote:
t_stottlemire@sbcglobal.net?subject=Being+Brutal
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: t_stottlemire@sbcglobal.net

Because of an accident and some knee issues I have given up my large scrapbook area in my basement for a smaller bedroom upstairs and my son is moving downstairs. This will help me to be able to use my room more but I am losing A LOT of space. I can keep some stuff stored in the basement but not a lot and I don't want him to have to look at it all. So how can I be completely brutal in decluttering?  Crafters tend to hoard craft items. Some things are easy to get rid of but other things even though I know I will probably never use them again are just so hard.  I used to scrapbook traditionally and loved it but it has been YEARS since I have done a page that was not PL style. However I have many of the foam alphabet sets that I LOVED so much and used all the time that I know will probably never see paint again but I just don't know that I can part with them. They don't take up a lot of storage but other things do. I have little time to create anymore and it is usually spent on cards but I keep thinking maybe when the kids move out I will get back to it. How do you rid yourself of your items?

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Tanya Stottlemire, please change the email address to: t_stottlemire@sbcglobal.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node%2Bs1100894n3h13@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, click here.

--
Joan Norman
Stampin' Up! demonstrator
stampnjoan@gmail.com

Cell: 502-548-5886
Phone: 502-239-4475

Reply | Threaded
|

Tanya Stottlemire

thank you for that reminder. I am trying to get rid of as much as I can. Bigger stuff I think is easier. Small stuff, embellishments, rub ons etc, a little harder. 
On May 31, 2015, at 3:16 PM, SUDSOL [Joan Norman] via Business Talk wrote:

stampnjoan@gmail.com?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20Being%20Brutal
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: stampnjoan@gmail.com

If you haven't used it in a year, then it may be time to go is what most declutters will tell you.

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 3:12 PM, SUDSOL [Tanya Stottlemire] via Business Talk <ml-node+s1100894n20828h88@n5.nabble.com> wrote:
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: t_stottlemire@sbcglobal.net

Because of an accident and some knee issues I have given up my large scrapbook area in my basement for a smaller bedroom upstairs and my son is moving downstairs. This will help me to be able to use my room more but I am losing A LOT of space. I can keep some stuff stored in the basement but not a lot and I don't want him to have to look at it all. So how can I be completely brutal in decluttering? Crafters tend to hoard craft items. Some things are easy to get rid of but other things even though I know I will probably never use them again are just so hard. I used to scrapbook traditionally and loved it but it has been YEARS since I have done a page that was not PL style. However I have many of the foam alphabet sets that I LOVED so much and used all the time that I know will probably never see paint again but I just don't know that I can part with them. They don't take up a lot of storage but other things do. I have little time to create anymore and it is usually spent on cards but I keep thinking maybe when the kids move out I will get back to it. How do you rid yourself of your items?

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Tanya Stottlemire, please change the email address to: t_stottlemire@sbcglobal.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node%2Bs1100894n3h13@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, <a href="x-msg://63/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

--
Joan Norman
Stampin' Up! demonstrator
stampnjoan@gmail.com

Cell: 502-548-5886
Phone: 502-239-4475

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Joan Norman, please change the email address to: stampnjoan@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828p20829.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h2@n5.nabble.com

Reply | Threaded
|

tinabatori
In reply to this post by Tanya Stottlemire

Hey, Tanya, I can only tell  you that the relief you'll feel when you purge all that stuff will be wonderful.  Here's how I got it to work for me:

I've had these products for xxxx number of years and I haven't used them yet.  However, they would be brand new and exciting to someone else.  

We have an artists' recycling shop here in Eugene, Oregon, and many places have folks who make scrapbooks for kids who are being adopted out of foster care, so the kids can know where they came from.  Or just your favorite thrift shop.

Also, I checked with the Sunday School at my church and they could use some of the products.

Styles have changed A BUNCH in the last several years, and as you mentioned, you use PL mostly now.  I say, get rid of it and get new stuff when you're ready to do traditional scrapbooking again.

YOU CAN DO IT.  And having your craft space closer to you means you will probably be more likely to do more crafting.  And you won't have to feel guilty about the money you spent on those supplies.  The money is gone.  

Remember, it's an opportunity to shed some weight.

I did my first purge of scrapbooking stuff when I became a demonstrator, because I didn't want to use anything that wasn't SU.  I've kept up with seasonal clear-ups because I love the delight that the recipients of materials experience.

Let us know how it goes, right?  And it's all good.

Cheers,

Tina Batori

(541) 556-7714 cell

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 12:12 PM, SUDSOL [Tanya Stottlemire] via Business Talk <ml-node+s1100894n20828h62@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

Because of an accident and some knee issues I have given up my large scrapbook area in my basement for a smaller bedroom upstairs and my son is moving downstairs. This will help me to be able to use my room more but I am losing A LOT of space. I can keep some stuff stored in the basement but not a lot and I don't want him to have to look at it all. So how can I be completely brutal in decluttering?  Crafters tend to hoard craft items. Some things are easy to get rid of but other things even though I know I will probably never use them again are just so hard.  I used to scrapbook traditionally and loved it but it has been YEARS since I have done a page that was not PL style. However I have many of the foam alphabet sets that I LOVED so much and used all the time that I know will probably never see paint again but I just don't know that I can part with them. They don't take up a lot of storage but other things do. I have little time to create anymore and it is usually spent on cards but I keep thinking maybe when the kids move out I will get back to it. How do you rid yourself of your items?

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node%2Bs1100894n3h87@n5.nabble.com

Tina Batori
Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Eugene, Oregon
tbatori99@gmail.com
(541) 556-7714
Reply | Threaded
|

Tanya Stottlemire

Thank you. I know you are right and I think I will get a big box and give a lot to some of the elementary teachers.  Most of the stuff I use is the same stuff over and over so I may as well purge it and have the space. 
On May 31, 2015, at 9:28 PM, SUDSOL [tinabatori] via Business Talk wrote:

tbatori99@gmail.com?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20Being%20Brutal
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: tbatori99@gmail.com

Hey, Tanya, I can only tell you that the relief you'll feel when you purge all that stuff will be wonderful. Here's how I got it to work for me:

I've had these products for xxxx number of years and I haven't used them yet. However, they would be brand new and exciting to someone else.

We have an artists' recycling shop here in Eugene, Oregon, and many places have folks who make scrapbooks for kids who are being adopted out of foster care, so the kids can know where they came from. Or just your favorite thrift shop.

Also, I checked with the Sunday School at my church and they could use some of the products.

Styles have changed A BUNCH in the last several years, and as you mentioned, you use PL mostly now. I say, get rid of it and get new stuff when you're ready to do traditional scrapbooking again.

YOU CAN DO IT. And having your craft space closer to you means you will probably be more likely to do more crafting. And you won't have to feel guilty about the money you spent on those supplies. The money is gone.

I did my first purge of scrapbooking stuff when I became a demonstrator, because I didn't want to use anything that wasn't SU. I've kept up with seasonal clear-ups because I love the delight that the recipients of materials experience.

Let us know how it goes, right? And it's all good.

Cheers,

Tina Batori

(541) 556-7714 cell

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 12:12 PM, SUDSOL [Tanya Stottlemire] via Business Talk <ml-node+s1100894n20828h62@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

Because of an accident and some knee issues I have given up my large scrapbook area in my basement for a smaller bedroom upstairs and my son is moving downstairs. This will help me to be able to use my room more but I am losing A LOT of space. I can keep some stuff stored in the basement but not a lot and I don't want him to have to look at it all. So how can I be completely brutal in decluttering? Crafters tend to hoard craft items. Some things are easy to get rid of but other things even though I know I will probably never use them again are just so hard. I used to scrapbook traditionally and loved it but it has been YEARS since I have done a page that was not PL style. However I have many of the foam alphabet sets that I LOVED so much and used all the time that I know will probably never see paint again but I just don't know that I can part with them. They don't take up a lot of storage but other things do. I have little time to create anymore and it is usually spent on cards but I keep thinking maybe when the kids move out I will get back to it. How do you rid yourself of your items?

To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node%2Bs1100894n3h87@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, <a href="x-msg://77/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

Tina Batori
Eugene, Oregon
tbatori99@gmail.com
(541) 556-7714

If you want the reply to go ONLY to tinabatori, please change the email address to: tbatori99@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828p20845.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h2@n5.nabble.com

Reply | Threaded
|

Jeanne Moss

Tanya, I wish I had some brilliant tips for you, but I think i'm on the verge of becoming a hoarder.... I need to clean out, too, but find it painful to do so.....

Jeanne Moss
jeanne.moss@live.com

Sent from my iPad

On May 31, 2015, at 11:17 PM, SUDSOL [Tanya Stottlemire] via Business Talk <ml-node+s1100894n20848h29@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

t_stottlemire@sbcglobal.net?subject=Re: SU!: Being Brutal

Thank you. I know you are right and I think I will get a big box and give a lot to some of the elementary teachers.  Most of the stuff I use is the same stuff over and over so I may as well purge it and have the space. 

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: tbatori99@gmail.com

Hey, Tanya, I can only tell you that the relief you'll feel when you purge all that stuff will be wonderful. Here's how I got it to work for me:

I've had these products for xxxx number of years and I haven't used them yet. However, they would be brand new and exciting to someone else.

We have an artists' recycling shop here in Eugene, Oregon, and many places have folks who make scrapbooks for kids who are being adopted out of foster care, so the kids can know where they came from. Or just your favorite thrift shop.

Styles have changed A BUNCH in the last several years, and as you mentioned, you use PL mostly now. I say, get rid of it and get new stuff when you're ready to do traditional scrapbooking again.

YOU CAN DO IT. And having your craft space closer to you means you will probably be more likely to do more crafting. And you won't have to feel guilty about the money you spent on those supplies. The money is gone.

I did my first purge of scrapbooking stuff when I became a demonstrator, because I didn't want to use anything that wasn't SU. I've kept up with seasonal clear-ups because I love the delight that the recipients of materials experience.

Cheers,

Tina Batori

(541) 556-7714 cell

To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, <a href="x-msg://77/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

Tina Batori
Eugene, Oregon
tbatori99@gmail.com
(541) 556-7714

If you want the reply to go ONLY to tinabatori, please change the email address to: tbatori99@gmail.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828p20845.html

This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828p20848.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h34@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Business Talk, click here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Maria Pobre

I'm with Jeanne! Add to that... It is often hard to find things here on Guam which makes us hoard things all the more!

Happy Stampin'~

On Jun 1, 2015, at 1:18 PM, SUDSOL [Jeanne Moss] via Business Talk <ml-node+s1100894n20849h51@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

stampingal@live.com?subject=Re: SU!: Being Brutal
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: stampingal@live.com

Tanya, I wish I had some brilliant tips for you, but I think i'm on the verge of becoming a hoarder.... I need to clean out, too, but find it painful to do so.....

Jeanne Moss

Sent from my iPad

On May 31, 2015, at 11:17 PM, SUDSOL [Tanya Stottlemire] via Business Talk <ml-node+s1100894n20848h29@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

Cheers,

Tina Batori

(541) 556-7714 cell

Tina Batori
Eugene, Oregon
tbatori99@gmail.com
(541) 556-7714

This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828p20848.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h34@n5.nabble.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Jeanne Moss, please change the email address to: stampingal@live.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828p20849.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h25@n5.nabble.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Robin Messenheimer

I agree with Maria. It's hard to find a lot of things on my island. This is one of the reasons I stopped buying anything other than Stampin' Up! I can always get what's in the SU! Catty.

I also have limited space. Yes I have my own room for crafting, but I have to be able to move around in it. So all that is retired, with limited exceptions, leaves this house as soon as I can donate it or sell it on eBay. I allow myself to keep a limited collection of tropical themed stuff and travel themed items for Scrapbooking my trips. The limit is that I have a box for said "stuff" and I have to be able to close the box. Right now it's full. If something comes up that I want to keep, something in that box has to go.

I won't be able to get my newly-retired stuff on eBay until later in the summer. But that I can find temporary space for in our garage. Garage is hubby's storage area, so I only get the space if I promise not to leave my stuff there for long. So checks and balances all around!

So you might think of a LIMITED theme that's important to you and allow yourself to keep times that fit the theme. Like "tropical" or "travel."

But get rid of all else. You will feel so much better.

Robin Messenheimer
Sent from my iPad

On May 31, 2015, at 5:27 PM, "SUDSOL [Maria Pobre] via Business Talk" <ml-node+s1100894n20851h50@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

miaguam01@yahoo.com?subject=Re: SU!: Being Brutal
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: miaguam01@yahoo.com

I'm with Jeanne! Add to that... It is often hard to find things here on Guam which makes us hoard things all the more!

Happy Stampin'~

On Jun 1, 2015, at 1:18 PM, SUDSOL [Jeanne Moss] via Business Talk <ml-node+s1100894n20849h51@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: stampingal@live.com

Jeanne Moss

Sent from my iPad

Cheers,

Tina Batori

(541) 556-7714 cell

Tina Batori
Eugene, Oregon
tbatori99@gmail.com
(541) 556-7714

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Jeanne Moss, please change the email address to: stampingal@live.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828p20849.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h25@n5.nabble.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Maria Pobre, please change the email address to: miaguam01@yahoo.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828p20851.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h62@n5.nabble.com
Robin Messenheimer Hilo, Hawaii https://robinscraftroom.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Tanya Stottlemire

that is a good idea. With 4 kids all into different activities I tend to have a lot of other stuff. But I am trying to list what I think I can sell (need new catty stuff anyway :)  )  and I think I will donate the rest to a few places. 
On Jun 1, 2015, at 12:12 AM, SUDSOL [Robin Messenheimer] via Business Talk wrote:

rmessenheimer@earthlink.net?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20Being%20Brutal
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: rmessenheimer@earthlink.net

I agree with Maria. It's hard to find a lot of things on my island. This is one of the reasons I stopped buying anything other than Stampin' Up! I can always get what's in the SU! Catty.

I also have limited space. Yes I have my own room for crafting, but I have to be able to move around in it. So all that is retired, with limited exceptions, leaves this house as soon as I can donate it or sell it on eBay. I allow myself to keep a limited collection of tropical themed stuff and travel themed items for Scrapbooking my trips. The limit is that I have a box for said "stuff" and I have to be able to close the box. Right now it's full. If something comes up that I want to keep, something in that box has to go.

I won't be able to get my newly-retired stuff on eBay until later in the summer. But that I can find temporary space for in our garage. Garage is hubby's storage area, so I only get the space if I promise not to leave my stuff there for long. So checks and balances all around!

So you might think of a LIMITED theme that's important to you and allow yourself to keep times that fit the theme. Like "tropical" or "travel."

Robin Messenheimer
Sent from my iPad

On May 31, 2015, at 5:27 PM, "SUDSOL [Maria Pobre] via Business Talk" <ml-node+s1100894n20851h50@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: miaguam01@yahoo.com

Happy Stampin'~

Jeanne Moss

Sent from my iPad

Cheers,

Tina Batori

(541) 556-7714 cell

To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, <a href="<a href="x-msg://77/">x-msg://77/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

Tina Batori
Eugene, Oregon
tbatori99@gmail.com
(541) 556-7714

To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, <a href="x-msg://83/" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

To unsubscribe from Business Talk, <a href="x-msg://83/" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, <a href="x-msg://83/" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Maria Pobre, please change the email address to: miaguam01@yahoo.com
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828p20851.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h62@n5.nabble.com
To unsubscribe from Business Talk, <a href="x-msg://83/" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.
Robin Messenheimer Pahoa, Hawaii http://robinscraftroom.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Robin Messenheimer, please change the email address to: rmessenheimer@earthlink.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828p20854.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Catherine Harwood

If you want to see one extreme process -- there is a Japanese book that has inspired a tidying up movement. Here is a link to the the Today show's story on her "does it spark joy" test for keeping or tossing.

Catherine Harwood, Independent Stampin' Up Demonstrator
Merritt Island on Florida's Space Coast
charwood@earthlink.net
321-449-9471  (H)
321-243-0213 (C)
Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/321stamp
Check out samples and ideas at: 
SHOP NOW Online at:

On Jun 1, 2015, at 12:50 AM, "SUDSOL [Tanya Stottlemire] via Business Talk" <ml-node+s1100894n20856h37@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

t_stottlemire@sbcglobal.net?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20Being%20Brutal

that is a good idea. With 4 kids all into different activities I tend to have a lot of other stuff. But I am trying to list what I think I can sell (need new catty stuff anyway :)  )  and I think I will donate the rest to a few places. 
On Jun 1, 2015, at 12:12 AM, SUDSOL [Robin Messenheimer] via Business Talk wrote:

rmessenheimer@earthlink.net?subject=Re:%20SU!:%20Being%20Brutal
If you just reply to this email, your message will go to all SUDSOL members, unless you change the To: email address to the author: rmessenheimer@earthlink.net

Robin Messenheimer
Sent from my iPad

Happy Stampin'~

Jeanne Moss

Sent from my iPad

Cheers,

Tina Batori

(541) 556-7714 cell

To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, <a href="<a href="<a href="x-msg://77/">x-msg://77/"><a href="x-msg://77/">x-msg://77/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

Tina Batori
Eugene, Oregon
tbatori99@gmail.com
(541) 556-7714

To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, <a href="<a href="x-msg://83/">x-msg://83/" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

To unsubscribe from Business Talk, <a href="<a href="x-msg://83/">x-msg://83/" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, <a href="<a href="x-msg://83/">x-msg://83/" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

To unsubscribe from Business Talk, <a href="<a href="x-msg://83/">x-msg://83/" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.
Robin Messenheimer Pahoa, Hawaii http://robinscraftroom.com

If you want the reply to go ONLY to Robin Messenheimer, please change the email address to: rmessenheimer@earthlink.net
This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828p20854.html
To unsubscribe from SUDSOL, <a href="x-msg://277/" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

This message can be found in the SUDSOL Discussion Forum here: http://forum.sudsol.org/Being-Brutal-tp20828p20856.html
To start a new topic under Business Talk, email ml-node+s1100894n3h94@n5.nabble.com